Poll: Best Controller for a Console

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Poll time people, which game controller, in terms of design, feel, etc. is the best in your opinion?

I won't say my response for fear of poisoning the well.

Here's a handy chart (which is missing Wii U controller):

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
PS controller, the dpad makes it an easy win for me. I can't stand one-piece floating dpads...technically the PS dpad is also one-piece, but it at least gives the impression/feeling of individual buttons and that's what I love.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
PlayStation, I find them the most comfortable. 360 controllers feel too big to comfy. Older controllers aren't as refined as newer ones and very basic.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The Gamecube was my favorite. The controller was comfortable, and I prefer the asymmetric feel of controllers such as Gamecbue and 360 controllers over the Playstation controller. What causes that controller to win in the end is that I find it more comfortable than the 360 controller, I don't have to constantly switch the batteries and recharge it (being wired isn't a big deal), and the button layout's method of emphasizing the more important buttons was really nice.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Arakasi said:
Here's a handy chart (which is missing Wii U controller)
It's also missing the Saturn controller, though that's pretty much the same as the 6-button Genesis controller (listed as Sega CD), exchanging one option button for two shoulder buttons.

Also, the Saturn controller is my pick. Because it complimented the strengths of the console it came with so extremely well.

The Saturn was a 2d powerhouse, and as far as 2d gaming goes, IMO you couldn't ask for a finer controller. It inherited the awesome d-pad of its Genesis predecessors[footnote]I don't know why Sega abandoned that for the Nintendo-style cross d-pad on the Dreamcast. I think it's awful.[/footnote]. From the 6-button model it inherited its comfortable shape, not too big and not too small, and those 6 face buttons that make it more analogous to the button lay-out of an arcade cabinet. An actual arcade stick is still better for fighting and other arcade-style games, but lacking one of those, the Saturn controller will not let you down.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Sony consoles (PSX, 2 & 3) are the only ones I've actually played on and the controls were always comfortable and easy to use, to me. Anything else just feels weird and I need to get back to Dualshock to play right.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Uh, the N64. Is this really a question? Why was it bundled with the Dreamcast?

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Definitely the 360 controller. The PS controller is good (in some ways better), but the size, shape, and feel of the xbox controller are the best suited to my hands.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Playstation controllers make me happy. The fact that they don't drastically redesign them keeps the feel pretty standard. And each version just seemed to get more refined. I don't know if the PS4 controller will be a worthy successor yet, but I plan on finding out. We'll see if the touchpad measures up. Not expecting much, considering the Six Axis controller.

For the record, all Xbox controllers just don't feel comfortable to me. They aren't horrible, but I just can't get as comfortable with them as a Playstation controller.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I have really small hands, so I find the playstation three controller quite a bit more comfortable than the gargantuan that is the 360 controller.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
The Playstation controller wins my vote because it is the easiest to use for fighting games (in terms of pads), I also like the fact that it has remained essentially the same so my hands just stay use to it. Other then the d pad though it could go between the 360 and any given dualshock controller.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
As much as I love my PS3, the 360 controller is just perfection (besides the sometimes annoying D pad). Perfect size and I much prefer the placement of the analog sticks.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Keyboard and mouse hooked up to a PS3.

...okay, I also like my thumbsticks set down low, because there is absolutely no game that feels comfortable to me using two of the damned things simultaneously... so the sony dualshock series layout.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Gamecube for me. I could do everything the quickest on it since it was balanced so well. I would say it's almost perfect but those big trigger buttons felt a little too deep. I would literally just buy the Wii U if it had the option for a Gamecube controller, I had that much pleasure using it.

I really liked the Playstation one too except there were times where it felt to cluttered, and making sharp turns on the joystick sometimes felt awkward sometimes because of the knob size.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i like the PS1/2/3/presumably4 controllers
firstly because they are pretty standard pick up any kind of Playstation and the controller layout is the same
secondly unlike the Xbox controllers they don't cause me physical pain to use and i think that's pretty high up the list in terms of usability does your controller cause physical pain to use yes? ok lets redesign
also i like the Analoug stick placement on PS controllers much better
though i do like my PC game pads that are ostensibly an Xbox controller but shaped and work just like a PS2 controller
i had a friend who had a PS with the origional controllers that were non dualshock and they felt real weird compared to the later model dual shock controllers they weighed nothing and the later models had a nice bit of weight to them

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
In terms of comfort, the OUYA controller wins IMO.

It has the same comfortable button layout as the 360 controller, but the actual shape of the handles and lack of screw holes makes it much more comfortable to hold. the 360 tends to make my hands ache after a while.

I used to use the 360 controller on my PC, but now I use the OUYA controller exclusively for my PC.

Only complaint I have about the OUYA controller is the d-pad(kinda hard to push) and the triggers and bumpers. Most of the games I play don't seems to use those buttons heavily, so it hasn't been much of a problem for me.