Poll: Avatar - Who did you root for

crunchieman

Nov 17, 2009
I wanted everyone to die so I could leave the cinema and stop hearing people going like " I love this movie" and "I love the 3d" and "Somebody just give me James Camerons d*** to suck".

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I was rooting for the fire bende... oh. Wrong one. In this one I was rooting for me to fall asleep, because I had nothing else better to do while watching it.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
Chunko said:
I was wondering if anyone else rooted for the humans in avatar?

[HEADING=2]Here's my reason for siding with the humans:[/HEADING]
I took this from another one of my forum posts
I agree. I always thought that the Na'vi were being arrogant and unreasonable. Humanity was offering them a lot and they refused. Humans were out there for there own survival and the Na'vi would not be diplomatic. That gave them only one option. The humans didn't care about exterminating the Na'vi, just surviving.

Jake Sully specifically was a jerk. Aside from showing no emotion he damned his own species. In addition to this he was hurting the Na'vi as well. If he had not united them maybe like twelve aliens would have died. Instead hundreds perished, both human and Na'vi. I'm sure that after the mining had been set up Na'vi would have been forced to negotiate with humanity, and maybe they could be uplifted from their primitive society.

In addition to this I quite frankly did not like any of the aliens. The only characters who stuck out to me were humans. I liked the executive and the macho military guy (I can't remember their names, sue me). On a really shallow level I didn't like the movie which made me immune to its propaganda.

Okay wow there's been 29 views and no posts. can you PLEASE qualify your opinions.

Why did everyone root for the Na'vi?

EDIT: Nevermind, thank you Hubilub.
wait. the humans were not out for survival, they were out for money. they didn't need that stupid rock to survive. also, your reasoning would assert that there is no cause worth dying for. uplifted from their primitive society? if they want to live in the stone age (which they are perfectly happy to do) that's their choice. the navi were clearly in the right in this case. if I own a pile of dirt, its my pile of dirt, and you have no right to take it from me regardless of how much you've offered me for it.

my only real reason for supporting the navi is that anyone who puts a windshield on powered armor deserves to DIE.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Zeithri said:
Chunko said:
Zeithri said:
Chunko said:
I was wondering if anyone else rooted for the humans in avatar?

[HEADING=2]Here's my reason for siding with the humans:[/HEADING]
I took this from another one of my forum posts
I agree. I always thought that the Na'vi were being arrogant and unreasonable. Humanity was offering them a lot and they refused. Humans were out there for there own survival and the Na'vi would not be diplomatic. That gave them only one option. The humans didn't care about exterminating the Na'vi, just surviving.

Jake Sully specifically was a jerk. Aside from showing no emotion he damned his own species. In addition to this he was hurting the Na'vi as well. If he had not united them maybe like twelve aliens would have died. Instead hundreds perished, both human and Na'vi. I'm sure that after the mining had been set up Na'vi would have been forced to negotiate with humanity, and maybe they could be uplifted from their primitive society.

In addition to this I quite frankly did not like any of the aliens. The only characters who stuck out to me were humans. I liked the executive and the macho military guy (I can't remember their names, sue me). On a really shallow level I didn't like the movie which made me immune to its propaganda.

Okay wow there's been 29 views and no posts. can you PLEASE qualify your opinions.

Why did everyone root for the Na'vi?

EDIT: Nevermind, thank you Hubilub.
What?
Are you stupid?

Humanity was NOT out there for survival, they were there for LOLPROFIT.
One of those small Un-obtain-ium rocks went for 20 FUCKING MILLIONS!
Is that survival? Capitalism?

That was just.. GAAAH!
This is the last time I'm answering this question:

Humanity needed unobtanium to stimulate their economy so they could keep functioning.
Well in that case,
Humanity deserves to die out.

Star Trek Humanity > Avatar Humanity.
I don't follow, wouldn't star trek only be achievable with a booming economy?

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Why isn't there an option to vote for that nerdy human guy who's name I forget? I liked him.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
(apologies if these points have already been mentioned, i'm skimming :)

Na'vi, just about, but not for Cameron's anvil-dropping-levels-of-subtlety reasons.
(that's also the only time I'm going to sign up for that stupid apostrophes-in-the-name crap)

It's, what, the 23rd century or something, and our only method of extracting a precious mineral that's several hundred metres under a huge tree that's the core of one of the tribes of the planet's indigenous population is ... to freakin' STRIP MINE it?! Has the technology for shaft mining disappeared in the interim or something?

