Poll: Brink Reviews

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
JackSparrowSucks said:
Gigathrash said:
I wasn't planning on picking it up anyway right away, probably will bargain bin it later. I would wait for the review here or by Blistered Thumbs before I formulate an opinion.
You go on Blistered Thumbs?
The website backed by those unfunny derelicts and headed by 5 million pounds of Ham and Cheese masquerading as a hispanic jock character?

The derivative website design, the lack of writers, the shit low production values, and the colorful characters heading the thing is APPEALING?
ARE YOU HIGH?
Opinions, people have them. I go there too. :p
I really like some of their reviewers.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
Jasper Jeffs said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
I don't know why it took people as long as now to realise Brink sucks, it has always looked shit. I remember watching a video of it all the way fuck back and it was the same damn map they showed in some of their most recent videos. In my opinion, the gun gameplay looks dull, the parkour is grossly overrated, the maps are depressing to look at and the customisation is useless.

I feel quite bad for the developers that it has been received poorly, hopefully the durhurhype crowd will at least give them some compensation for their efforts.

I think you can guess that no, I won't be getting it.
Guess its the new COD for you huh...
Wut, nice generalisation. Go fuck yourself.
As opposed to:

'the durhurhype crowd'?

Hypocritical much?
That was a joke. Homeboy sounds serious.
Yet you couldn't tell that the guy who you told 'to fuck himself', was joking?

My oh my.
Honestly, right now at this very second in my life, I couldn't give a fuck either way. Maybe an hour ago I would've laughed even if he was serious or not, but not right now.
emo much?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
While the lack of content is disheartening, i'm an unapologetic Bethesda fanboy (and i've already pre-paid) so... yes, i'll be getting it. The reviews do sting a bit, though part of me expected this kind of critical reception.

The upside is that as i'm an achievement hunter, i'm sure they will provide me plenty of arbitrary goals to keep me playing long enough to actually enjoy it. I'm glad L.A. Noire is coming out soon after, though. Those two games should tide me over for a good month or two, and i think it creates a perfect balance - one single-player focused game, one multi-player focused game. So as not to get burnout on either one.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
This is why I never seek out reviews. I don't want them to warp my opinion of a game before a buy it. I like to form my own opinions thank you very much.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
MercurySteam said:
This is why I never seek out reviews. I don't want them to warp my opinion of a game before a buy it. I like to form my own opinions thank you very much.
You buy games blind? That can prove costly. Games are a huge investment nowadays.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Xzi said:
So far I'm having a good amount of fun with it. I haven't really felt like it's the type of game to hook me for days on end yet, but between the campaign, unique challenges (even has a tower defense mode), and competitive multiplayer, the value it brings is well worth the price IMO.
Good to hear, I'll be getting my copy on Friday. I read Destructoid's review of it and it came out looking pretty good. I actually really liked that review, it was just a brutally honest examination of the game, warts and all. I figure if I can sink ~500 hours into the 360 version of TF2 I can enjoy this for at least a week or two.

Also, spent a couple of minutes looking at your avatar trying to remember where I'd seen it before. It's Ezreal. I fucking hate Ezreal.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
MercurySteam said:
You buy games blind? That can prove costly. Games are a huge investment nowadays.
I meant that it's never a good idea to read into reviews too much. That saying 'don't believe everything you read' could never be more importanat when reading other peoples' reviews. They're good when you want to buy a game that's been out for several months that you're not really sure about, but I've been following Brink for a long time and I'm not going to let a few stale reviews by people I've never heard of before doubt my purchase. Perhaps I'll be more inclined to believe once The Escapist writes their own review.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The game is alot more tactical than I expected, which is a good thing. If you try to go in lone wolf you'll die repeatedly.

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
Once the game is patched it will be good.
Right now there are numerous bugs people are experiencing, i'm even noticing some. Also the AI is awful, i couldn't beat the second campaign mission because my AI teammates didn't do anything.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
pro internetz tip: want a LEGIT review? ask a friend for the nitty & the gritty that already has a copy. derp derp.

pretty much, reviews are just like the news and politics, alot of gum flapping for cash, not alot of giving a fuck about whats being said.

ShadowAurora

Sep 26, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
ShadowAurora said:
KnowYourOnion said:
ShadowAurora said:
KnowYourOnion said:
ShadowAurora said:
Gigathrash said:
I wasn't planning on picking it up anyway right away, probably will bargain bin it later. I would wait for the review here or by Blistered Thumbs before I formulate an opinion.
your going to formulate your opinion after reading someone elses opinion

are you really that dense
Coming from the man who can't use punctuation or use the correct version of YOU'RE, supreme irony..........Don't be unpleasant on these forums please
OT: it looks like a pretty cool game, it'd be a shame if it wasn't up to scratch.
lol, you're is the same as you are...so i was right hows that for irony?

