Poll: Bioshock Infinite or Skyrim?

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
If I had to choose right now, I'd say Bioshock, because Infinite looks absolutely stunning.

For myself I choose....Both!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No question I'd go Skyrim based on replay value potential alone...this game should pay for itself several times over before you put it down.

You could likely rent Bioshock Infinite and get nearly everything out of the game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Skyrim. I am mightily looking forward to Infinite though.
SpaceBat said:
The_ModeRazor said:
On one hand, you have a game by the people who made Bioshock, which really wasn't such a great game gameplay-wise (or even story-wise, come to think of it).

Then they made Bioshock 2. Gameplay a bit better, atmosphere all gone, story a bit better, and a cool ending. Yay.
Disagreed with the first statement. Bioshock had a pretty excellent story for todays standards (albeit not incredible in general), but some might not have enjoyed it anyway. I would understand why.

The bold part of the second statement in your post, I just can't understand. Bioshock 2 had by all means an absolutely atrocious story. The characters and plot were so bad, I simply cannot play through it again, ever. It was one of the things that makes Bioshock 2 unable to compare to good games. Also, the ending was pretty bad, due to it using an incredibly stupid formula to figure out which ending to show you. It took away control at the worst possible moment, something that should not have happened in Bioshock 2's case.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone prefer Bioshock 2's story over the first and I've visited various Bioshock forums. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, of course and neither of us are right or wrong, but I'm surprised nonetheless.
I agree with him that BioShock 2's endings were better. Whilst both have the pants-on-head retarded system of having you kill one Little Sister and making you completely evil even though you saved 300, at least the second makes this an interpretation of your actions by another character (at least poorly).

In BioShock, if I killed a couple of Little Sisters, I came back to the surface and took over the fucking world.

In BioShock 2, the daughter interprets how you've behaved and acts in a way that she thinks you would agree with. Granted, its still handled according to a bizarre balance-sheet, but it makes more sense.

ShadowDude112 said:
Well, since Skyrim comes out in November and Bioshock only has a release date of Q2 2012, there's not much to compare, But, I guess I'll say neither. Sonic Generations for me all the way. With some Skyward Sword and Arkham City in there too. So, I guess I'll be too busy to deal with those games.
Crikey, I think we've found our one.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Skyrim

Bioshock Infinite looks cool and fun but Skyrim looks cool and fun and has dragons!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Bioshock: Infinite all the way. I'm not fond of the Elder Scrolls series. I prefer my medieval RPGs to be more... D20ish.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
First off... you wont get an unbiased opinion here. People love TES from what ive seen and invariably are going to favor it. (which means my post may get construed as flame bait. Not my intent)

I would say Bioshock. I found Morrowind boring, I found Oblivion tedious and easy, Fallout 3 was just as repetitive and mundane as Oblivion. So I really do not trust bethesda on their own to make Skyrim anything but the pinnacle of what they have been doing for the last decade. Basically more of the same things, just improved.

Bioshock Infinite however seems to be taking that franchise into a different direction (And no I do not mean by it being in the sky) Plus, honestly I found the story in BS1 as well as BS2 to be more substantive than anything in morrowind, Oblivion, and fallout combined.

I think the better story will be from BSI. However it is hard to ignore the simple fact that you will invariably get more hours of content from Skyrim. So the way I am seeing it, the good narrative points of the game will be stretched even thinner.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Bioshock Infinite. Its release date is farther away, and I've been following it a lot more closely than Skyrim. Also, I love the setting of Infinte much more than Skyrim. Of course, I will be getting both games, but if given the choice, I'd take Infinite now.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
If I have to choose I guess I'd go with Skyrim Since I hated its predecesor less, but it uses GFWL so I personally will probably get neither.

InfectedStar

Jul 7, 2011
I've played though the Bioshock series and enjoyed it imensely while as oblivion, ummmmmm not so much.

Edit: Oops forgot to answer the question, Bioshock Infinite.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: What if I can't play either? Do I get the money, cos I am kinda hungry!
Do you have any idea how annoying this is? Just pointing it out.

