Poll: Best Metallica Album

Malifact

Apr 13, 2010
I loved all of their albums (St. Anger aside), and I certainly thought that Death Magnetic was the return-to-the-roots act we'd all been waiting patiently for, but I still like "And Justice For All" the best. It's just a phenomenal album.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i chose the "kill em all" option because i assume taht means i want to kill em all. idont like metallica. i like voting in polls

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
If you read a lot of the original St Anger reviews, they were good, it just became fashionable to slam it. Had another band released it, people would have loved it. I still listen to it, The Unnamed Feeling and All Within My hands are two of the best Metallica songs out there. It wasn't their best though. Ride the Lightning was

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I'm fairly sure there is already an identical thread already. Anyway, Ride The Lightning is the best because it has the Ktulu (Cthulhu) seal of approval. And a chair.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, Load and Reload had a couple of good songs, but St Anger only had Frantic that was any good, but their biggest problem was that people expected more, but Metallica wanted to go in a different direction to The Black Album instead of just do it again to make money.

...And Justice For All is great, but it's a little show-offy musically, so it's between Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning. Personally I'd vote for Kill 'Em All, because it, like Anthrax, is one of the ultimate examples of how to combine punk and metal to make awesome thrash metal.

IncindiaryPickle

Aug 20, 2009
The only two I've heard are the black album and Master of puppets, and I adored the later.
I listened to it about a month ago and I thought it was absolutly senstional.

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
Although it's a concert CD, i like S&M.

if you're asking about a studio album, i have to go with the black album.

John_Dillinger

May 6, 2010
Kill 'em All is the only album I still listen to and im glad it is. Did enjoy Ride the Lightning a hell of a lot in my day though

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Superbeast said:
Why the hell isn't S&M on the list?

Pretty much all the best Metallica tracks, with absolutely stunning orchestral backing.
My thoughts exactly. S&M was my favorite by far.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
...and Justice for All was always my favorite by Metallica, to me when they peaked at greatness.

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
I don't know if I preferred any one album... I'm not a die hard Metallica fan... These are my favourite songs though:

1. Unforgiven II
2. Turn the Page
3. Nothing Else Matters
4. No Leaf Clover
5. Wherever I may Roam
6. The Memory Remains

I don't like a lot of the older stuff... not really into Thrash Metal. I love Guitar Hero Metallica though! Metallica is coming to NZ this year, the tickets for their two concerts sold out in like 20mins apparently. Is gutting they're not doing another couple of concerts in like Wellington and Christchurch.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Jack_Uzi said:
I must say ...and justice for all. I bought it when I was 14 and only for the title "one". When I listened to the rest of the album I thought it sounded like crap. Four years later, I thought it was one of the best albums in my collection. Strange how taste of music changes in the years.
Now I think "one" isn't even the best song on the album, must be "to live is to die".
Don't you think to live is to die gets a little repetitive though?

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Kill them all was always my favorite. I seem to like them less with each album they release. Thats true for me for many bands.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Master of Puppets was their magnum opus. Ride the Lightning might have been more technical, Kill'em All might have been "purer", but in Master of Puppets it all comes together perfectly. That album is basically the voice of a generation, not to say of an entire culture.

That said, personal list:

1 - Master of Puppets
2 - ...And Justice for All
3 - Ride the Lightning

If you like St. Anger above any of their albums, I'm sorry but you're just wrong.

Trivia: Metallica are the only band in history to ever have 5 consecutive album debuts straight into #1 top charts.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
That`s a tough call , but on the whole Ride remains the best `Tallica album in my book there is literally not a single weak song on that album from fight fire with fire through to call of kuthulu

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
S&M!

Oh wait, you didn't add that to the list? Guess I will have to side with Ride the Lightning then.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
freakonaleash said:
Jack_Uzi said:
I must say ...and justice for all. I bought it when I was 14 and only for the title "one". When I listened to the rest of the album I thought it sounded like crap. Four years later, I thought it was one of the best albums in my collection. Strange how taste of music changes in the years.
Now I think "one" isn't even the best song on the album, must be "to live is to die".
Don't you think to live is to die gets a little repetitive though?
After having that CD for 16 years? Perhaps a little :p But to be serious: I understand why you ask it and I wonderd myself why I like it so much. For me the song is just like life and it's stages going from wild to a bit more serious to the point where it fades away and sounds like the beginning. Hard to explain maybe, with all respect, but for me it just sounds like a full cicle with reincarnation and a cherry on top.