Poll: Can you outgrow videogames?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
This is just a little topic that came up with me and a friend on X-box Live the other day, as the title says, do you think it's possible to outgrow video games?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Sometimes, it depends on the person. It's like saying if you get bored of films or books, it doesn't count all the different types. I don't think you can get bored of them all.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Maybe? I think the new generations won't...

The only reason I've ever stopped is for a woman, but I feel like in the near future they'll start calling them simulations or something, and women will actually try them. It's like any new form of entertainment; it's scrutinized hardcore for some reason and then slowly integrated into every day life.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
You know, lately I've not been playing the torrential amount of games I played in seventh grade. Maybe because I've had mountains of homework, and maybe because I prefer playing Plants Vs Zombies while drinking tea to just sitting down and playing Fallout until midnight.
It's just more appealing to me, now that I've matured a little.

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Dad's 50, and about as Grown as you can get as a human ( he's huge ) ...And he loves nothing more than WoW and videogames, other than like my Mum and us kids I guess.

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
Yes. I would say it is possible to become un-interested in video games, or just stop caring about them. Although I dont know anybody who has.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Ive out grown Jrpgs and disney tie ins and tbh ALL movie tie ins.
Grown into competitive FPS games such as MW2. That said ive also grown out of Wrpgs and MMOrpgs.

So yeh Im done on the Rpg side of things, cast to the wind with my childhood!

haha

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Video games in general? Then no. There are plenty of adults that I know who play video games. Hell, one of my teachers for IB plays WoW and Starcraft II.
Of course, if you're talking about specific games, then yes you can. For example, I sure as hell am not going to be playing "Candy Land" anytime soon...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Sure you can, but it depends on the type of person you are. I imaging there are people (probably very boring office clerks) who one day decided that fun shouldn't be a part of their life anymore now that they'd grown up, and they quit gaming (or quit genuinely enjoying things like Lego).

I hope I'll never be one of them.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
No. You can't really outgrow TV or movies.

I don't watch new Disney movies anymore nor do I watch YTV and Teletoon. I watch new things. Of course, the old things still hold a little nostalgia. Video Games are like this, except age lines can be a lot more blurred than with TV and movies. So I'd say it's harder to outgrow the "childish" games than it is to outgrow child-oriented TV and movies.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
For some people, maybe. Although I don't like the term "outgrow," it's implying that someone that moves away from playing video games is suddenly maturing or something. Video games are just another form of entertainment and art, you are never too old for them.

I've sort of moved away from playing them, I don't play them nearly as much now. My interests have expanded, I've been focusing more on music, playing the guitar, and playing the drums in a band, and a lot of music-related stuff for school is coming up. Although that's only partially the reason.

I like to think all the art that I expose myself to has an influence that both opens my mind to new ideas, thoughts, and feelings and helps me grow both emotionally and intellectually. Artistic input influences my output. But lately, a lot of newer video games have been disappointing me in that respect. Sure, for a while, all I basically played was multiplayer shooters with my friends, just bland, repetitive gameplay. And for some reason, despite how with other forms of art my tastes were exactly the opposite, I liked it. The gameplay mechanics, the physics, all that stuff was interesting to me, and it still is. But while interesting and fun, the cold mechanical workings of a video game only go so far without a great story, memorable characters, and a theme and lasting set of emotions that sticks in my head and makes me think. Even games like New Vegas or Mass Effect 2 don't satisfy this. Sure, they have a great story, but holy shit, I am tired of being this sole, manly, heroic protagonist that saves the world. They are the video game equivalent to science-fiction action movies, and there is nothing wrong with that, that shit's great. But it seems like all new video games out there are like this. What about comedy, drama, romance, and the many, many other infinite possibilities out there? And I find there is a severe lack of good themes, lessons, and moral and social issues in a lot of games.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
it really depends. do you mean, me specifically or are you addressing like everyone? like, is it possible for anyone to outgrow them or just me?
me, no. other people, sure. people could get new hobbies or something along those lines. it happened to my friend before so i know it's possible to happen. he used to be a wow addict like me, now he runs cross country and he's done with games.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
I'll be dead by then!

EDIT: Although I might outgrow racing simulations when I get a license.