Poll: Borderlands 2: playing solo

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I have been playing borderlands 2...all day...non stop almost 0_0

originally I wasn't even going to get it since while I felt the first one had potential is was just so dull I never finished...Borderlands 2 on the other hand actually presents its story much better, with characters actually talking to me and all that

anyway, I've been playing solo mostly...since I dont have anyone to play with Ive joined a few games of other people (since I randoms don't seem to join my game and on PC I cant play online at all)

anyway, that hasn't been too bad, but I feel it skips around a bit story wise and I lose my place....I think I prefer to play alone, however what I play alone I get the feeling I'm doing somthing wrong

My actual question here is [b/]has anyone else been playing Borderlands 2 solo?[/b]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yep, solo all the way. However, the game seems to really want you to play with someone. Some of the damage from certain attacks seems like it expects you to die and get revived by a teammate. Also, the enemies with damage-stopping metal shields are obviously designed to be taken by two people from opposite sides. To that end, I wound up playing the Commando, so the turret can do the flanking when needed.

But yes, the game is vastly better than the first one, if for no other reason then because there is an actual story and character interaction. BL had a great setting and a good sense of humor, but it never really used it much and as a result felt very stale, boring and repetitive after a short time (at least to me). BL2 does far better in this regard, the colourful characters and funny dialogue spicing up the shooting nicely. Additionally, the gun variety is far better simply because the various manufacturers have specific unique bonuses (Vladof's minigun-style rapid fire, Hyperion's aim increase, Torgue's explosive projectile weapons, etc.). BL felt like it had slight variations of about dozen weapons, BL2 actually feels like there's a hundred different guns out there that all function differently.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
I have been playing borderlands 2...all day...non stop almost 0_0

originally I wasn't even going to get it since while I felt the first one had potential is was just so dull I never finished...Borderlands 2 on the other hand actually presents its story much better, with characters actually talking to me and all that

anyway, I've been playing solo mostly...since I dont have anyone to play with Ive joined a few games of other people (since I randoms don't seem to join my game and on PC I cant play online at all)

anyway, that hasn't been too bad, but I feel it skips around a bit story wise and I lose my place....I think I prefer to play alone, however what I play alone I get the feeling I'm doing somthing wrong

My actual question here is [b/]has anyone else been playing Borderlands 2 solo?[/b]
Really? You thought that the first one was dull but you like the second one? Huh...maybe I should give it a shot. Oh and for the record when I played the first borderlands I played it alone, so I'll probably do the same with this one, at least until I get to the same level as the people on my friend's list.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
When I do get it I'll probably go solo, mainly because I don't really know many other people getting it on PC.
Plus I don't want anyone stealing my Gunzerking glory.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, I haven't bought it yet, but I guess I'll be playing solo, given that nobody else I know will have bought it for PC.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Sorry, my buddy and I vowed we'd co-op the whole thing through together. Pretty sweet team with Zer0 and Axton kicking lots of ass.

I don't know what the solo experience would be like. My experience with both Borderlands has been with the same friend so it's hard for me to play it any other way.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have 4 different play-throughs with four different set ups. My zero profile is the one I am playing on my own and I am enjoying it but I find I like playing with other people a great deal more. However the same holds true for just about any game. I generally don't find time to play games when I am by myself these days so I like having games to play with my gf.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I've been playing solo the entire time, and really it's been fine for me. I've probably died a LOT more than I would've when playing co-op, but that's fine. I do want to try out co-op with someone else. Shame I don't know anyone else who's got it on PC.

hazabaza1 said:
When I do get it I'll probably go solo, mainly because I don't really know many other people getting it on PC.
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, I haven't bought it yet, but I guess I'll be playing solo, given that nobody else I know will have bought it for PC.
HINT HINT!

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
I've been playing solo the entire time, and really it's been fine for me. I've probably died a LOT more than I would've when playing co-op, but that's fine. I do want to try out co-op with someone else. Shame I don't know anyone else who's got it on PC.

hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
HINT HINT!
Well, if you haven't already, make sure to join the Borderlands User Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Borderlands]. I may be wanting a game with someone when I get it, and it'd be nice to have a partner of some sort :D

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
ToastiestZombie said:

hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
HINT HINT!
Well, if you haven't already, make sure to join the Borderlands User Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Borderlands]. I may be wanting a game with someone when I get it, and it'd be nice to have a partner of some sort :D

Awesome, be sure to add me on steam. Name's ToastiesZombie, or mattyomg01 (I really regret making that my account name). I'm playing Zer0 in solo, focusing on melee. I'll probably play gunzerker for my co-op playthrough. What class will you be playing?

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
hazabaza1 said:
ToastiestZombie said:

hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
HINT HINT!

Awesome, be sure to add me on steam. Name's ToastiesZombie, or mattyomg01 (I really regret making that my account name). I'm playing Zer0 in solo, focusing on melee. I'll probably play gunzerker for my co-op playthrough. What class will you be playing?
Solo will certainly be Gunzerker. Co-op... probably either Axton or Maya. Zer0 never really appealed to me.
[sub][sub]Plus his name is dumb.[/sub][/sub]

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I played solo just to get through the surprisingly excellent campaign, but now I jut play with my friends when they are online.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I got Borderlands GOTY last year during the Steam sale, finally getting a PC upgrade so that I can actually play it; pretty much resigned to having to play solo, as I'd rather not random join; does it subtract from the experience, playing solo?

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I Played Borderlands 1 co-op, but mostly solo. Doing the same with Borderlands 2, I like to get through most of it on my own before playing with friends, friends steal guns haha.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I played the first one mostly solo due to no friends having it.

I am mostly playing this one solo as well due to the few friends that do have it not caring about playing it co-op enough to actually get together with others playing it and are playing it solo. That is, we started in co-op then carried on solo when others weren't around, thus defeating the purpose.

I tried playing it with randoms and they were morons who failed optional bonus objectives that were incredibly easy (apparently a bonus objective to kill a person with a pistol should be done with a shotgun).

In short, people suck, so I am playing it by myself.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm holding off Borderlands 2 until I get the inevitable Game of the Year/Ultimate Edition, but when that happens everyone's probably moved out of the game. =(