Poll: Are You Cancelling Your Credit Card over the Steam Hack?

Tigger1992

Jul 14, 2009
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I changed my password and have steam guard.

THe last thing I purchased was months ago and even then, I didn't have my credit card saved. I also didn't use the forums.

I don't think I'll cancel it.

Tigger1992

Jul 14, 2009
The thing that bugs me is that we can change our passwords all we want, but the hackers may have all of our credit card numbers and can buy whatever they want with them. If the credit cards are compromised then steam guard and password changing will not be able to help.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Considering I use a different password for everything (mwahahah) I'm not too worried.

I have been checking my credit card history, just to be on the safe side.

Feb 13, 2008
Tigger1992 said:
Will you be cancelling your credit card knowing that the encrypted card data on Steam has been accessed?
Would you cancel your card knowing that every shopkeeper who takes your payment by Chip/Pin can watch your wrist muscles move, and easily know your PIN code?

Because I can tell you a lot of people's PINs.

Hashed/Salted codes are far harder to suss out than simply going through the banks wastebins.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tigger1992 said:
The thing that bugs me is that we can change our passwords all we want, but the hackers may have all of our credit card numbers and can buy whatever they want with them. If the credit cards are compromised then steam guard and password changing will not be able to help.
AES256 encryption. As far as I know, it's never been cracked.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Credit card? Really? Get Palpal and worry less. Set up a separate account which has instant transfers from your main account which has a debit card attached. Problem solved.

It'll probably cost less than a credit card too.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
For cryptographers, a cryptographic "break" is anything faster than a brute force?performing one trial encryption for each key. Thus, an attack against a 256-bit-key AES requiring 2200 operations (compared to 2256 possible keys) would be considered a break, even though 2200 operations would still take far longer than the age of the universe to complete.
That's a properly cited and correct statement from wikipedia. If you're afraid of hackers cracking that encryption, you're nuts.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Tigger1992 said:
1. They don't know it has been taken

2. It's encrypted in AES256, they won't be getting into those files.

Ayup.
Mathematically, it would take a regular 4ghz processor more time than the sun has existed to brute-force AES256.
Even jacking up the factor of processing, that's STILL a long fucking time to crack one file.

Dudeio

Wat.
Feb 8, 2009
StBishop said:
Credit card? Really? Get Palpal and worry less. Set up a separate account which has instant transfers from your main account which has a debit card attached. Problem solved.

And when Paypal gets hacked? What then? You're never safe from having your card stolen.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Dudeio said:
StBishop said:

And when Paypal gets hacked? What then? You're never safe from having your card stolen.
I don't think I explained myself correctly.

My paypal currently has ~$3.00 in it.

If I wanted there could be all the money I need there within minutes. However this requires access to both: my banking, and my paypal.

But then, there's always risk in anything. Using all of the systems at your disposal will make it harder for anyone trying to steal from you. Like putting your rolex in a safe which is in your locked house. If they know the combination to the safe but can't get into your house, you keep your watch; if they get in your house, but can't crack the safe, you keep your watch.

I also recommend banking with more than one bank. Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket.

Make more sense?

If someone were able to get access to both of these I'd hope that at least one of the companies involved would help in recovering the stolen funds. If not, there's savings which is handled completely offline.

No, I'm not paranoid. I'm prepared.

Dudeio

Wat.
Feb 8, 2009
StBishop said:
Dudeio said:
StBishop said:

I don't think I explained myself correctly.

My paypal currently has ~$3.00 in it.

If I wanted there could be all the money I need there within minutes. However this requires access to both: my banking, and my paypal.

But then, there's always risk in anything. Using all of the systems at your disposal will make it harder for anyone trying to steal from you. Like putting your rolex in a safe which is in your locked house. If they know the combination to the safe but can't get into your house, you keep your watch; if they get in your house, but can't crack the safe, you keep your watch.

I also recommend banking with more than one bank. Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket.

Make more sense?

If someone were able to get access to both of these I'd hope that at least one of the companies involved would help in recovering the stolen funds. If not, there's savings which is handled completely offline.

No, I'm not paranoid. I'm prepared.
If someone steals my paypal account password they can go on ebay and buy all the shit they want with my paypal without me having any money on my account, paypal takes it anyways and I'll end up in negative.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Haven't even bothered changing my password, got Steam Guard enabled, and with the encryption Valve uses for CC data, i'm not really worried.

Not too fussed if I lose my forum account either, I was one infraction away from a permaban lol