Poll: Best Antivirus

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Best how? Kaspersky is quite thorough, but also very heavy duty - I wouldn't want it on my PC because it would take up too much resources. I'm using Avast! at the moment and that's OK, as it's free. If I was going to pay for something, then I would probably go with Nod32. And so on. What criteria are we applying here?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I use Webroot, and it's quite good at picking stuff up, and it doesn't use too many system resources, to boot. It's got a yearly license fee on it, though, so I can see why it might not be for everyone.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Linux...

Anyway, out of those options I'm going to go for Windows Defender (providing you know how to use it). Malware Bytes is also supposed to be pretty good. Looking in the processes in task manager & your appdata is also a fairly good way of getting a general idea about your computer's health.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Microsoft Security Essentials. Much less resource intensive than Norton and I've had absolutely no issues with it so far.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
My bank gives me a free 3 computer license for Kaspersky every year, so I use that. It seems to do the job and as long as you tell it not to scan processes in realtime it doesn't usually affect performance.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is as loaded a topic as browser wars, console wars, console VS PC, Mac VS PC, and so on. Ergo, there is no right answer.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I use AVG, but this is indeed a loaded question.

All I know is that Norton releases bloatware and charges for something that should honestly be free. Basic protection from something that's as prevalent as potential viral infections, nowadays, should be free.

Not that my personal pick doesn't have its cons. The database is littered with false positives, and there's old games I don't have no choice but to crack that consistently register as virii. This means I have to shut down AVG until the next reboot if I want to be able to start the damn thing.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well that depends on what your criteria is. I like to use Kaspersky, but I wouldn't say it's perfect. Like others have already said it is a bit of a resource hog. However it is quite thorough and keeps my computer clean.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I use Comodo. It's free and it hasn't fucked up in the three years I've been using it. Which is good enough for me.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Currently, I'm happy with Avast. I was using AVG until I got fed up with the constant pestering to upgrade to the paid version. At least Avast has a "silent/gaming" mode that doesn't bother me.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
FalloutJack said:
This is as loaded a topic as browser wars, console wars, console VS PC, Mac VS PC, and so on. Ergo, there is no right answer.
No no, it's not there is no right answer, it's there are many right answers.

The best antivirus is the one you will actually tolerate and use. Doesn't matter if it's Panda, with its Scientology links, or Microsoft Security Essentials, with its constant and pathetic lagging behind in detection rates -- the one you actually use is better than the one you get pissed off at and disable because it annoys you, slows you down, or otherwise gets in the way.

Same can be said of browsers (I use Opera despite the occasional compatibility problem!), consoles, operating systems, you name it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Anything that isn't McAfee, the software itself may be good at detecting viruses, but I could write a novel about all the problems and frustrations I've had with it payment-wise. I bought a 2 year subscription, then it ran out after one year, then when I tried to renew it for another year only to have it run out immediately. And I don't even want to think about what it was like trying to move it from my old laptop to a new one.

McAfee is riddled with glitches that coincidentally always fuck you over.

Right now I'm using Trend Micro Titanium, it seems to work pretty good.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
evilneko said:
All right answers? You just made this even more confusing, but since I have no special retort, I'm going to establish some kudos here and move on.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I've been using AVG Free for a while on my desktop, quite lightweight, and reliable, switched from Avast! as it annoyed me.

My new laptop has the MS one on it, just to try it out mainly.

Norton/Symantec stuff is ridiculously resource heavy, and I don't see the point of anything else you have to pay for.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Eh, I use AVG because it's rated highest at the moment... but in truth, Windows installations are disposable (to me). If it catches something, I have no qualms with nuking the drive and starting over.

All of the files I'm afraid of losing are on drives I have formatted in ext4. I think when I make a fileserver I'll actually backup with raided drives, but for now I just count on my luck holding. I've only ever had one HDD fail in the past 15 years (and it was a 10000RPM drive that wasn't being cooled properly. Totally my fault).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Jasper van Heycop said:
I didn't see Zonealarm on here (which I use). It stays up-to-date and has a better Firewall (easier to operate anyway) than the one you get with your windows OS. It is also completely free (it just gives you ads and one of those obnoxious mandatory toolbar installs)
Did Zone Alarm start doing AV software? I did use it back in the day but it was only a firewall. It was a bit too picky for me, though - by default it blocked lots of things - including animated GIFs on web pages (I didn't notice that for a while). After an update, it just went haywire and...seemingly lobotomised - I had kept it in learning mode until then and suddenly it remembered nothing at all and started bugging me for every single thing. I moved on at that point, though I assume the issue was fixed in the next patch or so. I've got COMODO Firewall Pro now and I'm happy. Does a good job and has stuff like sandboxing, so it's OK. I combine it with Avast! because I prefer to keep my protections separate to each other.

And Windows Firewall is the first thing I turn off when I get a fresh Windows installation. It hinders more than it helps from my experience.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I'm not well-versed in computers despite spending most of my day on one, so for the longest time I was using the pre-installed Norton. After it pissed me off one too many times, I switched to Kaspersky and have been using it ever since. So far it's only let me down once. I got a bug that wouldn't allow me to access the internet anymore without inputting my credit card info (it was disguised as a legit windows security program but I'm not THAT dumb) that I got from funnyjunk, which is why I no longer go to funnyjunk. Still, I have had Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes installed since then for those rare situations where Kaspersky doesn't catch something. It seems to cover all the necessary bases.