Poll: Borderlands 2 Writer debate over twitter about the racist Tiny Tina

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I'm thinking that the 5 people who voted yes ticked the wrong box and now can't revote.

On another note, the people who are calling this racist are morons.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
To be perfectly honest, Tiny Tina actually brought a bit of intellect and charm to that kind of dialect. Here is a young lady, obscenely intelligent, and diabolical, and has an affinity towards more urban speak.

I know when I hear people talk like that "for real" I just have to shake my head and wonder why we don't care about safeguarding proper language skills.

Hearing Tiny Tina speak in that way though added a bit of class to the lingo.

So Tina isn't racist, the writer isn't racist. In my opinion the writer is trying to elevate what can be considered a relatively "low" brand of speech.

So there.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Toy Master Typhus said:
So a group of people were attacking the writer for BL2 over how Tiny Tina speaks, citing it as racsism because of the use of words and phrases like "budonkadonk" and "fine ass lady" as a trope of white girl pretending to be black. Also citing that people who speak in ebonics and not of african descent are racist.

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/5981171/borderlands-2s-writer-says-hell-change-tiny-tina-if-she-conveys-racism-as-some-players-think-

Since we all love our controversy here at the escapist forums I was wondering how the escapist felt about this event. Personnelly, I think this is proof we have stopped wanting to actually try and fix things and are just looking for reasons to hate. This isn't about furthering a medium anymore, this has turned into a shit fest for some priveledged little snot to justify having a sociology degree.
Watched the clip.
I am literally scratching my head trying to find some semblance of racism.

I just found some nutjob girl who's good with explosives.
Even after reading the Kotaku article I'm just left with nothing racist at all in that video.

I guess all I can ask is this to whoever wrote the article.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Ickorus said:
"This character is racist because she speaks like a black person but isn't"

Oooohh shit, the irony almost hurts.
Indeed it does. And goddamn your Avatar.
How many people have fallen for the idea that's a real bug on their screen?

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
If I was a black person, I think I would be more offended that people would associate "badonkadonk" and "fine ass lady" as "black-speak."
This was my first thought, and the first thing I did when it occured to me was laugh. It's only worsened by the fact that these 'stalwort defenders of the minority' are themselves white. I'm sure black people everywhere are eternally grateful that these shining paragons of justice 'stood up' for their weak, downtrodden community. /sarc

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Geez, if those schmos think TT is a racist character, god forbid they ever watch this flick,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1296373/?ref_=sr_1

They'll cry bloody murder!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Toy Master Typhus said:
a trope of white girl pretending to be black.
Well, it appears their irony detectors are entirely borked.

I have a friend who sounds and speaks almost exactly like Tiny Tina. Is her existence a discriminatory statement against black people? Do we have to burn her at the stake? I don't wanna burn her at the stake. ;__;

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
this tempts me to actually create a twitter account just to say that this writer is an awesome guy and that tiny tina isn't racist, she's just too awesome for some of these people to handle. Give this guy some oatmeal raisin cookies... i mean chocolate chip cookies.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
F-I-D-O said:
There is no way she is racist. As someone above said, she's just incredibly spastic. She's as insane as anyone else in the game. And honestly, a 13 year old left to her own devices could come up with a word like "badonkadonk." And since when was using made up words racist? There might be an issue if she was speaking in Gullah, but she's just using slang. I only see super paranoid people searching for problems finding racism in Borderlands 2.
If we absolutely must bring in race, why is everyone on Pandora white except for Roland (and maybe Zero)?
EDIT: Fixed some grammar errors. God damn I need coffee.
Well, there is one thing that certainly could be called racist in BL2.

The black guy is the only one to die. That's like King Kong era racism right there!

Certainly not racist in my book. If anything, it just shows how far we've come.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Signa said:

The black guy is the only one to die. That's like King Kong era racism right there!

Ahahahaha! Aha! I say to you sir, Aha!
A white girl dies as well!
So hah aha hah to you!

OT: Dumb people being dumb. What else is there to say about it?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Ickorus said:
"This character is racist because she speaks like a black person but isn't"

Oooohh shit, the irony almost hurts.
Indeed it does. And goddamn your Avatar.
How many people have fallen for the idea that's a real bug on their screen?
I've counted at least 50, I collect the PMs a receive about it.

Every time I think about changing my avatar I look at them and decide to keep it. :)

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
http://www.destructoid.com/borderlands-2-s-tiny-tina-viewed-as-racist-update--243966.phtml&nav=mobile&mode=mobile

The guy who brought this whole thing up got fired/quit his job over this thing apparently.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
And just like Skullgirls and sexism the Escapists show the are grounded with this subject too :D

I think some ppl on the net need to unclench their arse cheeks a little.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
She's Pandora's deadliest, psychotic, explosion-obsessed 13-year-old who's parents where betrayed by an murderer. the least the poor thing is allowed to do is behave erratically while she electrocutes Flesh-Stick and derails a train.

hazabaza1 said:
Signa said:

Ahahahaha! Aha! I say to you sir, Aha!
A white girl dies as well!
So hah aha hah to you!
And the main villain is a white guy who calls himself 'Handsome Jack'. So there go all the arguments for people who say Borderlands 2 is racist

Techsmart07 said:
this tempts me to actually create a twitter account just to say that this writer is an awesome guy and that tiny tina isn't racist, she's just too awesome for some of these people to handle. Give this guy some oatmeal raisin cookies... i mean chocolate chip cookies.
That's exactly what i was wanting to do, but didn't. And it's not the first time, either!