Poll: Best Metallica Album

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I like all of their early work, but I had to vote for Kill Em' All.

Usually I like a bands' first album over all the others they put out. Once they make it big, they lose that hunger they had. The first CD is usually more raw, giving an insight to what they band is really all about.

RadioKnight

Jan 12, 2009
The first 3 albums were it, man. If i were to pick one, it would be Ride the Lightning.

RIP Cliff Burton.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
I HATE anyone who voted for Black or St.Anger...Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning were the height of Metallica's badassness

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Proteus214 said:
Superbeast said:
Why the hell isn't S&M on the list?

Pretty much all the best Metallica tracks, with absolutely stunning orchestral backing.
My thoughts exactly. S&M was my favorite by far.
This

but lacking that option, i'd go for The Black Album.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
-Samurai- said:

Usually I like a bands' first album over all the others they put out. Once they make it big, they lose that hunger they had. The first CD is usually more raw, giving an insight to what they band is really all about.
I find it's usually the CD which gets them in with the big boys. Once that happens they either slacken off and ride the success, or they keep at it and keep working artistically. Sadly, it's usually the former.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
RadioKnight said:
The first 3 albums were it, man. If i were to pick one, it would be Ride the Lightning.

RIP Cliff Burton.
Yes. Burton was a musical genius.

Nov 7, 2009
Ride the Lightning for me, hands down. Followed by Garage Inc. and ...And Justice For All.
Ride only has 1 bad track, "Escape". The rest is gold.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
Master
of
Puppets

That album was hit after hit after hit; and they've never made anything else like it, nor will they ever will

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I loved Justice for all actually, if Orion was on there instead of To live is to die, it would be the perfect album.

-Samurai- said:

Personally I think that raw sound comes from mustaine, and although their first 4 albums are thrash, Kill em all is the thrashiest of the 4, just the way the guitars and everything are, it's completely unrelenting and raw. Oh and it kicks metallic arse. Almost...metal up your arse, ba dum tsh.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I absolutely loved Black Album, then Ride The Lightning, then Master of Puppets. They were just so epic.

I also can't understand why nobody liked St. Anger. It was a great album.

I also can't understand why anybody liked Death Magnetic. it only really had one or two good songs, and the whole thing about going back to their roots? Yeah, that died with the change of bassists. They have to move on now.

spankcakes

Mar 3, 2010
sunburst313 said:
...And Justice for All without a doubt. It's by far their most musically complex and interesting album.

Yeah, justice is their best. At least IMO.

I really like the sound of their guitar distortion on that album. Also, I think that the songs they wrote then really helped to define the most metal nowadays. I mean metalcore mostly.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
So hard to choose between Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. In the end, Orion is better than Call of Cthulhu, and Sanitarium is better than Creeping Death, so I've got to say Master.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Berserker119 said:
I absolutely loved Black Album, then Ride The Lightning, then Master of Puppets. They were just so epic.

I also can't understand why nobody liked St. Anger. It was a great album.

I also can't understand why anybody liked Death Magnetic. it only really had one or two good songs, and the whole thing about going back to their roots? Yeah, that died with the change of bassists. They have to move on now.
I reckon DM could've been greatly improved by getting rid of "The day that never comes", because it was trying to be "One", getting rid of The Unforgiven 3, and cutting the song length in half, they were pretty strong songs, but they all go on far too long, I mean "all nightmare long" springs to mind, it ends, and you think "okay that was a good song", then it starts again and goes on for another 2 minutes.

All the riffs were good, they were just too long, failed potential. Maybe next album they'll be back.

For St anger I feel it was just too dissonant, the lyrics weren't as good, no solos, the drums were painful and the guitars just didn't mesh well, again it had potential but ended up as a sludge heap.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Even though Ride The Lightning is my personal favourite (and I swear, if they don't play Fight Fire with Fire in Rock in Rio Madrid I'll be VERY pissed), Master of Puppets is, from a purely objective musical standpoint, a much more elaborate and well balanced album. Add that to the fact that it's balanced on a VERY high level, and you get one of the cornerstone albums of the genre.