Poll: Are you a Hipster?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I never heard the term until about a year ago and since then it's been everywhere. I'm pretty sure it's to college what emos were to high school, and I refuse to give into these random hatedoms that nerds keep coming up with, especially when the anti hipster thing seems so juvenile (since I'm out of high school the clichs can fuck off).

Anyways, no. I'm not nearly "everything sucks except ironically" to be hipster (although I did go through that mentality back in middle school). I do however love ironic humor, but that hopefully won't qualify me for scorn.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I bought Minecraft before it had tools.
I had Google+ before RWJ.

But I'd never consider myself a hipster.

troll.jpg

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
yea, actually, and i really dont care
i got my computer case becuase i had never seen anyone with it, and everyone under the sun has a cooler-master
i wear khakis, sandals, a t-shirt, sunglasses, and a fedora (f yea!)
i have no problem doing the opposite of most, especially if it makes little difference
and i have the CR-48
EDIT:
I am also in G+ and Google music beta
and owned minecraft while it was still alpha

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
No, i'm pretty much the opposite of a hipster.

I don't have anything against mainstream music/film/books etc, i do shallow "stupid things like exercise and party, my dress sense is not even remotely hipster-like, i generally think people are good, i don't judge people based on their music taste/clothes/political beliefs, i don't blame the worlds problems on greedy corporations.

Also, i do not have an inflated sense of self-worth.

Dreamer of Theaters

Jun 15, 2011
I've been called a hipster before by this guy behind me in my English class. At first I was like "I don't really about being, it makes me different" but then one of my best friends told me what they do and what they are, and I was like, "oh God no."

I agree, I have some of the traits; different music, different outlook on video games, different outlook on society. But then I realised that I'm not entirely one. See, I only think I'm better then people who are complete douches (bullies and douches) but not the rest of everyone. I think hipsters are sort of an angsty thing: you are one when your a teen who hates the mainstream, but you grow out of it as you get older. Which I have, mostly. But I was never a full blown hipster in the first place, I liked too many mainstream things (COD, iPods etc.)

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Once read a quote somewhere that said "Geeks are just hipsters without the fashion sense", I would have been more inclined to put it "Hipsters are just geeks without the enthusiasm or originality".

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Vern5 said:
"a polite, educated hipster."
lol, oxymoron.
but in all seriousness, HELL NO. I am in no way a hipster. I dress the way I do and take interest in certain things because I want to, not because everyone else isn't. To me, there's few things more pathetic than someone who lets fashon trends and such dictate who they are (whether they follow what is or isn't popular)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't part hipster. I've become more open minded about other people's music, but I'm most at home listening to Wilco, Spoon, and Sonic Youth.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not a hipster, I'm a genuine nerd. I have an appreciation for 70's music and the obscure, but I do listen to a wide variety of genres, I wear skinny jeans quite a bit, I don a trilby every now and then, I like a fair share of cult and foreign films and there are probably a fair amount of interests that I have that might be commonly associated with hipster culture. However, I don't think that something being mainstream will instantly mean it will be execrable, even if this is the case most of the time I'm willing to give pretty much anything a chance. This and my opening sentence is what I believe seperates me from the hipsters, if I like something then I won't hesitate to admit it whether it be something old with long-standing mainstream appeal like Al Green, Bob Marley and Thin Lizzy or metal bands that are a tad obscure like Aeon, Bethlehem and Netherbird.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Yes. I qualify for a hipster with ease.

I wear slim jeans (Though not superskinny jeans that almost look like jean tights), vintage-looking clothes and Converse All Stars. At the same time, I've got a haircut that can be categorized as a hipster-cut (It's shaved on the sides and back, and I've left the hair on top).

I also think of things as "too mainstream", and I despise things that many people love. I like old music like Rock, and I also like metal and indie rock as opposed to the "mainstreams'" pop music, Rnb and hip hop and rap.

I've also got an attitude that many people associate with hipsters.

I'm not ashamed of it. I simply don't care what others think of me and my attitude.[footnote]Yay! Another hipster-attitude example in action.[/footnote]

EDIT: Case in point, here's a picture of me when I borrowed a mate's thick rimmed glasses (Fun fact: They made everything high-res, so I might think there's something wrong with my eyesight too):

Dan Barnett

Jul 27, 2011
At this point it seems like anyone with any sort of expressed individuality is labeled a hipster. I think the term is too broad to really signify any specific counterculture. On the other hand I would say basically anyone who is not afraid to live in a way that is not completely standard can and should be called a hipster.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Little bit, yeah. Mostly music and movie related though. For e.g., I can't stand pop music and considering the vast, vast majority of music being produced now is pop, I'm a bit of a music hipster.

magequest

Mar 21, 2011
"the only girl I've ever known, was born with roses in her eyes!"
if you know know that reference then you better start buying tighter pants.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Purely going off that definition from Urban Dictionary, FUCK no. I've seen how those guys dress and the shit is fucking tacky. I'll stick with my baggy jeans, white tees, and Jordan's, thank you.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
Well let me go down the list...

Wear normal aviators...check
Wear T-Shirts that have some sort of correlation to me and not obscure movie quotes...check
Does not have a sense of pride while not deserving any...check
Wears normal hats...check
I don't think I'm cool because I listen to something that's not rap...check
Not a complete douchebag...check

Yep, I'm not a hipster.

B-Rye

Jan 19, 2010
I sigh a heavy sigh. Maybe one day we all will come to the realization that we are different because of our ideas, not our clothes/preferences.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Well, there are many definitions of hipster...
I don't think of myself as one, but I fit some of the mannerisms, just as you do.
People have called me one on more than one occasion.
In a way I kind of dress like them too.
So yeah, maybe I am one even thought I don't admit it.

Maybe I just don't want to be branded in a negative light?