Poll: BOOKS!!!

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Lilani said:
ThatLankyBastard said:
You read them?

BTW, by "books" I mean at least 100 pages without pictures...
Just wondering how many Escapists read...

Other Topic: What are some good books?
If you don't mind female leads, I recommend looking up the following quartets from Tamora Pierce: The Song of the Lioness, The Immortals, and Protector of the Small (in that order). Also the First Truth quartet from Dawn Cook is very good and the Study trilogy from Maria V. Snyder.

Koroviev said:
I can't for the life of me finish a book in a single sitting. I can never sit still for extended periods of time, much less keep my mind from wandering in a million different directions.
Perhaps you should try the Cirque du Freak series. I've been working on that one recently and it is a breeze. There are twelve books--I'm at around number 4 or 5 and I find myself completing a book within a 24 hours after getting it from the library. And I am not a speed reader by any means. The writing is a bit juvenile (it is youth fiction, after all) but I've found it to be interesting overall.
I read that series when I was younger. I liked it.

Edit: Note on tone- I'm not trying to sound like a deadpan prick. I'm just not in the mood to add smiley faces to adjust the tone as I normally would.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Aerowaves said:
I've recently begun reading in earnest again, yes. Sci-fi and fantasy is my realm. Serious books based more firmly in reality are usually depressing. Indeed, "classics" aren't usually known for their lightness of tone; I read principally for escapism.

Comedy books are also awesome.

Looking forward to Christmas!

After reading some above posts, one wonders...do people read because they enjoy reading? Or because it's something that makes them seem culturally competitive? Do you set yourself a goal of reading a book or do you just let it happen?
I love realism, especially as it concerns Russia. Ironically, I like surrealism even more.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
revolutionaification said:
I will read absolutely everything I can get my hands on. It's terrible really, I've ended up borrowing so many books from people because I accidently started reading them at their house and really enjoyed them.

I'd recommend 'The Book Thief', I just finished re-re-reading it.
Excellent book. Typically, mandatory school reading sucks enormous genitalia, but that one was an exception.

So, yeah, I like to read. I picked the "enjoy a good book" option, but I haven't been reading a lot lately. I started The Count of Monte Cristo, but I stopped and haven't gotten around to continuing it. What with Christmas coming up, I'll have other books to read anyway.

As for book recommendations, I'm going to go with 'The Killer Angels'. If you are even remotely interested in history, it's a great read. It tells the tale of the Battle of Gettysburg through the eyes of the commanders on both sides. Even though you aren't American, it's still worth checking out.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
CrashBang said:
Without pictures? I think graphic novels should be classed as books (cos they are books). But anyway yeah, I enjoy me a good book (My favourite series being His Dark Materials and my favourite author being Dean Koontz)
Not for the sake of this argument. They are books the same way a script for a movie is a book. They tell a story through text, but not in the same manner a novel would. The novel has to base its plot, characters, atmosphere, everything, on words alone.

A graphic novel, while a wonderful medium, isn't the same. I dont mean its 'not as good' by some arbitrary ranking system, but I do mean it's different. It relies heavily heavily on visual aspects. It can be just as much a series of paintings as it can be a book, depending on the artist and the way he chooses to go about it.

Comparing the amount of text in a graphic novel, and a regular novel, on average you're going to get more text in an old fashioned book. They traditionally take longer to get through reading. 100 pages of Frankenstein, is definitely not the same as 100 of any manga/graphic novel of your choosing. Reading them each is a different experience.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
I don't read as much as I should. I blame the internet/video games for that. I do so much reading as it is, that sitting down with a book just sounds tedious. Pretty sad, eh?

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Aerowaves said:
I've recently begun reading in earnest again, yes. Sci-fi and fantasy is my realm. Serious books based more firmly in reality are usually depressing. Indeed, "classics" aren't usually known for their lightness of tone; I read principally for escapism.

Comedy books are also awesome.

Looking forward to Christmas!

After reading some above posts, one wonders...do people read because they enjoy reading? Or because it's something that makes them seem culturally competitive? Do you set yourself a goal of reading a book or do you just let it happen?
Well, in all honesty, it's a little of both for me. I honestly love finding a book that is gripping, that I really love reading. However, some books, like The Count of Monte Cristo, I read just because I feel like I need to read them in order to be a well-rounded person. I guess there's a bit of "I'm better than all these non-reading imbeciles" in there. Not proud of it, but it's there.

