Poll: Are you religious?

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
Continuity said:
GenericAmerican said:
I have a new religion, it's called "fuckitallism"

In this religion we worship nothing, we don't have to pay tithes, we don't have to pray, we don't have to worry about sinning or doing good deeds, we don't have to study books or go to special schools, we don't have to gather in special buildings, we don't have to compete, we don't have to go soul winning, we don't have to do anything; we are not atheists, we are not agnostics, we are not buddhists, hindu's, creationists, or evolutionists, we are people who don't fucking care....if asked about our religion, we just utter the sacred phrase, "fuck it all, i don't care."

If you suddenly feel the need to say, "this guy is right, why the hell should I care about this pointless shit?" Congratulation, you are now a convert; next Mass is never, no need for tithes, and the dress code is whatever the fuck you feel like wearing.
Hardly new, that's the most popular religion of all time.
I wish it were popular, all I ever see is a never ending squabble between different so called religious groups, or arguments between religion and all that fancy science stuff.

If everyone were a follower of fuckitallism there would be a lot less shit to deal with in the world.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
I don't know, this 'fuckitallism' seems like a lot of other religions I've had experience with. You know, where they just do whatever they want and hide behind their religion as an excuse for their behavior. I think we called them 'Chirstians' in my old home town, but that's probably a regional dialect or something that translates it into 'fuckitallism'.

On topic, I think I would be classified as a nihilist. I don't believe in god, or heaven or hell or even religion for that matter. I don't believe in an afterlife or prophets or faith or spirituality; I just don't have faith.

MyFooThurTS

Jul 28, 2010
1000th atheist. Cool cool cool.
I think that a lot of people like me would have just picked Agnostic though. I'm not of the opinion that there are not, or cannot be, a God or any gods, I'm just of the opinion that it's irrational to believe in such and that the inability to say 'I believe in God/gods' makes one an atheist.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I am not religious but I feel that even if god is real then why should I care? I only know a bit about Catholics but their god sounds like kind of an asshole killing everyone and stuff.

Jake|Ranger

Mar 10, 2011
Nope. I never have been and never will be.

I find it quite funny that at a young age when I would tell my friends "I don't believe in god" and got the whole, shocked look as though I was a demon or something and critised for not being able to explain if god didn't make us then who did (I was like 8 ffs, how would I know) and be told that I was gonna go to hell. And now a lot of them lean a lot closer to if not entirely the "religion is bull shit" side of the scale.

That's why I think on any kind of census data that gets released should contain two different things. 1 to say the percentage of people of x religion or whatever in total. And then another to say, percentage of people who are over 18 who belive in this religion.

Including children on a census for that kind of study is pointless becuase their religion will almost always be that of their parents and not what they might really believe inthe future. By the time they are 18 though they should be educated enough to be able to make a choice on whether or not they beleive in something or not. I think it would make for a lot better accuracy in terms of religion statistics.

PS: I'm not trying to say that religious parents are bad for teaching them their religion or whatever, I mean hell, it happens with atheists families too, when I was little my dad said, "god's not real" and I believed him. It's how kids learn.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
To do so would discredit my belief in science, because to do so would be utterly un-scientific. Atheism/anti-theism/whatever the proper term is is just as much a matter of faith as any religion in my eyes.
It seems like you misunderstand what atheism means. Which I think might be important to correct considering you are one.

Literally translated, atheism means "without religion", as in unable to make the claim that a 'higher power' exists, which is what your position seems to be. It doesn't matter what your reasoning is - if you can't claim faith in a god or gods, you're an atheist. Scientifically speaking, you're quite right - it's the only valid viewpoint, at least until such a time as any religion makes a testable hypothesis which is subsequently validated.

More specifically, your position is that of agnostic atheism - a lack of belief due to not knowing if a religions phenomenon exists or not. This is in fact the position the majority of atheists who take more than a second to think about it will assume. Where the misunderstanding comes in is you seem to be assuming all atheists say that absolutely no gods exist, which is an impossible claim to make because we can't differentiate between universes with gods and without them. This is the same claim, I should note that makes actual belief in gods unscientific.

Anti-theism is less a position on the truth value of religion than an attitude towards it, considering religion to not be a positive thing. Theoretically you could believe a deity existed and still an anti-theist, as long as you refused to worship them, or considered worshiping them to be bad. I think that's the case anyway. Like how I believe gravity exists, but I don't like the fact it doesn't let me fly.

