Poll: Can you outgrow videogames?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Well I'd say since a game is a couple of inches tall, no because it's never been bigger than me therefore I cannot outgrow it

/sarcasm

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
Sort of
Not as in "Video games are immature" so much as a "I don't have time for that anymore".
College freshman here, taking a five minute break.
I don't have time for recreation like video games though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only time I can see myself out grow videogames is that I will be phyically too old (as in my entire body ache from typing, using the control pad and take part in movement base games) to play video games.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I'm starting to outgrow FPS games a bit, and looking more towards WRPGs more. I'm also taking a step backwards and getting into sidescrollers again. Sonic 4 and Sonic Fan Remix helped there, oh and Megaman 9/10.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
I think your more likely to outgrow certain kinds of games than you are to outgrow the entire medium. I think that its only kinda natural as well. As we grow, we start to demand more out of the experience. When we were kids, jumping around getting wompa fruit was fine. We were after a quick fix afterall but now what with the greater depth and technology that have appeared in games, we're starting to demand more. Chances are, if we're lucky enough, further advances in technology and attention to story will make a few of us outgrow the kinda games currently available.

The only exception is Valve...cause they're awesome like that.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Pielikey said:
I'll be dead by then!

EDIT: Although I might outgrow racing simulations when I get a license.
You can drive Ferraris and Lamborghinis in real life? =P

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
You don't "outgrow" any form of entertainment....you "loose interest".

And it's definitely possible to loose interest.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I outgrew games when Halo 2 came out. My maturity I felt exceeded the lowest common denominator which the game pandered to.

I choose to play games that I like because they are fun, not because I feel I must contribute to the community of players or the clientele of any of the companies which make them, such as people who buy more than 1 video game every two years or so.

If you mean loose interest in them, no I have not lost interest. It's waned here and there, but that comes asnd goes, like my imagination, or interest in movies or steam trains.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
In the same way that you can outgrow TV and movies, yes. Incidentally, I feel like I have outgrown both of the aforementioned and think that 90% of the entertainment produced in general on these media are in fact, shite. Especially film. It's so damn formulaic, stagnant and cheesy safe hollywood, if you see where I'm going with this. That, and I just can't sit down with a movie and watch it for about 2 hours. It pretty much kills my interest before 15 minutes have passed and leaves me restless and unfocused, even physically itchy and claustrophobic. Games don't produce that same feeling, and are in my opinion, superior in every damn-ass way to those manly-man hero against the world quest to save the girl/president/daughter two and a half hours worth of shit that is cinema. I am aware that games may very well have that same plot, but there's so much more variety and choice, when film forces you to sit down and swallow the buckets of generic wallpaper paste it so longs to cram down your throat.
Wow.
I just discovered something about myself.
I hate movies.
I hate them.
I goddamn hate them.
Most of TV as well.
That's not even me being sarcastic, it's an actually fucking epiphany.
I HATE(!) 99% of Movies and TV shows (especially rom-coms, sit-coms, arnie-style action flicks (or michael bay flicks), pixar movies and 'artsy' shit).

I still do love Scrubs and Rocky Horror though.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Yes, but I hope I never will. Sure, I have other things to do, but I hope I'll always make time for games once in a while.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Depends on the person. I don't think I will any time soon. Games are an ever evolving medium that caters to almost every age group. Sure you might enjoy certain kinds of games, but games in general? I doubt it. One doesn't outgrow movies either, right?
ReincarnatedFTP said:
Sort of
Not as in "Video games are immature" so much as a "I don't have time for that anymore".
College freshman here, taking a five minute break.
I don't have time for recreation like video games though.
Which totally puts me off college. A life without recreation? Fuck that shit.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Outgrowing games as a medium? Probably not.

Outgrowing specific games? Yes, probably. While Lego Star Wars might seem like "best game evar!!!" to a 7 year old, they may not view it in the same way in five years time.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
games as a whole? probably not. certain kinds of games? yes. I used to love just jrpgs and dynasty warrior-ish games (this was years and years ago). I can now no longer stand either. Mindless repetition just doesn't do it for me anymore (referring to grinding, btw..)

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
See, the age rating for games go up, not down, its not under 18, its over

Sorry, that amused me when I thought of that

In answer to your question, yes and no, depending on your life. I wanna play games when I can, but get bored quickyly and have to change games alot.

Apr 24, 2008
"Outgrow" has needlessly judgemental connotations...

A more neutral term would surely be better.

Games have alot to offer, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by refusing to acknowledge that. It's worth noting that the people who have the worst things to say about gaming as a hobby, are generally people who are bad at them and unwilling to learn...or simply haven't tried them, but somehow feel they can justify having a strong opinion on the matter.

Frankly it's pathetic. But that's ok, you can marginalise them, you're grown up...you watch countdown, and eggheads. That's all the taxing your brain needs, right?...

Don't take my word for it, here's Charlie Brooker and a clip of some wankers on Newsnight.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Lose interest? Sure.

Outgrow? Nah.

I personally will be playing games until me or the medium dies, whichever comes first and I really hope it's the former.