However, a book that definitely falls into the former category is a book called "A Fighter's Heart", by Sam Sherridan. It's a documentary of sorts, as a guy writes about how he traveled the world learning about fighting arts and, more importantly, just why it is we feel compelled to fight as a sport. It's awesome, and will definitely put hair on your chest.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Koroviev said:
Khada said:
Night Angel Trilogy, Magicians Guild Trilogy, The Painted Man Trilogy (only 2 out).

Srs, if you like fantasy thats not for kids, get those books. Painted man is especially good.
I guess three really is the charm.
Hah yeh, tho I often wish there were more. For me it can take up to halfway through the first book before you really get into it. So i suppose having another 2.5 books afterwords makes it worthwhile.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I love reading, but I can never find many books that interest me, I just never know where to look.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
TehCookie said:
I love reading, but I can never find many books that interest me, I just never know where to look.
What interests you? What books have you read and enjoyed?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Koroviev said:
TehCookie said:
I love a good supernatural or sci-fi story (Moongazer and Changeling being my favorites but aren't very popular). The problem is I tend to like the pacing and fantasy worlds found in the young adult books and want more mature characters and deeper plots.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Koroviev said:
Panda Mania said:
Ooo! I love books!

Good ones? My dear sir/madam, the sheer amount of them is obscene! But of course, one can remember some...

I personally liked A Clockwork Orange (the movie's good too, but very different, visually). Its invented language gave it strong personality. Shakespeare's plays (okay, so they're not technically books) always offer something new. And yes, 21st century books can still be masterful literature. You just have to know where to look...

As of right now, I'm trying to complete several books: The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Monster Show, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Half the Sky. All are proving to be enjoyable, each in their own way.
I haven't read Half the Sky, but I always look forward to Nicholas Kristof's columns.
Heh. I just discovered his blog/columns after I read the book. It's truly great stuff he and his wife are doing. Half the Sky should be required reading for...oh I don't know, everyone :p

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I do enjoy reading. I spend my waking time playing games or sitting on the com in my free time, then I read at night.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
TehCookie said:
Koroviev said:
TehCookie said:
I love a good supernatural or sci-fi story (Moongazer and Changeling being my favorites but aren't very popular). The problem is I tend to like the pacing and fantasy worlds found in the young adult books and want more mature characters and deeper plots.
I'd give Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a look. It's by Haruki Murakami and it's a surrealist affair. What I found compelling, and continue to find compelling, about Murakami's work is his emphasis on the main character's thoughts. I've also heard great things about The Book Thief, which is a young adult novel in America, however, was targeted at adults in its native Australia.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Koroviev said:
TehCookie said:
Koroviev said:
TehCookie said:
I'd give Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a look. It's by Haruki Murakami and it's a surrealist affair. What I found compelling, and continue to find compelling, about Murakami's work is his emphasis on the main character's thoughts. I've also heard great things about The Book Thief, which is a young adult novel in America, however, was targeted at adults in its native Australia.
Thanks for the recommendations, the first one does sound extremely interesting and I'll have to check that out.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
The First Law series by Joe abercrombie is fantastic. So are the first 5 books of the Dark Tower Series. The last 2, especially book 7, kinda die.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Yup. I usually carry a book and my DS in my bag for spare time. Lately, the book's been gaining favor over the DS, though. :p

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
I'm awful at reading books quickly, which usually results in me not finishing them. Between the internet and well... the internet, I have enough media to keep me intrigued when I'm at home or in my dorm at college.

However, when I'm separated from all that, it becomes much easier for me to read.

When I was in Peru for two months with no available or crappy tech, I managed to read through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead which is quite the behemoth in under three weeks.

(If your wondering, I read it because of Bioshock, thought it was amazingly intriguing at the time, loved how addictive the writing was, understood the metaphorical significance of the sexual content, but still thought it was awkwardly handled, and several months ago debunked its theory as humanism bastardized by neoliberalism which amounted to a wet dream for the return of oligarchy.)

Besides that, I've only managed to read the first three books of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Money Secrets by Dave Barry.

Everything else has been mandatory school reading. I still enjoy reading, its just that its hard for me to dedicate enough time to reading anything that doesn't have me either totally intrigue me or make me laugh a lot.