Poll: Best Antivirus

chazwicked82

Jul 22, 2010
Since I found avast 5 years ago that's all I've used, it's free and catches most things so I'm happy with it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Used AVG for quite some time and was fairly happy with it. After a point though it started to become bloated and unnecessarily convoluted, so I dropped it and picked up Avast and I've been pleased with it since switching.
I also have MalwareBytes and SpyBot just for active scans.

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
The best one I've tried is Nod32 to be honest, but as I don't wanna pay I just started using MS security essentials.

I haven't had a virus/malware warning or problem in years though, and I've also gone months at a time after reinstalling my OS without any kind of protection at all, nothing popped up after I did get protective software and did full scans, but I am generally very cautious on the internet, and have apparently been lucky enough to avoid situations where caution wouldn't matter anyway.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
piinyouri said:
Used AVG for quite some time and was fairly happy with it. After a point though it started to become bloated and unnecessarily convoluted, so I dropped it and picked up Avast and I've been pleased with it since switching.
I also have MalwareBytes and SpyBot just for active scans.
opposite
used avast for years until it started to bog my system. switched to AVG and never looked back

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MorganL4 said:
DoPo said:
Best how? Kaspersky is quite thorough, but also very heavy duty - I wouldn't want it on my PC because it would take up too much resources. I'm using Avast! at the moment and that's OK, as it's free. If I was going to pay for something, then I would probably go with Nod32. And so on. What criteria are we applying here?
Define Heavy.... I have it running on my PC as we speak, If you combine Kaspersky and Malwarebytes (Which I use in tandem) it is still taking up only 5MB of RAM..... (Steam and Firefox are taking up the lions share.... its at 32% out of 8 gig)

As far as my processor is concerned..... I have one core at 5% and the other three are fluctuating between 2% and 0%....

So I wouldn't call it a resource hog, considering my PC is 5 years old now....

Granted... When it is doing a full scan it is a REAL hog, but that only takes about 4 hours, and I do it every three days.... It runs while I'm at work, and I don't care how slow my computer is when I am not using it...
Hmm, maybe it's gotten better - I've seen it slow down normal desktop PCs before and a friend of mine finally had to switch to a different AV because of it. I know a couple of other people also had issues with slowdowns but were fine with them, so they didn't move over to anything else.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I used to have BitDefender, but I felt it was a bit of a resource hog. Switched to ESET, which is relatively lite and quite reliable.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/avc_sum_201212_en.pdf

Bitdefender is by objective scientific metrics; measuring: file detection abilities, anti-phishing, heuristics, computer performance, ect.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I always use the free version of Avast and I've never had an issue, granted I'm an IT professional so maybe it's not as good as I think but the only other AV I rate is kaspersky but when I used that it was a lot more resource intensive.

As for Norton and Mcafee I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I run a cocktail of COMODO, Malwarebytes and Spybot on top of adblock (not here, I PubClub here) alongside NoScript. I refuse to use anything that requires payment as I can do a little more legwork and get the same performance or better for free.

devotedsniper said:
As for Norton and Mcafee I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.
Same, even if they're getting better about the resources that they use up they've still got a shitton of catch-up to play before I'll ever consider them for my machines. Like having a decent free version.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
During my 4 years in IT I've worked for companies that have used NOD32, Sophos, and Kaspersky as business solutions. Sophos in my experience was pretty terrible with prevention, NOD32 was good with resource efficiency, and Kaspersky which I'm using in my current job has the most advanced features in terms of computer management, but is resource heavy.

At home I've always stuck to AVAST for many years, never had a single infection with it installed. The silent option and resource efficiency is also great for gaming.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I'm using AVG right now as it's free. My preference however is ESET Nod32. Lightweight, fast and pretty darn thorough. I'm too cash strapped to renew the license each year right now though. It's big selling point for me was that it did it's job without constantly feeling this needy need to tell it was and it stayed the fuck out of my way.

the best antivirus though is not being a blithering idiot in your web habits though. First defense is always user diligence.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Avast and Kaspersky. I used AVG for many years previously until they got bought out and turned to shit, but Avast actually hurt PC performance when playing online and stuff.

I also use MBAM & Spybot.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I answered "Other" because you didn't list 'Prevention'.

The best antivirus is not to get a virus. Be careful out there folks.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I've had AVG for several years and it hasn't found a single virus yet.
I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Anti-virus?

In all seriousness I've found most anti-virus software that isn't Norton or McAfee usually does the job. I been using Kaspersky on my windows install for 3 years running with little issue, although it does like to occasionally flag game launchers as malicious software. Before that I used Bit Defender which was serviceable if a bit system intensive.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Esotera said:
You sneaky ninja you. Diving out of the trees and swiping the wind from my sails.

MorganL4 said:
DoPo said:
Best how? Kaspersky is quite thorough, but also very heavy duty - I wouldn't want it on my PC because it would take up too much resources. I'm using Avast! at the moment and that's OK, as it's free. If I was going to pay for something, then I would probably go with Nod32. And so on. What criteria are we applying here?
Define Heavy.... I have it running on my PC as we speak, If you combine Kaspersky and Malwarebytes (Which I use in tandem) it is still taking up only 5MB of RAM..... (Steam and Firefox are taking up the lions share.... its at 32% out of 8 gig)

As far as my processor is concerned..... I have one core at 5% and the other three are fluctuating between 2% and 0%....

So I wouldn't call it a resource hog, considering my PC is 5 years old now....

Granted... When it is doing a full scan it is a REAL hog, but that only takes about 4 hours, and I do it every three days.... It runs while I'm at work, and I don't care how slow my computer is when I am not using it...
My PC is about 7 years old (GPU is 4 or 5..) and a dual core so... Yeah kaspersky isn't THAT hungry a beast when it's only idling and noscoping malware scripts as it does. A full scan is a surefire way to make everything run like arse though!

OT: I use kaspersky for my windows time and on Linux I just don't bother because nobody makes viruses for Linux because very few people use Linux.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Norton and McAfee are bloated pieces of crap these days. And that's before I get into their business models.

IT Managers I've spoken to in the past couple of years have recommended Nod32 or TrendMicro.

In the free stakes for Windows home users, you've got three main players: AVG lopped off a lot of core functionality from its free product some years back. Avast! is still complete as far as I know, but has become really resource intensive and comes with a buggy, bloated client. MSE is lightweight and complete when bundled with Windows Defender, and probably my pick of the bunch.

Back in the pay category, dishonourable mention to AhnLab V3 for being the worst piece of shit rogueware I've ever encountered, yet sadly clocking huge sales globally.

Of course, prevention is always better than cure. Nothing will ever beat the potent combo of:
a) Not accepting USB drives from deadbeat friends.
b) NoScript.

RyoScar

May 30, 2009
I use Microsoft Security Essensials and Advanced System Care, never had an issue, used to use AVG but it kept calling Steam files viruses and nagging me to upgade.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
So, Linux is indeed nice for avoiding viruses. For now, because it isn't a mainstream OS.

I spend most of my time logged into Windows because most games are for Windows, however. Well, games that make it to the PC.

I don't honestly know what is the best, but I use Avast like pretty much everyone.