Poll: Avatar Discrimination

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know about discrimination, but I have a slight propensity to use avatars of one specific bunny-girl and whenever someone PMs me saying that they recognise it, I can at least say to myself "you, there's another pervert".

Really I'm just posting this to lure more saps into said trap.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I don't discriminate against anyone based on their avatars, but I can't stand excessively animated, long, or flashy .gif avatars. The focus should be on the post; animated avatars take the attention away from the post itself and instead put it on the content's author. It's not unlike how some writers have their names written larger than the name of the story on their book covers. Their names are moving units, not their content, and I don't think it should be that way - especially not on a message board.

[small]Addendum: Unobtrusive gifs, such as dark colors, small size, or only slight animations don't apply. If it's not prominent in one's peripheral vision while reading, it's not an issue.[/small]

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
No, because it's not worth my time, if i'm going to judge someone, it's going to be on the content of their posts (both information wise and the manner in which it is written). Half the time I don't even pay attention to peoples avatars, and some of the few I know are Daystar Clarion and a few others because theirs never change (or do so rarely).

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Ï guess i know people on this forum more by there avatar than their name sadly :p Mainly because i've a horrible name-memory.

That's why people changing their avatar willy-nilly will be unkown to me!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I personally don't, but I would imagine some people would.

I often recognize people by their avatars more than anything else, so if someone changes theirs I would be kinda lost.

I don't plan on changing mine ever, and I doubt people will cause a ruckus if I did. I mean, no did when I changed it to my current on, but who knows. :/

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
can't say as I've noticed my self, but then I don't really frequent the main forums much anymore, I tend to stay in the RP forums

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I often recognize people by their avatars more than anything else, so if someone changes theirs I would be kinda lost.

I don't plan on changing mine ever, and I doubt people will cause a ruckus if I did. I mean, no did when I changed it to my current on, but who knows. :/
Would I appear the asshole if I said I can't remember for the life of me WHAT you had before? Hypothetically of course >.>

OT: As far I'm aware I don't, but I'm sure I have on some level.

I shudder to think of all the coulrophobics I may've ostracized though XD

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Would I appear the asshole if I said I can't remember for the life of me WHAT you had before? Hypothetically of course >.>
See? No one cares.

And what a hypothetical question it is! :D

I had this before:

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, I don't discriminate against anyone with any form of avatar...

Although I presume that I'm ignored more times than normal because of mine...

The7Sins said:
I generally ignore posters with MLP avatars,
My point is made...

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

See? No one cares.

I had this before:

...Still not ringing any bells fipster... Hypothetically...

I think the one I had last before my Pint sized slasher theme was a clown explosion.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I like to keep one for a long time then change it to mess with people. Only really works on steam though where the people actually know me.

Caramel Frappe said:
That is the most passionate defense of avatars I've ever seen. I'm impressed.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

See? No one cares.

I had this before:

I think the one I had last before my Pint sized slasher theme was a clown explosion.

Is okay, I wasn't really well-known when I had that, and now?

Maybe more, I don't know....hypothetically of course.

I do recognize your old avatar though, and that's probably because I thought it was weird and a little funny when I saw it the first time.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

See? No one cares.

I had this before:

I do recognize your old avatar though, and that's probably because I thought it was weird and a little funny when I saw it the first time.
Clearly the solution is to go on a drunken on topic rampage throughout the forums. You're bound to be noticed more then!

That way if you change your avatar everyone can be pissed at you like they did with Fappy and on those days where people do avatar swaps. XD

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

See? No one cares.

I had this before:

Clearly the solution is to go on a drunken on topic rampage throughout the forums. You're bound to be noticed more then!

That way if you change your avatar everyone can be pissed at you like they did with Fappy and on those days where people do avatar swaps. XD
I doubt many will care, and my beloved title of 'Sound Goblin' will have to be changed to add the word 'drunk', and why would I want that?

That would just be weird. :D

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
With rare exception, largely in the case of people with tens of thousands of posts or in a case of a back and fourth discussion, I don't even really look at their avatar or even their name. A post is just a chunk of text; the information relating to who wrote it is fairly ancillary.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Good Lord, this site can be annoyingly politically correct sometimes.

There's a difference between discrimination and first impressions.

1. If someone's avatar annoys you then it annoys you. You don't have to provide an explanation for not liking it.
2. If you're going a step further and inferring a particular quality based on the avatar then that's just your first impression of the user and it can't be helped. It's how our brains work. You're not prejudging anyone, you're trying to make sense of what you're seeing.
3. If you're stamping that impression as 'fact' onto that user THEN you're discriminating/prejudging. Simply because you lack the knowledge/patience/tolerance to look any further than that initial impression.

Our first impression based on image can be incredibly accurate and it can be great at helping you make a fairly accurate estimation as to someone's qualities. But ALWAYS practice patience. Don't just rely on those first impressions but look deeper. But they're a great instinctual tool.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I've never really put much thought into peoples Avatars.

Caramel Frappe said:
You being the exception because I too like Attack on Titan, EP.24 was sweet eh?, unless you haven't seen it yet... in which case I am informing you it is sweet.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Maybe I might dislike them a little if they have no avatar set, but the content of their posts are far stronger in swaying my opinion of them. I see a lack of an avatar as either a lack of personality/identity, or just an unwillingness to fully participate in the forum. That by itself isn't awful though: lack of grammar, low post count/recent join date all have a stronger impact on my opinion of someone than no avatar. Still, I'm not going to hate on someone unless their posts just simply reveal them to be a dumbass. There have been a few posters over the years that invoke rage in my at the sight of their Avs just due to the sheer negativity that accompanies their picture.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Dead Raen said:
I don't discriminate against anyone based on their avatars, but I can't stand excessively animated, long, or flashy .gif avatars. The focus should be on the post; animated avatars take the attention away from the post itself and instead put it on the content's author. It's not unlike how some writers have their names written larger than the name of the story on their book covers. Their names are moving units, not their content, and I don't think it should be that way - especially not on a message board.

[small]Addendum: Unobtrusive gifs, such as dark colors, small size, or only slight animations don't apply. If it's not prominent in one's peripheral vision while reading, it's not an issue.[/small]
This is an accurate statement. Some people have avatars that are incredibly offensive to the eyes, crazy laughing seizure faces guy (I think I'm going to start addressing people by rough descriptions of their avatars) and a few others are actually somewhat painful to look it. To support this assertion, I'm going to change my avatar to a static one soon but given my lack of tenure I'm sure nobody would notice.

On a somewhat related note, I tend to judge people for the way the type.

when sumone decides to type like this and not give any regard to their diction it comes off as quite difficult to read and understand all due to a lack of consideration for the comprehension of others it really bothers me quite a bit

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Vhite said:
Except for this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] person who deserves all the hate for his/her avatar.
Heheh, choosing an appropriate avatar is harder than it seems, I just can't seem to find the right thing (which would also be sufficiently original). Don't worry though, one day I'll find it.

[sub]Even if it takes another ten years.[/sub]