Poll: Are you a registered organ donor? Why/why not?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Never gotten around to it, but I would definitely like to.

On a related note, I don't see why people who refuse to donate deserve to receive a transplant. Just seems to be the most extreme kind of hypocrisy.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Naahh. My organs would likely kill someone instead of saving them.

OT: I would if i knew where to sign up for it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I am not.

The only reason is a tiny portion of paranoia having a party in my head.

I keep thinking...if I'm a donor...and I'm (mostly) at deaths door, and my organs can save 3 lives...will the doctors motivation to keep ME alive be as great?

I have no problems at ALL giving away my organs or whole body for that matter, after death...but potentially making my own chances of survival worse for the benefit of people I'll never even meet? I'm not that good.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Kyoufuu said:
I just registered to become an organ donor online (protip for Australians, it literally takes about 2 minutes if you have your medicare card available, google "organ donor australia register" without the quotation marks. Probably similar in other countries, although I can't guarantee that it'll be 2 minutes), and this got me wondering how many people are, and their reasoning. Discuss.
I utterly unsarcastically congratulate and thank you for doing this. More people should.

As for the question: I am an organ donor, ever since I worked in a hospital for a couple of month (wanted to be a doctor till then, since then... not anymore) and saw that organ donations are needed and people regularly and tragically die because there are not enough.
Same reason I donate blood whenever possible.

Evilsanta said:
Naahh. My organs would likely kill someone instead of saving them.

OT: I would if i knew where to sign up for it.
Doesn´t Sweden have one of those opt-out gigs going on ?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Kyoufuu said:
(protip for Australians, it literally takes about 2 minutes if you have your medicare card available, google "organ donor australia register" without the quotation marks.
Huh, did not know it was that easy for us. I've been meaning to ever since my uh... suicide attempt. :/ Felt afterwards that I was wasting my squishy parts, but as I said didn't realise it was that easy. I will endeavour to do so asap. If I descend into the depths again there's no reason why someone else can't keep a part of me.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Yes, because it didn't require any effort on my part (ok, I had to respond "yes" instead of "no" to one question) and frankly, the fuck do I care what happens to my body when I'm dead? I'll be dead. I don't think it'll be able to help me anymore.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
tzimize said:
I am not.

I keep thinking...if I'm a donor...and I'm (mostly) at deaths door, and my organs can save 3 lives...will the doctors motivation to keep ME alive be as great?

I have no problems at ALL giving away my organs or whole body for that matter, after death...but potentially making my own chances of survival worse for the benefit of people I'll never even meet? I'm not that good.
Li'l thing called the Hippocratic Oath (such as the line "I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability"), not to mention lawsuits, are great motivations for doctors to do everything in their power to keep you alive.

Crazie_Guy said:
I plan on getting around to it at some point before I die, but I'm not signed up yet.
Protip: do it now, it isn't going to happen on its own. You have the time to be on The Escapist, you have the time to sign up as an organ donor. Assuming your country has online registration.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Heres the one that has the belief that you should say no to donating not have to go in and make sure that everyone knows that you said yes.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Kyoufuu said:
I just registered to become an organ donor online (protip for Australians, it literally takes about 2 minutes
Good on you. I believe Australia has the lowest rate of organ donation and blood donation amongst developed countries.

Though I have no idea why.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Yep, because I'm Australian and I have a driver's licence.
At least, I was a donor when I was living in Australia. And I think I'm a donor in England too.

Teroch

Dec 25, 2009
The thing why I'm not a donator and might never be one is, that if you are a doctor and have 2 patients, one needing some kind of organ very badly in the next few hours or he will die, the other one being an organ donator with a chance of survival of maybe 10%, or even less, will you actively do everything to keep this person alive, maybe only for a few more hours on the costs of another live? I know the law says you have to, but how strictly is that followed?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
No because the system in Australia is both ineffective and rarely enforced. Even if you're a register donor your family can veto it.

Even so, when I was 14 I got sat down by my father and he said "(blank) I don't care what want or feel,if you die and I can donate your organs, I will, because it's means at least a tiny part of you gets to live on in someone else". So yeah that's the plan guess...

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I would gladly donate my organs. Even while I'm still alive, I could pop a kidney or an eye in the mail for someone if they need it. I don't need them that much. It's only that I haven't got around registering; as you'd have to print out one. I'll just take my chances of not doing until I've printed that somewhere.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kyoufuu said:
tzimize said:
I am not.

"Li'l thing called the Hippocratic Oath (such as the line "I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability"), not to mention lawsuits, are great motivations for doctors to do everything in their power to keep you alive."

And? Its just words. I can swear I'll never kill and shoot a guy the next second. Doctors are just people too. Can you honestly say there are no doctors on earth that would consider letting a patient that will probably die anyway, just die to save 3 other people?

Also, not every country has a legal system like the US (thank goodness). Lawsuits are not that common in my country :p

Edit: Whoops. Something got messed up on the quoting. Your stuff is in ""s.

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
When I'm old enough to register I will do.
If I'm dead I don't see any reason why I would need organs, might as well save someones life with them instead.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
no, i would prefer to save my organs for family. like if my dad ever needs a kidney, i want to still have one to give