No look at your first line :) so no you weren't right sorry :)
my bad i was in a rush when i got on this site, i think everyone should form their own opinion. i only read reviews to see if there's anything game-breaking other than that it's just someone who gets paid to give you there opinion.
Then sorry dude my bad! I thought you were being an intentional arse but yeah everyone has a bad day and words things in ways they didn't intend! I rescind all my earlier comments :)
im so proud of us! solving this like mature gamers *internet highfive*

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Drummie666 said:
I don't know. I've learned from experience that reviews can't be trusted.

Fallout 3: Critical Acclaim. I thought it was an atmosphere-less pile of crap.

Medal of Honor: Mixed reviews on this one. I thought that the multiplayer was mediocre. I. Fucking. Loved. The single-player. It's the only game I've ever called too short.
Now what I mean by that is that, say a game like Kane & Lynch 2, which was short, but (Based on the demo I played) was an unpolished, nauseating experience. I wanted less after the demo, so I don't call it too short, I call it too long.

Well... Speaking of which, K&L2 got average reviews and... well I thought it was an awful game just from the demo alone.

Metroid: Other M got above average reviews and I can honestly say that it was by far the worst game I've ever played. I cannot find a single good thing to say about it.

CoD MW2 and BlOps got above average reviews and I hate the both of them. Which is strange because if you look at my summaries on paper "They are mirror opposites of each other" you'd think I love one of them. But I don't. I mean that everything MW2 got wrong, BlOps get's.. occasionally right and everything MW2 got right BlOps gets wrong.

I tried the Mass Effect 2 demo for PS3 and I honestly was not impressed. Combat and gameplay overall seemed unpolished. The other stuff was pretty good. That might have been enough to get me interested. But then I noticed that there is aim assist. That you can't turn off.
So in other words: fuck you BioWare.

I think you get the point.
If there's a demo for Brink I'll check that out once the PSN is back online and base whether I get it or not off of that. If there is no demo than... well I won't be getting it.
You hate Mass Effect?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TROLL!
TROLL!
TROLL!

Ban him! Kill him!

Nah I kid. ;P As for a demo I do not believe that there is one or that one is even being formulated soooo, NYAH. I guess you are out of luck there sorry buddy.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
de5gravity said:
R4V3NSFAN1976 said:
G4. 2/5. Read the review.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but you do realize that the reviewer reviewed a multiplayer game before it came out, by saying the campaign isn't that great and playing online with bots. With. Bots. And then complaining that it's not really entertaining. Well duh!
Except, they didn't.

Watch the GameTrailers review. With the exception of the 30 seconds - 1 minute that they spend talking about the single-player campaigns, there are other players in the game, who also got early review builds. Notably, I could make out "G4TV" and "gamespot" at different times in the review.

They played the game against real players. Is it a perfect simulation of the retail product? No, but it's close enough to pass judgement.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
From the moment I heard about it, it seemed like a generic FPS with a high degree of customization.

Customization in this case is also known as the "who gives a fuck" part of FPS games.

Later it looked like it also had some emphasis on parkour style mobility. This seems like a better option than being able to change your outfit to have pink sleeves and a blue hood.

Now it looks like an arena style shooter based on parkour aka shit boring. Having the free running movement gameplay is a good idea, but attempting to build a game around it as the central mechanic?

The game seems to have no further depth... Something the reviewers have picked up on.

I have no interest in buying the game.

Also, the game has been viralled to shit lately, which just makes me hate it even more.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Any given review on IGN represents the opinion of one person who could be very different from anyone posting here. The ranting about IGN getting paid off for CoD reviews or that there's some sort of hive mind mentality there is childish. There are other sites giving Brink scores around 6-7/10. The arguments against IGN have about as much brainpower behind them as those criticizing the majority of critics that gave DAII high scores. There are plenty of games that I love that have been trashed by others - who cares?!

On the topic of Brink specifically though, it looks interesting but ultimately the apparent lack of a cohesive single player campaign means I'll skip it. I reckon if Half Life 3 were to employ the movement capabilities used in Brink the perfect shooter might be made.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
D_987 said:
It's amusing that if IGN give a game a high score they're classed as "payed off", whilst if they go against the norm and give a lower score they're classed as not handing out a high score because they weren't payed off; and if they give a game, a now middling score, of 7 or 8 they're being "safe".

They can't win...

I do get the impression from a number of posts on this thread, however, that you don't really want a fair score. You want a high score to justify your hype for the game, that's why you're desperately clinging onto the reviews over 7.5 whilst insulting those outlets [at least in the case of IGN] that gave the game a score below that.
IGN gave Terminator Salvation a short bland uninspired unoriginal game a 6.5. IGN Gave Damnation a innovative risky but flawed title a 2.5. IGN gets no respect. EVER!!! They are a worthless pile of crap clogging the tubes and and are one of the lead causes of making the industry dumber.