Poll: Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3? Seeing the amount of people making HL3 jokes; mostly trying to find a 'HL3 is coming' reference in pretty much everything, makes me wonders if they are just making fun or if they are actually waiting for Half-Life 3.

As for me, after a generation of modern warfare shooters (all the CoDs, BFs and their clones), I am hoping for something else. If that's Half Life 3, all the better. But I won't wait for it. Not until the game is officially announced.

EDIT:
"Are you still excited for Half-Life 3?" Might have been a more accurate question.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
4RM3D said:
Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?
Yes... Because, what's the alternative? Make the game myself? Time travel into the future, when it had already been released?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well waiting in the same way I'm waiting for any other good shooter to come around, it would be nice for Valve to get a move on but they aren't the only ones that can make a compelling game.

Jul 10, 2013
Anthony Corrigan said:
valve are afraid of the number 3

so its not Half life 3, its half life 2 part 2 chapter 2
3 '2's
HALF LIFE 3 CONF-*shot*

But in all seriousness. I'm not. After this sort of wait, I doubt it'll live up to the hype.

Tannhausyr

May 16, 2008
Don't think HL3 will come anytime soon. Not saying I wouldn't love if it came out right now, however, I just don't see Valve doing it yet.
I'll keep an eye out, but if it takes a decade before its finally done, then it's not like there aren't enough other games to play till then.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Nope. It's vaporware. There isn't going to be a Half-Life 3. I highly doubt Valve is working on it. It's dead.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Nope. I have the HL2 episodes and I never even played them, I kinda just lost interest. And I doubt it'll come back any time soon. Kinda reminds me of what I went through for Starcraft 2: the first was a great game that was on top of my "play again and again" list, then there's was such a long wait and they made such contemptuous decisions (like selling all three stories separately, no LAN multiplayer, etc...) for 2 that I've completely lost interest, even after having the occasion to try it (it wasn't that great).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Until Valve comes out and says something solid on it, no, not particularly.

If/When they do though, I'll probably get hyped about it, like many other people.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Eh.

I couldn't finish Half-Life or Half-Life 2, so... I guess not, really.

They're games firmly wedged in the "I want to like this, but just can't" category, and while I love Portal and Portal 2, I doubt any theoretical Half-Life 3 would be able to change my opinions of anything else Valve makes.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No, not really.

If it comes out then yay, but I'm not actively waiting for it.

(Not that one can "actively wait" for anything, but you know what I mean.)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Kind of interested just to see how painfully average I expect it to be. But like, actually anticipating it so I can play it? Nah.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
TheScottishMexican42 said:
...I doubt it'll live up to the hype.
What hype?

I often hear this said about HL3 and it doesn't make any sense to me.

There is no hype. We don't know anything. Nothing has been said apart from, "Oh yeah, we're working on it... maybe." No information has been given.

How do you get "hype" from that? Unless you're counting the "HL3 confirmed" jokes or something.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
I remember the first time I played through Half-Life 2, and I realised First Person Shooters should be more intelligent. Since then, the only game that brought anything close to that level of immersive story telling in the First Person Shooter realm was Bioshock.

The expectations for Half-Life 3 are insane. They'll never live up to them. But, even if they fail, we'll get another game as good as Half-Life 2. I'm happy to wait for that.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Waiting, but hardly anxious about it.
In fact, on most days I just won't give a shit.

Let Valve...do whatever.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
What hype?
Fan hype, I imagine.

Sure, Valve hasn't said word one about the game, but for the last six years the fans have been waiting and expecting something, anything, all the while holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general.

It stands to reason that were it to ever be released, at this point, Half-Life 3 would never live up to the expectations the fans have given themselves of it.

Granted, by this point I imagine more and more people are adopting the outlook of "Eh, it'll come when it comes, whatever." but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned on a dime the instant Half-Life 3 actually got announced.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Zhukov said:
What hype?
Fan hype, I imagine.

Sure, Valve hasn't said word one about the game, but for the last six years the fans have been waiting and expecting something, anything, all the while holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general.
If the fans are getting hyped for it then they're certainly being quiet about it. I can't remember a single person saying anything along the lines of, "Oh man, HL3 is going to be awesome!" Since, y'know, they don't have anything to base that on, not ever a trailer or whatnot.

As for placing the existing games on pedestals, well... doesn't that mean they just like those games? I get that you're not a fan, but "holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general" just sounds like a snide way of saying, "They have the cheek to like something I don't like."