Poll: Best fighting game franchise?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Soul Calibur. I love that series; it's always had a special place in my heart. I mastered SC2, and after a brief falling out with SC3 I jumped back in with four. I'm waiting for number five. Hopefully they bring back team battles and maybe a tournament mode.

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
I've been playing the Smash Bros. series since it debuted on the N64. Absolutely hectic fun with four players and you can beat the stupid out of whatever Nintendo character you despise the most.

And it also didn't have the overly complicated combos. Which is my only lament about most fighting games.

(Also, I actually liked Castlevania: Judgement quite a bit. Don't hate me.)

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Believe it or not, I do understand most of what you're saying.

Except for a few choice concerns of mine:

Dreiko said:
Making a thread to cause debates is arguably trolling you know.
However you might define "trolling," you'll find that these forums are indeed designed to spark debates. Read the forum rules. It's right there. The Escapist wants debates. That's what we're here for.

Dreiko said:
...that there either are no criteria upon which the selection was made or that it's simply the "best popular fighting series", instead of simply the best, regardless of popularity. Like in that "our awards" episodes of extra credits, we shouldn't only list blockbusters in our lists, we should simply go for the best, even if it's not as well known.
I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Perhaps this issue was a mistake of mine. Allow me to clear it up.

I believe things are popular for a reason. So, in that mindset, it occurred to me that most people would believe a popular franchise is the best franchise. After all, they're popular because they have a lot of fans and support and enthusiasts, etc. And by the looks of it, a lot of the people responding to the thread are heavy niche gamers. I didn't predict that would be the case. But either way, it's totally understandable to assume that popular franchises have a lot of support.

(And yes, I've seen that episode of EC)

Dreiko said:
If a game is broken, the experts are those who find out how
If it takes an expert to find out how a game is "broken," then it's probably not broken in the first place. If a game is "broken," that means its mechanics are so unbalanced that it can't be enjoyed. But, if only experts notice the problems, then that means the problems aren't really that obtrusive in the first place. The rest of the community can still enjoy the game all the same. That, to me, doesn't qualify as being "broken."

Dreiko said:
their opinions are law.
No one's opinions are law. Unless you live in Cuba.

Dreiko said:
There's more walking than shooting in an FPS
Yes, but the shooting is still what the game is all about. Take a rail shooter on the Wii, for instance. Many of them don't even have walking mechanics, like Dead Space Extraction. It just moves for you automatically. Why is that possible? Because FPS's are about shooting, regardless of how much walking is typically involved.

Dreiko said:
"Theatrical Brawling games" would be more closely deceptive of a title.
A theatrical brawl is still a fight.

Dreiko said:
Say, how about we do NOT actually take the title of a genre at face value? Why don't we just let them have that name for simplicity's sake but don't actually attach any further expectations or responsibilities to it beyond loosely relating to it, hmmm?
This isn't about expectations. I challenge you, find me one fighting game that doesn't involve two people fighting. If you can do that, I will personally use my own life savings to found the church of Dreikoism.

Games of a certain genre are always, always, always labeled under that genre for a reason. Fighting is fighting. Where to go from there is what makes each franchise different. But I assure you, each and every one of them somehow incorporates fighting into the mix.

Dreiko said:
The results here are as they are due to the nature of your list, that's why I'm mad! XD
Understandable. But not even Christ alive could create a list that would please everyone. Especially not with only 8 slots. You can't blame me for using my own personal brain to come up with the available choices.

I'd be impressed if you still have more rebuttles for me :p

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Odysseous2 said:
If it takes an expert to find out how a game is "broken," then it's probably not broken in the first place. If a game is "broken," that means its mechanics are so unbalanced that it can't be enjoyed. But, if only experts notice the problems, then that means the problems aren't really that obtrusive in the first place. The rest of the community can still enjoy the game all the same. That, to me, doesn't qualify as being "broken."
It takes experts to find it within an hour or two. Everyone would find it eventually, experts are able to do that in the limited time the location test allots. Metagame takes MONTHS to develop, it takes experts to be able to jump months ahead of the average player and detect things that once discovered would break the game all across the skill board.

No one's opinions are law. Unless you live in Cuba.
They may hold the tests there, I haven't inquired as to the location tests'...locations :D.

