Poll: Are you a feminist?

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Are you a feminist?

Oxford English Dictionary Online said:
Feminism
noun
[mass noun]
the advocacy of women?s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/feminism?q=feminism

Oxford English Dictionary Online said:
Definition of feminist
noun
a person who supports feminism.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/feminist

If yes, then have you done anything active to advocate the equality of women's rights?

Incidentally, I am not asking why/why not you are/are not a feminist; that topic has been overdone already.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I wager most people would claim to want equality between the sexes, though there's be a lot of people repeatedly finding reasons not to support any particular thing that might bring it closer.

As to active, what do you mean by that?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I foolishly used to kind of call myself a feminist, but as time has gone on I've found that it's not really my place to call myself something like that. And like Jonluw stated, the word "feminism" can have a lot of different connotations, some of them pretty negative in my opinion.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
Yeah pretty much this. I'm not an activist but I believe women should have equal opportunity and rights as men and visa versa. Pretty simply really.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Jonluw said:
That's pretty much my reason for voting no. I'm for equal rights across the board, because it should be so already.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
I'm a fernimist, I believe in plant equality.
More on topic, I'm inclined to respond like most others. I'm not a feminist, but I think there should be equal rights for all sexes.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yes I am a feminist in the sense that I suppourt equality of the genders. I haven't really done anything to suppourt it though since I don't really feel compelled to do so. I suppose if I personally knew of the injustice that ocurred I would take action but as a fourteen year-old guy living in NZ, it's just something I believe in. Do I call myself a feminist? No, because as the people above stated it has a variety of connotations, good and bad. Of course I'm not prompted to use the word because the people around me already believe in equality without really thinking about it, as they should. If I were to use the word people would think I'm being sexist because, as I said, there are such connotations with the word.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
Yikes. Who would believe in that kind of nonsense?

OT: Aren't there a couple of different varieties of feminism as well though?
e.g. the ones who think women are the superior sex, and want less rights for men, along with a couple of others.
I think I remember some sort of thread on the issue.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Fappy said:
Jonluw said:
Yeah pretty much this. I'm not an activist but I believe women should have equal opportunity and rights as men and visa versa. Pretty simply really.
Thirded. If going by that definition then I'm obviously I'm a feminist. Equal rights for the sexes should be a given in my eyes.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Jonluw said:
Nasrin said:

e.g. the ones who think women are the superior sex, and want less rights for men, along with a couple of others.
Radical vs mainstream feminism, yes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
What definition are we going by?

The dictionary/historical definition, in which feminism is the belief that women hold the same intrinsic value as human beings that men do, and should be treated accordingly?

Or the Escapist/Internet definition, where feminists are terrifying man-hating radicals who are trying to emasculate and destroy you when they're not busy filing fake rape charges and destroying proud institutions with their malevolent feminist schemes?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nasrin said:
Jonluw said:

And as is the problem with any movement, the radicals are the ones most people think of when they hear the name of the group.
And thus arises the whole 'femnazi' problematic in the public conscious.

So I just choose to say straight forward that I believe women are of equal value to any other human if someone asks, rather than identify as feminist and have to explain what I actually mean every time it comes up.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
The few "feminists" I've had the displeasure of meeting committed Misandry quite openly. Apparently, men are the reason they became feminists.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
In regards to the first definition, yes.

In regards to a few other meanings for the term I can name and have run into, definitely not.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nasrin said:
Jonluw said:
Nasrin said:

Radical feminism isn't about wanting gender inequality, it wouldn't be feminism if it was.

It's about what it believes to be the underlying cause of existing inequality.

OTHO, it, and every other of the many forms of feminism around, has been misrepresented as being about oppressing men by people who don't want the genders to nbe equal.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Radical feminism isn't about wanting gender inequality, it wouldn't be feminism if it was.

It's about what it believes to be the underlying cause of existing inequality.

OTHO, it, and every other of the many forms of feminism around, has been misrepresented as being about oppressing men by people who don't want the genders to nbe equal.
Ah, the old no true scotsman fallacy... "I disagree with your contextualized definition of a term, therefor you are wrong".

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I thought I was according to the first definition.

Yet almost every time there's a sexism thread or gender politics, I tend to find myself of contrary opinion to those who label themselves as feminists so I've concluded that I'm probably not.

So in recent example, I didn't give any money to that womentropes project nor did I believe the flash game on the author being beat up was particularly noteworthy or unusual as those games have existed since net got invented and involved just about every celebrity imaginable, male and female alike.

I also don't believe lara getting felt up briefly by a bad guy in tomb raider trailer was sexual assault or portrayed lara as weak. I think that's about it on my stances on this months sexism hot topics.

So seriouly dunno what i am anymore.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Male, and yes.

I don't consider myself inherently superior to a woman because I have a penis and lack breasts. While there are physical and neurological differences that lead to men being better in some areas, and women better in others, on average both genders are about equal. Since I accept this, and live in a society that has yet to have true equality, I am a feminist.

I want to see a world in which a woman with the same qualifications as a man gets paid the same wage. Where a man can get paternal leave to care for his children, and where there is an equal chance of a politician/CEO/police officer/member of the military/cook/nurse being male or female.

Well, technically it would have to be a 52% chance of being female since 52% of the population is female. But you get the idea.