Poll: Can you outgrow videogames?

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
I don?t like the use of the word ?outgrow?. It implies maturing and growing up and videogames aren?t mealy for immature children. You can become more or less interested in various forms of entertainment at various points in your life. That plus you can get other responsibilities in your life that takes up a bit more time, meaning you can?t spend as much time with games.

For instance, books, I used to read a lot more books when I was younger. I would not think it right to say I have outgrown books.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
You can't outgrow them, only get bored of them.

You cant exactly outgrow blood, sex, and swearing. Unless hax is involved.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I think you can become bored with them, like you can with basically everything else, but you will always come back at some point.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
BlackandBlueMage said:
depends on what kind of student you are. i'm the biggest slacker ever and i totally have time for video games and physical recreation!
Then again, doesn't that screw up your education?

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
BlackandBlueMage said:
depends on what kind of student you are. i'm the biggest slacker ever and i totally have time for video games and physical recreation!
Then again, doesn't that screw up your education?
that's pretty much the definition of slacker. screwing up your education just so you dont have to work more than an hour a day.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
No, but you can get bored of them. Not the same thing. Except when you're so old you outgrow everything except watching TV with only a mild sense of interest.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
I'd say - depends on the game. Some games are designed for younger audiences, and are generally not interesting to older people.

As an activity, I would say no. Yes, it can become less of an interest to some people, but it's not like "outgrowing" in the same way as outgrowing a game you used to play as a kid.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I am actually not sure. It does becomes a much smaller part of your life. For example, my dad used to play really old games, yet he still occasionally plays doom and old gta in his free time.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Yes, well sort of. I think I have out grown them because I now have much more constructive things to do with my spare time. I don't view them as immature, I just don't have time for them anymore. That's right, a memebr of The Escapist that doesn't really play games much. I still want to kinda. It's just that I have more important things to spend $80 on than a new game.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Xzi said:
Mr.Squishy said:
Wow.
I just discovered something about myself.
I hate movies.
I hate them.
I goddamn hate them.
Most of TV as well.
That's not even me being sarcastic, it's an actually fucking epiphany.
I HATE(!) 99% of Movies and TV shows (especially rom-coms, sit-coms, arnie-style action flicks (or michael bay flicks), pixar movies and 'artsy' shit).

I still do love Scrubs and Rocky Horror though.
I think you're probably stuck watching all the wrong crap. Have you seen any HBO or Showtime series? Those are really the only ongoing shows that I can stand watching any more. Other than The Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Scrubs/Seinfeld repeats that is.

As for movies, only a few good ones come along each year, so I can understand your frustration there. You really have to look to the independent scene to get anything worthwhile.
Maybe you're right.
But we don't get HBO or Showtime here in Norway (or at least not where I'm living at the moment)

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Kagim said:
Yes, because outgrowing something has nothing to do with maturity, simply that your interests have grown and video games just are not important to your new interests and hobbies.
True, or maybe for some it's that there is not many games sophisticated enough to match their tastes anymore. That could change in the future, one can hope.

Sorry to bring that here but you said you would delete my pm without reading it :p

I am trying to have an intelligent discussion, I'm having intelligent discussions with others than you who disagree with me too and they're not treating me like you are. That does say something on your personality.
-I wasn't just trying to win, I meant winning as in getting you to accept some of my view, which you did. You may not want to accept this, but that was my thinking from the start, I did not change it just to contradict you.
-you only assume most people are lying because it further your own interest, which is ironically of winning this conversation.
-I reviewed myself far more often than you, and from your attitude, I can tell.
-I was not being condescending, but you always were agressively defensive.
You barely gave me any examples to prove me wrong.
-The point about digitalisation af media and the article about the absence of copyrights not being so bad are separate points.
-I never changed my "tune", if I sometime changed attitude that was in a vain attempt to appease you.
-Right back at you:
"Learn the art of give and take and maybe one day you will have an intelligent conversation with someone of a differing opinion."

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Maybe.

Personally, as I look back at twelve years of gaming, I have grown out of it to a substantial degree.

I dislike most of this generation's games, I have no interest in most developments and I only play a select assortment of games from my past.

Although, often, I'm not playing any game at all.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I honestly want to get out of video games. I'm a senior in college and have no memories to look back on except going to class and sitting here in my room all day playing Street Fighter. And since I grew up kind of sheltered I've pretty much been doing it all my life as my only means of recreation.

I kept thinking I was going to put the controller down when my social life kicked in or better yet, got a girlfriend. No such luck.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
Dango said:
This is just a little topic that came up with me and a friend on X-box Live the other day, as the title says, do you think it's possible to outgrow video games?
I suppose you can, but I'm more inclined to think that you end up not having time for them with day to day life, or that you've found that a particular genre has become stale to you.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Dango said:
This is just a little topic that came up with me and a friend on X-box Live the other day, as the title says, do you think it's possible to outgrow video games?
I think the initial love affair wears off, and it depends on the person whether they will then continue to play and enjoy computer games. Objectively though I don't think people grow out of computer games as they might grow out of playing with action figures, as computer games have a lot of depth and interactivity; even if your enthusiasm and imagination fades there are always deeper, more complex games or higher skill levels to achieve.

The Hero Killer said:
I honestly want to get out of video games. I'm a senior in college and have no memories to look back on except going to class and sitting here in my room all day playing Street Fighter. And since I grew up kind of sheltered I've pretty much been doing it all my life as my only means of recreation.

I kept thinking I was going to put the controller down when my social life kicked in or better yet, got a girlfriend. No such luck.
Social life and gaming are not mutually exclusive, you can find a balance. Just find some friends to go out with... maybe you can game with them too. I know that about 50% of the guys I go on the town with I also play games like L4D online with.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
The previous generation, and the one before that (those who are currently grown-ups and old people) don't often play games, but they haven't really "outgrown" them. Most of them didn't even have the chance to play games as a kid, and few who don't start gaming at a young age will start playing them as much later.

But us? All of us, who are either kids, teenagers, or young adults? We played games as kids, as teenagers, as young adults. I can't say I've met a single person who has completely outgrown videogames, and a lot of social butterflies I know play more video games that I expected them to.

It's pretty improbable for someone to outgrow a method of recreation they liked/loved before. Though the miniscule risk exists of someone outgrowing video games due to social pressures, since playing videogames isn't still as accepted among everyone as watching movies and reading books etc.

But when the industry gets there, eh, I doubt it.