Back to the topic: Well if you are having doubts that means you think both games will be amazing. In that case you should get Skyrim. It will provide hundreds of hours of gameplay. You probably won't even think of other games while you play Skyrim. And if you play on PC, with mods you won't need another game in years so you'll be set when Bioshock: Infinite prices drop a few bucks.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
I'm going with BI on this one. No offense to the massive fanbase, but I've never enjoyed a TES game. Bioshock just had this wonderful, fairly unique world and feel to it, and I'm interested in seeing how that translates to an entirely different setting.
You took the words out of my mouth.

Tl'dr,BI for me.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Woodsey said:
I agree with him that BioShock 2's endings were better. Whilst both have the pants-on-head retarded system of having you kill one Little Sister and making you completely evil even though you saved 300, at least the second makes this an interpretation of your actions by another character (at least poorly).

In BioShock, if I killed a couple of Little Sisters, I came back to the surface and took over the fucking world.

In BioShock 2, the daughter interprets how you've behaved and acts in a way that she thinks you would agree with. Granted, its still handled according to a bizarre balance-sheet, but it makes more sense.
You might have misread both our comments. Neither of us said that it was better or worse than the first game. The person I quoted said Bioshock 2 had a cool ending, I said that it has an incredibly bad ending, that's it.

But if I have to choose which ending was the superior one, I'd agree with you and say that Bioshock 2's ending is superior. One of my personal flaws with it (there's much more than the one I'm about to mention), aside from the retarded formula both the games have, is that they let Sofia's fate up to Eleanor's flawed interpretations of your actions. Normally I wouldn't mind this, because this is actually the most realistic situation, but the game intentionally turns Sofia into a horrible character and does its best to make you despise her(Incredibly flawed and ridiculous philosophy, insane and brings pain upon others, deceitful, condescending and talks very often), but then takes away your control over her fate and just shoves it into an ending chosen by the ridiculously flawed formula we just criticized.

I personally wouldn't have killed Sofia either way, just for the sake of Eleanor, because she mentions that she never wanted harm to come to her mother. But just the fact that this specific part is completely out of my control makes me believe that the developers are just trying to fuck with me the best they can.

If Sofia Lamb wasn't such a crappy character, if the ending wasn't so incredibly vague and if the formula wasn't so ridiculously bad, I would have actually somewhat liked the ending. It would have put me in a grey area and created a personal dilemma by making me choose between pursuing my own desires (Kill Sofia for all she's done) or being the proper role model and not turning Eleanor into some kind of messed up, unforgiving judge, jury and executioner (I have always saved all of the little sisters in both Bioshock games, so the two "good" endings would be the only possible endings for me). It would be basically asking you how far you'd go to pursue your selfish goals.

But right now, all the devs did was annoy us at every given opportunity, then just slap us in the face and get away with it.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
It'll take me quite a while to "beat" Skyrim. What am I going to do when I finally do? I'll play through again. And again and again and again.

Jun 24, 2009
Skyrim, I didn't even have to think about this one, not just because I'm a huge elder scrolls fan, but because with Bethesda RPGs you sort of have a vague idea of what you're going to get. I have no idea what to expect for Infinite.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Besides Skyrim lasting longer and probably having way more replay value, I think that Bioshock Infinate's price will go down rather quickly, just like Bioshock 2's price. I'd get Skyrim if I had to choose from these two (I'm pretending that I want Bioshock Infinite to answer this question).

Another option is to wait until they're both down to half of their price--or less--and buy both.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Horny Ico said:
Echo136 said:
Skyrim, hands down. Bioshock 2 was too much of a disappointment, so I have little hope for Bioshock Infinite.
Ahem. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108421-Irrational-BioShock-in-the-Sky-Would-Be-F-king-Boring] Besides, Bioshock 2 was made by 2K, not Irrational.
It's funny that they say Bioshock in the sky would be boring..and then they describe Infinite as Bioshock with the risk of falling :D