Yes, but the shooting is still what the game is all about. Take a rail shooter on the Wii, for instance. Many of them don't even have walking mechanics, like Dead Space Extraction. It just moves for you automatically. Why is that possible? Because FPS's are about shooting, regardless of how much walking is typically involved.

Thank you, and in fighting games, despite the title being what it is, it's all about highly complex reactionary and foretelling gameplay, the ability to read your foe and perfectly execute button sequences in fractions of a second. No matter how much "other stuff" you may or may not have in the game (fatalities, stupid upside down modes, items, lava pits) it's always going to be about that and if the "shooting" sucks it's a bad fighter.
A theatrical brawl is still a fight.
A theatrical brawl is also a way to expend energy, should we name things anything that they can pass as instead of what is closer to their actual identity?
This isn't about expectations. I challenge you, find me one fighting game that doesn't involve two people fighting. If you can do that, I will personally use my own life savings to found the church of Dreikoism.

Games of a certain genre are always, always, always labeled under that genre for a reason. Fighting is fighting. Where to go from there is what makes each franchise different. But I assure you, each and every one of them somehow incorporates fighting into the mix.

Well, there's Dead or Alive Beach special, which is a fighting game about girls going to the beach and wearing skimpy clothes and tanning and playing volleyball and what not.

But other than that, just because there's fighting it's not a fighting game, just like how MW2 having RPG elements doesn't make it an RPG. You need to have more things besides the most basic form of fighting in order to have a fighting game.

Oh and keep your savings child, I have enough churches bugging me as is.
Understandable. But not even Christ alive could create a list that would please everyone. Especially not with only 8 slots. You can't blame me for using my own personal brain to come up with the available choices.

I'd be impressed if you still have more rebuttles for me :p
That's why you should have aimed at pleasing people actually really into fighting games over people who have played fighting games as one of 20 genres they dabble in. They are the ones the most invested thus they have a higher priority. What you called "niche" above is indeed that, but niche fighting games are at the same time really popular with the serious folks since the serious folk are not enough to make something "not niche" but they are enough to keep a series alive for years, make it hype, give it spotlight during tournaments etc.

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Dreiko said:
Thank you, and in fighting games, despite the title being what it is, it's all about highly complex reactionary and foretelling gameplay, the ability to read your foe and perfectly execute button sequences in fractions of a second. No matter how much "other stuff" you may or may not have in the game (fatalities, stupid upside down modes, items, lava pits) it's always going to be about that and if the "shooting" sucks it's a bad fighter.
I agree. XD I wonder if that was even part of the argument, or if it was just a point both of us were trying to make in increasingly obtuse ways.

Dreiko said:
Well, there's Dead or Alive Beach special, which is a fighting game about girls going to the beach and wearing skimpy clothes and tanning and playing volleyball and what not.
Well, fuck.

Dreiko said:
But other than that, just because there's fighting it's not a fighting game, just like how MW2 having RPG elements doesn't make it an RPG.
... Actually, I think putting RPG elements into MW2 *would* make it an RPG. Fallout: New Vegas comes to mind.

Dreiko said:
That's why you should have aimed at pleasing people actually really into fighting games over people who have played fighting games as one of 20 genres they dabble in. They are the ones the most invested thus they have a higher priority.
Fair enough. I'll remember that for next time.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Guilty Gear/Blazblue. It's where my (Original) name came from.

I love Smash Bros, but I love Blazblue a lot more.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Odysseous2 said:
... Actually, I think putting RPG elements into MW2 *would* make it an RPG. Fallout: New Vegas comes to mind.
No you misunderstand, MW2 already has RPG elements. What do you think unlocking all those bonuses and new weapons is? All that customization and specialization of your character is pure rpg style yet it's still an FPS.

(looks this debate won't take 20 years to conclude after all, I was fearing it due to your name :D)

MrKupos

Jul 4, 2011
Soul Calibur all the way, specially since the 4th installement. Customization along with a large selection of fighting styles is just awesome. I might sound a little familliar but Soul Calibur is less of a "professional" game like Street Fighter, where fighting hard bots is a good 100 hour practice with the same character to memorize counters and stuff...

I have never really tried anything else then these 2... removing SMBB from the list for "Different game style"... Will look up some videos through.

