Poll: Are you religious?

Davih

May 7, 2011
I went to a catholic school, and the Religious Educations teachers are hypocrites. They ask students to respect the religion of the school whilst disrespecting every other religion or atheism.
I'm an atheist and they forced me to go to mass etc. and it made me lose a lot of respect for religion. I don't mind people following religions,everyone to their own I guess, but I don't agree with anyone trying to force a religion onto someone. It's just wrong.

weker

May 27, 2009
crudus said:
I am an atheist through and through. I actively hate religion, but I don't do anything about it until evangelists tell me I am going to hell or what have you.

matoasters said:
Speaking as an agnostic, an atheistic worldview doesn't prevent any of the shit that atheists seem to think only religion causes. Stalin, Mao... those names ring a bell?
They also had/have extreme hybris and maybe even Megalomania(or the non-clinical equivalent of a god complex). I am also not sure what you are trying to get at. I have never heard people say "if there was no religion, people wouldn't war/die/create a hierarchy/genocide/etc".
While I will personally believe that the removal of many religions would help avoid many wars and such I certainly don't think all war, murder and hatred would stop in anyway.

massaffect123

Apr 24, 2009
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

But seriously, not really that religious. I don't need a reward in order to convince me to be good. As Abraham Lincoln said: "I do good, I feel good. I do bad, I feel bad."

koriantor

Nov 9, 2009
major_chaos said:
The irony is that so many people here say that they don't like religion because its followers are pushy I have only ever had the opposite experience, I had several atheists rant at me and tell me i'm a moron if I don't agree with them but the church types have never been anything but nice.
This! This 1000 times. Thank you human nature.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
In the native language of my home country (England:English), the question "Are you religious?" is not the same as "Are you spiritual?" or "Do you believe in a deity/the supernatural?", which is how the question is being posed. You can believe in God but not be religious. Jus' sayin'...

OT: I'm not just agnostic, but apathetic too. If one definite answer has come from all this bellyaching between Theist and Atheist hotheads, it's that the world will carry on regardless of your own opinion. It's an unanswerable question, one which has no impact on the universe as it is now. So let's just forget about this and move on...

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I do not hold any religious belief.

I'd love to add some more, but I don't want to start a flamewar.

Duncan Terry

Jul 2, 2011
I'm Atheist, and I usually don't hesitate to tell people that.

Then there are... those people... and I say I'm Agnostic to avoid them losing control of themselves in public.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Not sure how to answer this to be honest. Does just having a religion count as being religious? If so then my answer yes. If you have a religion but don't follow it devoutly at all then are you not religious? If so then my answer is no. I picked no since I am a Muslim but not devout by any means.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Yes, though I don't bring it up here because a lot of people worship there own sense of smugness and in the past that've been quite nasty to me and others for bringing it up, pointing it out, or even mentioning it.
That's why the escapist made a Religion and Politics board because people got tired of all the Anti-theists (not atheist there is a difference) making threads all the time asking this question.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Generic Gamer said:
I'm an atheist but unlike a lot of atheists I don't see the point in attacking religion. I don't need the uneducated and worthless approval of other atheists in order to know my beliefs feel right.
The commandments say not to believe in other gods, not to make onto thee any graven image, and not to take the name of God in vain.

However, they never say that you have to believe in God. Those were the words of people, not God. As long as you are also good in the self evident eyes, you need not worry about anything at all.
If anyone tells you that you sin by not believing, know that they speak lies, and know also that you are not required to believe anything. You only need to believe in what you choose to believe in.

God is the truth that you need not believe in, and religion is the lie people want you to believe in. Only you choose.

BK-110

Aug 26, 2009
Per the definition of "agnostic" that I use, I am an agnostic atheist, which means that I do not believe in a deity but I cannot know for certain that there is none, as "God" is an unfalsifiable hypothesis, just like the existence of, for instance, invisible pink unicorns.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I take the Christopher Hitchens approach to it. I won't get into an argument with anyone here over it though, but I do think he hits closest to home. Pat Condell too kinda, but he gets repetative. Richard Dawkins and Hitchens are the BAWSS(ES)!

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I am an Agnostic Atheist. My friend is trying to convert me to Christianity, to save my soul, and I've told him I'd think about it. If I'm going to take unto religion Christianity seems the most ideal.

My girlfriend is a Greek Orthodox Christian, but has doubts about certain rules of her beliefs. Her belief in God is unwavering, but she is not a fan of the sect her parents forced her to be a part of.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Atheist here. And I don't mind religions. I follow the 'live and let live' way of life.

Problem is, thats not how I am treated. When the government makes laws that are only there because some christian parties believe in a book thats 2000 years old (example: All shops must be closed on Sundays) I will become bold and offending.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No. Religion and the belief of God has only made me paranoid so I try to avoid it altogether. Also, with all the flaws in the world, I don't see how you can.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think any less of the people who do.

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
Yes, I am a practicing conservative Jew (conservative in the religious sense [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Judaism], not political :p).

Problem is, thats not how I am treated. When the government makes laws that are only there because some christian parties believe in a book thats 2000 years old (example: All shops must be closed on Sundays) I will become bold and offending.
I agree entirely. Separation of Church and State is extremely important - it's just as bad for minority religions as it is for those who hold no religion at all.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm agnostic. A proper one. Some think that just saying "I don't know if there is a god" in response to the question "do you believe in god" qualifies you as an agnostic. That makes you an atheist-agnostic, as you obviously don't believe in a god along with not knowing if there definitely is one.

Me, I don't have a clue if I believe in god. Sometimes I do, sometimes I have, but I can't say that I do for certain. If I ever put any real thought into it, I might have a solid answer to the "do you believe in god". For now though, I'm undecided.