Poll: Best FPS ever?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Not a big FPS person but the ones I enjoyed alot were Quake 2(tons of time spent on laning with friends) and Counterstrike. Strange not seeing none of those titles in the options since both(Quake Live and CS 1.6)are seen as the best and most competitive FPS. As far as I know they have the biggest prize pools of all esports games. But then again this is a haven for console kiddies :)

lovestomooch

Jun 14, 2010
BORDERLANDS!! its just shooty shooty fun, lots of guns and more bad guys than you could shake a stick at

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
John Marcone said:
Your poll suffers from a distinct lack of Borderlands.
As for the why. Because its fun. It is not a corridor shooter. Its a nice bit set of fuckoff huge maps and I can run whereever and just do as I please.
I personaly hated borderlands >_>

it was to repeative for me

and yes i played both online and offline for stuff both bored me shitless

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Halo: Combat Evolved, like it or not the game was one innovation after another. It also had an epic story, excellent graphics, an amazing single player, and the best Multiplayer around. It was also the game that really made me a gamer for life. So it has nostalgia going for it as well. If it wasn't for that, Reach would probably take my top spot.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
for me, a tie between Doom and Counter Strike.
Doom made me a PC gamer, and Counter Strike ate half of my life.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
Telumektar said:
I loved The Chronichles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It blends action FPS and stealth in such a unique way. It's sequel is somewhat bland.
I wouldn't class Escape from Butcher Bay as my favorite FPS, I had a lot of fun with it when I played it through. As for my own favorite FPS, I would have to say it's a mash between Halo: Combat Evolved, Borderlands, Call of Duty 4, and Doom II. I would elaborate more on why these rank among my favorites, but I would spend all night writing it! In short, each game had something unique in them that caught my eye when playing, and has stuck with me since.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
strangeotron said:
Star Wars jedi outcast dark forces 2 or whatever it was called.

Why?

Because the experience of playing that game, many years ago one easter, remains unrivalled by any of today's efforts.

i'm sure technically it doesn't compare. Obviously in terms of graphics and such it won't. But that's irrelevant. What mattered was that I had fun playing it; from the title crawl with that soundtrack to me beating the final boss. It wasn't a story trying to be deep and dark with homoseuxal elvebn love scenes. It probably wasn't even a very good shooter, though the force powers were fun. It was a great game experience that every single one of today's games could learn from.
So. True.

Just played through Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, for about the 5th time. Had more fun playing that than I did during the whole of the time I spent with Half Life 2 or BioShock. Maybe my judgement is clouded by nostalgia, but to be honest who cares? I had fun, and that's what really matters with gaming. Also, swatting Stormtroopers around like flies doesn't need HD graphics to be badass.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:
Funny how Halo:CE isn't there.

I voted Doom, but that's just my opinion. I really liked Doom.
Halo?
Sure, it was the best the xbox had to offer, and it's not bad in of itself.
But compared to all the other FPSes on the PC, it just didn't hold a candle.
If it was released on the PC and not the xbox, it'd get a lukewarm reception at best.
I mean, the only thing it brought to the table was regenerating health and vehicles.
Everything else was pretty bland.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Time-splitters 2 is my favorite, but honestly, i think it's ridiculously petty that you haven't included Halo or Cod on your list at all. You might not like them personally, but they probably are quite a few peoples favorite games, and the poll seems incredibly biased without them.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Modern Warfare (2009).
^This if we're talking singleplayer.

For multiplayer, Battlefield: Vietnam (the original one, not the BFBC2 expansion).

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I don't think that Duke Nukem 3D deserves to be in that list, Halo CE clearly had more of an impact and leaving it out seems a bit obtuse and designed to bring in arguments.

I would have to say Halo Combat Evolved but all on that list are pretty close.