Doctor Brobotnik

Feb 26, 2011
BlazBlue is the most fun I have ever had with a fighting game in my entire life, and Tekken 3 sucked up about 75% of my childhood.

GG or BB should be in this poll. I read your explanation on why they aren't in the polls and it's not good enough :D

My un-polled vote goes to BlazBlue.

Doctor Brobotnik

Feb 26, 2011
sharkinz said:
It has to be Street Fighter. It is so balanced and everyone can have fun playing it.
I'd have to disagree. Most of the time I've rented out SF and nobody else has been able to enjoy it in the slightest. Even my friends with the knowledge on quarter circles and other 2D fighters. I think it's not all that accessable (sp?) for outsiders. Perhaps that's what SSBB is for, but iono :p

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Dreiko said:
No you misunderstand, MW2 already has RPG elements. What do you think unlocking all those bonuses and new weapons is? All that customization and specialization of your character is pure rpg style yet it's still an FPS.
Ohhh! I never thought of it that way. True :D

Dreiko said:
(looks this debate won't take 20 years to conclude after all, I was fearing it due to your name :D)
:D I'm really glad you understood just what my name is referencing. Believe it or not, most people think my name is in honor of the car, the Honda Odyssey. (No, I'm serious)

I can't tell you how stupid people are getting these days -.-

Doctor Brobotnik said:
GG or BB should be in this poll. I read your explanation on why they aren't in the polls and it's not good enough :D
As long as you understand why it's not here, you're entitled to complain all you want. Just assume that about 80% of the "Other" votes have gone to BlazBlue and that whole franchise.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Odysseous2 said:
:D I'm really glad you understood just what my name is referencing. Believe it or not, most people think my name is in honor of the car, the Honda Odyssey. (No, I'm serious)

I can't tell you how stupid people are getting these days -.-
Heh, I'm actually Greek, I've studied the ancient texts and all, Homer was my 9th grade's nightmare, how could I forget :D.

(do people seriously think it's a car name? >_<)

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The fact that you left Dead or Alive off the main list shows you know very little about fighting games.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Saelune said:
Not sure which s best. Street Fighter is certainly most popular, but I prefer Mortal Kombat which actually is probably one of the deepest games...atleast story wise.

Nope, Blazblue is that. It's storymode is a visual novel, it's basically a whole Jrpg and a half worth of storymode in a fighter. It has more varied endings and time travel and non-canon events than every other fighter put together lol.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dreiko said:
Saelune said:
Not sure which s best. Street Fighter is certainly most popular, but I prefer Mortal Kombat which actually is probably one of the deepest games...atleast story wise.

Nope, Blazblue is that. It's storymode is a visual novel, it's basically a whole Jrpg and a half worth of storymode in a fighter. It has more varied endings and time travel and non-canon events than every other fighter put together lol.
That just deters me. I HATE having to sort through the truth. Mortal Kombat is even better in my mind now for having a clear cut story mode. No questions what happend. They made it quite clear.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Saelune said:
Dreiko said:
Saelune said:

That just deters me. I HATE having to sort through the truth. Mortal Kombat is even better in my mind now for having a clear cut story mode. No questions what happend. They made it quite clear.
There's no sorting, there's a path titled "true story" so everything besides that isn't canon. All the rest are basically cool what-if stories, exploration deeper into the various aspects of the characters and their relationships. Basically official fanfics that lovers of anime will enjoy immensely.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Odysseous2 said:
[snip]Reply to Deiko[/snip]
I totally agree on all points to be honest.

I'm not a fighter fan, I've only played a couple fighting games, I'm not good at them, and I don't even have any for this gen's consoles.

But I've heard of, and played, at least 1 game from each of the franchises you've got in the poll and this thread is the first I've heard of guilty gear. I've heard of BlazBlue but only because I was working in Games retail when it came out.

So although I'm sure you don't care what random internet people think, and what I've said can't validate or refute an argument, I thought you'd like to know I agree with you.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Odysseous2 said:
Protip: Include a "Guilty Gear/BlazBlue" option next time. Why? Every single time this topic comes up, it is left out of the poll and a bunch of comments are for them or are bitching at the OP for leaving them out. Every. Single. Time. So just start including them. That bottom option is useless anyway.