Poll: Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
shrekfan246 said:
Zhukov said:
TheScottishMexican42 said:
...I doubt it'll live up to the hype.
What hype?
Fan hype, I imagine.

Sure, Valve hasn't said word one about the game, but for the last six years the fans have been waiting and expecting something, anything, all the while holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general.
If the fans are getting hyped for it then they're certainly being quiet about it. I can't remember a single person saying anything along the lines of, "Oh man, HL3 is going to be awesome!" Since, y'know, they don't have anything to base that on, not ever a trailer or whatnot.

As for placing the existing games on pedestals, well... doesn't that mean they just like those games? I get that you're not a fan, but "holding Half-Life 2 and/or Half-Life on gigantic pedestals as tremendous achievements for first-person shooters and video gaming in general" just sounds like a snide way of saying, "They have the cheek to like something I don't like."
Actually, it was more a comment of the fact that I've seen people who expect Half-Life 3 to revolutionize gaming, because that's the opinion they hold of the previous games. We may not have been seeing the same comments.

I don't care if people love Half-Life or not, I just would appreciate not having another nontroversy the size of Mass Effect 3 or larger because Half-Life 3 releases and turns out to be a disappointment; Because despite the fact that there's nothing for people to base any assumptions off of, there are most certainly people out there who use Valve's track record as an excuse for why they think Half-Life 3 is going to be amazing.

Though admittedly that was about a year ago or so. Lately it has been pretty quiet except for jokes, which is why I said
by this point I imagine more and more people are adopting the outlook of "Eh, it'll come when it comes, whatever." but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned on a dime the instant Half-Life 3 actually got announced.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
What hype?

I often hear this said about HL3 and it doesn't make any sense to me.

There is no hype. We don't know anything. Nothing has been said apart from, "Oh yeah, we're working on it... maybe." No information has been given.

How do you get "hype" from that? Unless you're counting the "HL3 confirmed" jokes or something.
Half-life 2 is held up by a lot of Valve fans as the greatest of all single-player shooters ever.

Personally, I think it's a highly polished but not very interesting shooter with too little core gameplay and too much filler ("Lol, now move some barrels over here!").

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Zhukov said:
What hype?

I often hear this said about HL3 and it doesn't make any sense to me.

There is no hype. We don't know anything. Nothing has been said apart from, "Oh yeah, we're working on it... maybe." No information has been given.

How do you get "hype" from that? Unless you're counting the "HL3 confirmed" jokes or something.
Half-life 2 is held up by a lot of Valve fans as the greatest of all single-player shooters ever.

Personally, I think it's a highly polished but not very interesting shooter with too little core gameplay and too much filler ("Lol, now move some barrels over here!").
- Saying HL2 is great.

- Generating hype for HL3.

Two different things. One is not the other.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I am waiting for it, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't have very high expectations for it either. However, I imagine that now that the next generation of consoles been announced we're far more likely to have an announcement about it by early next year if ever.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
- Saying HL2 is great.

- Generating hype for HL3.

Two different things. One is not the other.
To say that people don't expect great things out of the sequel to something that they've been idolizing for almost a decade is naive at best. Especially with games, where there's an expectation that the new game will improve on the old one.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
A thread about HL3!? HL3 confi... er...

I'm not sure if they even care anymore. They obviously set the groundwork for a bridging between Portal and Half Life, particularly with the Borealis (or lack thereof) being featured in Portal 2. It's an interesting story, the characters were engaging, but their last addition to it was a long fucking time ago. Maybe they just got bored?

I assume that any new HL game will be on its own new engine, and that might be a massive undertaking. Trying to capture the feel of the older games might be more difficult, who knows?

But I'm still fairly confident in Valve's ability. They haven't done anything to make me lose faith directly - if they don't think it's ready, it probably isn't. I'm not gonna ride their nuts to have them push out a half-formed egg like Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3 that just turn out awful. They can take all the time in the world.

So... no, I'm not really "waiting" for it. It'll come, or it won't. I enjoyed the games I got; if they add more to it, great, if they don't, I can rest assured that it won't be as bad as Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was after years of fucking waiting.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not waiting for it, Half-Life 2 wasn't exactly this diamond for the world to consume, so the wait will make it seem worse.

However if they announce it to be Half-Life 3 and not Episode 3 I will wait for it patiently.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
No. I like the franchise, but it became clear long ago that Valve has no interest in finishing what they started. It'll be nice if it did come out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yes, not counting days or anything (not even if it had a release date) but it is something that I am looking forward into playing some day.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Well i'm not entirely sure how to explain this, but let me try anyway.

As a huge Half-Life fan I am ofcourse awaiting the next release, but it is not something I spend much time thinking about. If I stumble upon people talking about it then I ofcourse get interested, but beyond that then it kind of slips from my mind.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ehm, no. Actually I'm beginning to wonder how many people are genuinely excited for HL3, and to how many the entire HL3 thing has distilled into either a fad/habit, or a massive case of self-trolling.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm expecting Valve to do the same thing they did with Episode 1. Not talk about it until a month before they actually release the game. I remember when Episode one came out of absolutely nowhere, and then there was a huge hype train for a relatively short amount of time. It drummed up a lot of interest while everything was still fresh in the consumer's mind.

So I'm expecting to hear nothing about Half Life 3 until about a month before it drops.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Since I haven't played Half-Life yet, I voted No, so while I don't care, I would like it to come out for the sake of everyone else who wants it so badly.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I'll certainly care when something definite comes out, if something definite comes out. I don't think it's gone vaporware, since they'll want to resolve the story at least, but I'm not really searching the web everyday for even the slightest whiff of HL3 farts. It'll show up when it does, and if it doesn't, I'll probably forget about it. Half-Life is a fun series, but it's far from the only good thing in games.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well I don't know how can anyone actually wait for Half Life 3. (Is there a line that I don't know about.) If you mean anticipating then definitely. The franchise and the company hasn't let me down yet. Not in a spectacular fashion anyway. I have faith in them.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Dead Century said:
Nope. It's vaporware. There isn't going to be a Half-Life 3. I highly doubt Valve is working on it. It's dead.
I tend to agree. Not because they don't want to do it but the FPS market has shifted quite a bit since HL2. Plus, they might not have the 'gravity gun' equivalent, though I hope OR could become one once it's popular enough, which it won't be at that price point.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
There's no way it's going to live up to the fan expectations at this point. It's been too long.

If HL3 actually does come out, it's going to be another DNF. It'll be pretty much exactly what /should/ have been expected, but because the wait time was so long, fanboi expectations are getting insane and there is no way it'll live up to what "it should be".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I genuinely am waiting for it.

It might sound a little silly, but I'm invested in the story & the world.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nope, but I will play it when it comes out.

I spent about a year and a half being like "Half life 3's going to come out.....nnnnnnnnnnnnnnow! Nope, alright. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow! Damn. Fine, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow!"

But after that got old I just gave up on it. I haven't given it a second thought since.