Poll: Are you a Hipster?

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
at first i was sure that I wasn't, but then, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am a hipster, just a little bit. I don't wear clothes dictated by what is the most popular stuff right now, I listen to somewhat obscure music, ride a bike everywhere, and conform to a few other hipster stereotypes. I also conform to a lot of non hipster stereotypes, so... I don't really know anymore

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'll probably be branded as "hipster" for part of my music tastes. but that's it.

I certainly don't dress/act like this guy

hipster hitler..

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
CodeOrange said:
loc978 said:
I'm honestly not seeing a whole lot of parallels to hipsters as I understand them in that article. Dandies appeared to be much more on the order of affecting current high fashion to their own middle station, while hipsters affect the fashions and sensibilities of yesteryear to their own tastes while looking down on others for not being retro or underground enough. That's really quite dissimilar, not just in the content of its idiosyncrasies, but also the culture from which it springs.
Please, you're giving too much undue credit to hipsters. With your definition of hipsters, they're pretty much the (figuratively) retarded offspring of hippies, who rejected corporate something something and only shopped at thrift stores at hopes of saving the world or local businesses or something (lol). I forget.

Hipsters on the other hand are shallow pseudo-intellectuals who have failed to form an identity, so they gather like flies on anything that nobody does, just for the sake of appearing to be unique. Hey, I'm talking about the common populace here, not the individual. It's hard finding people that are worth spending time with.
Sounds to me like you have very strong opinions formed by personal experience. I've never actually interacted with one of these people, and I'm going off the description in the article cited in the opening post of this thread.

Also, you didn't provide a single counterpoint to any comparison I made. As far as I'm concerned, this "hipster" BS started in 2009. My point stands.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Im a oldster. Despite being born in the 1990's, i often feel (and wish) that i was born decades ago.

I mean, people that were born in the 60's-80's seem to have lived through alot of interesting times. The music, the culture, world events... all much more interesting. Today the music we get is justin beiber. The culture we get is based on fasions and fads. The world events detail how many people died in the millionth terrorist strike.

It might just be me looking back onto a society that wasnt really that good, but to me, i try to embrace the 60's-80's as much as i can.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
I have been called a hipster for listening to musicians who are not mainstream but heres the thing I WANT THEM TO BE MAINSTREAM would make life so much easier imagine paul and storm getting a tv show for comedy ahhhh

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
As far as I can tell "hipster" is just a vaguely defined term that people occasionally employ to describe people they don't like. A bit like "emo". I've been called "emo" even though I don't dress accordingly or listen to that sort of music. So ultimately "emo" is what you call people who annoy you because they are sulky, and "hipster" is what you call people who annoy you because they are pretentious and douchey.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
hmm, i listen to lots of indie music, i play lots of indie games and i read QC and get most of the indie references, i dont wear big-brand clothes.
i had this a while ago. i realised im suddenly indie, but i dont think im a hipster. yet.

Doctor Brobotnik

Feb 26, 2011
Not every kid donning a blackened fringe and a spiked collar cuts themselves every night and writes poetry about how shit thier lives are. Some of them do it because they like the style, they like the music.

I like wearing what is considered to be hipster because I enjoy looking that way, not because I get some sort of huge rush out of feeling better than everyone else. It's a confidence booster more than anything else. I like music that's in a niche market, but I enjoy sharing it with my friends more, not shunning them for not knowing it.

People need to get it in thier heads that not everyone that follows a trend follows every exact detail of said trend. I know gangstas that help old ladies cross the street, I know emo people that love everything about thier lives, hell, I know a hippie that doesn't smoke weed, and I'm sure someone out there can vouch for me on this.

bluefiresword

Nov 12, 2009
I was...Before it got all mainstream and sold out on me *Puts on hipster glasses and walks off scoffing*

Naa haven't been, but they never bother me personally.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
loc978 said:
Sounds to me like you have very strong opinions formed by personal experience. I've never actually interacted with one of these people, and I'm going off the description in the article cited in the opening post of this thread.

Also, you didn't provide a single counterpoint to any comparison I made. As far as I'm concerned, this "hipster" BS started in 2009. My point stands.
Wait, what was your point?

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
AvsJoe said:
I am a bit of a low-budget 2000's cinema hipster, yeah. *puts on glasses* But I bet you've never heard of us, we're not mainstream.
Go back to the 1930's. You aren't obscure at all.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well, I do like some obscure things (The Void, Savlonic, Stravinsky, etc.) but I make no attempt to keep these things to myself. In fact, I try to promote them at every opportunity.

In fact, I once gave away 5 copies of The Void in a contest once in my gig as an internet radio DJ ( http://gamer.fm/forums/showthread.php/921-Win-the-Best-Game-Ever-Made-this-Saturday ).

I don't really give a shit about the popularity of a thing as long as the thing-in-question is good. In fact, I think that good things should be very popular. That way more people can enjoy the amazing thing-in-question. I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster, then.

Tangent: Check this out: http://hipsterhitler.com/

It's way more awesome than it has any right to be.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
CodeOrange said:
loc978 said:

Wait, what was your point?
That dandies and hipsters have very few similarities, and the article you posted [http://philosophistry.com/archives/2009/02/the-hipster-and-the-dandy.html] lacks credibility... which is funny, considering my source material is urbandictionary.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Last time i checked hipsters don't identify themselves as hipsters so this whole poll is aimed at wannabes who pretend to be hipsters.

Chatato

Dec 19, 2010
I'm kinda a Hipster E.G. I prefer music when it's not that popular but I still listen to metal and popular music, I have been called skinny and I wear skinny jeans however I also wear Levis and only wear skinny jeans because they're usually the cheapest sort of jeans I can find and I wear kinda thick rimmed glasses however they're prescription.
However with all of the above Examples I'm not an elitest Douche, I don't only accept other hipsters as people and I myself hate some Hipsters.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Harkonnen64 said:
Trick question!

A true hipster will never admit to being a hipster, as that would put you into a category, and hipsters don't belong to any system; LIK EH BAUSS!!!

Incidently, my sister goes to Grinell College in Iowa, which according to the Huffington Post is the biggest/best hipster college in the nation.

A sample of their work:

amazing! ^^

OT:
i dont think i am... i hate tight pants >_>

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Im an "I hate hipsters" hipster, my anti-hipsterism is in itself the ultimate form of hipsterism, which I will of course oppose, because that's the hip thing to do, thus spiralling me into a state of absolute hipsterism....hipsters.

This whole conversation is so yesterday.

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
Dude. I'm like, totally trippin' BALLS right now! That should totally be an answer. Anyway, no, but one of my best friends is. He also started a real life thieves guild.