MyFooThurTS

Jul 28, 2010
GenericAmerican said:
I have a question.

Why is any of this important? Why is knowing what we evolved from, or what created us such a big deal?

I have a new religion, it's called "fuckitallism"

In this religion we worship nothing, we don't have to pay tithes, we don't have to pray, we don't have to worry about sinning or doing good deeds, we don't have to study books or go to special schools, we don't have to gather in special buildings, we don't have to compete, we don't have to go soul winning, we don't have to do anything; we are not atheists, we are not agnostics, we are not buddhists, hindu's, creationists, or evolutionists, we are people who don't fucking care....if asked about our religion, we just utter the sacred phrase, "fuck it all, i don't care."

If you suddenly feel the need to say, "this guy is right, why the hell should I care about this pointless shit?" Congratulation, you are now a convert; next Mass is never, no need for tithes, and the dress code is whatever the fuck you feel like wearing.
Good old Nihilism. I think everyone spends the majority of their time following this one, in between occasional checks of the ethical compass to either bolster or damage their egos. Although Nihilists have no need for their own apathy, so it can't be that; Apatheism it is then.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I follow the great thinkers of this country's past and agree with them that religion and bright colours are for the simple minded.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I'm agnostic, but I hate religion. Not faith, faith is good, I'm jealous of people who find confort in faith, but organised religion is bad.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Richardplex said:
I'm agnostic, but I hate religion. Not faith, faith is good, I'm jealous of people who find confort in faith, but organised religion is bad.
there is nothing to be jealous about the ability to shove fault,responibility and credit to nonexistant things. If bad stuff happens its time to do something, not sit around wishing very very hard that spacegenie stops it.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm... not sure actually. I guess I'm Agnostic, but like I said, I have no clue...

It doesn't help that I distrust people who use religion for their own ends, and not in the good way...

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Fetzenfisch said:
Richardplex said:
there is nothing to be jealous about the ability to shove fault,responibility and credit to nonexistant things. If bad stuff happens its time to do something, not sit around wishing very very hard that spacegenie stops it.
Depends on the faith. Comfort about death, having a purpose in life, it can be good. Though I don't suffer a problem from the former thankfully.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
Many will argue that those who would answer yes to this question (and I say many, not all) are the same people who have been raised to say yes from childhood and that invalidates that person's belief as it is not truly their own.

I was raised that way: a Christian from birth really. I was baptized without being asked (I was only a baby if I am not mistaken) and taken to church every week- something I just went with. It was around the time I was either 13 or 14 years old that I decided there wasn't this great God of all things as I was taught. I never really told my family, but coincidentally we started skipping church more and more often.

It was a good time after I had turned 15 that I met a boy who would change my life, and while I will not go into great detail for fear of irelavency, I will say that after a couple of months I ended up coming back to the Christian faith and I did so entirely by my own decision. He didn't even know I didn't believe in God at the time, he had no say in it, I am my own man and I chose this; I think I can say yes. =^_^=

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Richardplex said:
Fetzenfisch said:
Richardplex said:
Depends on the faith. Comfort about death, having a purpose in life, it can be good. Though I don't suffer a problem from the former thankfully.
I find the reality of death very comforting. Nothing matters anymore when you ceise to exist.
And when it comes to purpose in life, it's purpose is to give it one.Thats not a religious thing, if you got enough a little bit of self-esttem you know that your life matters and should lead to a goal of your choice. Thats all the purpose one needs.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
No, I don't believe in spiritual beings or that we should care what they think of us.

I tend to be geared towards Satanism, Objectivism and Pragmatism.

May 14, 2011
I have faith that there is something greater than us. So... I do believe in a God.
What I do not believe is the unquestioned authority of the church because of two reasons:

1) Power corrupts. No man is immune to that.

2) History has shown us that many wars have been fought because some people did not think other people believed in what was correct. That has served as justification not only for war but also torture, inhumane experiments and even slavery. Do some basic research on the Middle Ages or people who are now considered to be great thinkers and people of science that lived in the Middle Ages.

mahtar

Feb 13, 2004
I'm agnostic I belive science explains more than a holy book of any religion but I don't rule out a God or other supreme being.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I guess you could say I'm agnostic. I believe there's something controlling everything but I'm not sure what. I believe in karma and that certain things happen for a reason.