Plus one of the researchers has discovered something so automatically awesome (plants that have animal-like nerve fibres - and are interconnected between different organisms via the roots) and potentially almost as useful as unobtanium that even johnny random like myself sat in the theatre clocks it in the early scenes, and it's completely ignored? Get out of town. Never mind the enormous problem-solving potential of a planet-wide organic computer-internet that can both interface with and store innumerate living consciousnesses.

Oh, and they've got the ability to make hybrid clones of humans and natives that can be controlled over unexplained neuro-radio links, but no-one has thought of making surgically implantable rebreather units? Those firefighter/1950s diver type masks are aught but plot coupons.

Just for the two & a half points above, humanity in the future seems to have become so incredibly stupid even compared to the time the movie was conceived (where the general concensus was that we were on the handbasket express) that we could do with a good dose of natural-selection pruning and allow the carbon fibre boned, mind-melding cat people to inherit the metal and plastic technology we'd come up with and improve on it to their own ends.

Other than that, not a great deal of loyalty either way. It's probably intended as a tragedy overall - two cultures coming together in a battle for the survival of each, and BOTH are too goddamn stubborn to consider working with the other for mutual benefit (except for Sigourney Weaver and her damn-near-photocopied Aliens crew of course), so everyone suffers.

It's a shame an extra year or so wasn't sunk into getting the story and plot right, and realising that although presenting the viewer with pretty much a fait accompli, dropping them into the middle of a story already in progress with no exposition is a recognised narriative method, you do need to explain SOME things - e.g. what is the mineral/why they need it, rather than just "the Navi have this, we need it, they won't give it", what happened to the earth (X-files-ism is alright, but the awful things I can imagine wouldn't leave any humans alive, so...?), how come they can't get it by less destructive means, how in all the hell do they make and control the Avatars?
I view the film as quite awesome eye candy, and perhaps a tribute to a huge list of classic, sometimes game changing movies from the past century (there's so many little touches in there that basically say "JC saw film (x), loved it and wanted to include a little of it in his own"), but not a narriative masterpiece in its own right. It's just something very pretty to look at for a couple of hours, which isn't in of itself a failure. Just lacking in backup.

Maybe all this is answered in the special edition. Can't be bothered going back to the cinema for it though - I'll wait until The Friend With The Enormous TV rents the 3D Blu-Ray directors cut (which'll probably have even more extra bits). That or the these-days-inevitable sequel (ugh) :p
That and what might have happened to the tree if all the unobtanium was removed from under it anyway. I have a feeling the very plant life of the planet requires that mineral to thrive, at least in the form it appears. It might be the stuff that elevates it past what terrestrial plants managed, so if you mine it, they all die anyway.

Oh, and golddragon below does have a point :D COWBOYS AND INDIANS... IN SPAAAACE

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
hmm, rampant colonization and exploitation of resources. *mulls it over*

yep, rooted for the Na'vi. Sorry, gung-ho PMC humans don't do anything for me.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
i have to say ii rooted for no one. Since this movie was terrible imo. I thought WOW this movie is beautiful but wheres the GOOD plot, characters and everything. Oh yeah that all drowned with titanic.

Riccan

Oct 11, 2009
The humans were made to be unlikeable, genocide-loving, pricks. The Na'vi were made out to be a Mary Sue civilization. It really is unfair in that regard. Plus if it was a single company that was trying to obain that mineral, wouldn't that imply that the marines were mercs? I highly doubt that, if this was an actual military force that represents Earth, they would act the way they did and only be made up of Americans.

OT: I liked the Humanss more than the Na'vi, but I just wanted to see both sides be devastated beyond repair. Sadly the movie failed in that regard, and instead of showing a truelly horrific sight of the consequences of invading another planet, we get a generic hollywood ending.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
It was the planet of a sentient species, and attacking just for a valuable resource is a dick move to me. When money's a higher priority than sentient lives, shit's gonna go downhill.

Apr 29, 2010
Demented Teddy said:
I wanted the Humans to win soooooo fucking god damn much.
I absolutly hated the ending.

Glory to Humanity!
All hail the human overlords!

OT: I didn't really root for anyone. The humans were sometimes assholes, and at the same time I found the Navy(or however the fuck they're called)somewhat annoying. Keep in mind I saw this movie on a 16 hour bus ride to Panama.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
I sided with the Shawnee Na'vi, mainly because they apparently annoy FOX News. Good enough for me.