Poll: Challenging Half-Life's Praises

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
*note, This is just a looking back at a game. Nowehere in this post will I say that the game is bad, just shouldn't deserve as much praise as it gets.

For the past three years I have noticed that video-game critics are starting to call-back to Half-life's near God-like plot and game-play, concerning everyone's favorite mute, Gordon freeman.

However, while playing Half-Life 2 to grab some achievements I had missed (Orange Box), I found myself chugging through a sewer for the first half-hour, with nothing more to keep me going than "The Combine are on your ass bro! Get moving!". I even used a dull Pistol+SMG combo. I had sudden flash-backs to critics calling out games for dull, military-issue guns. Shaking off the thoughts of heresy, I continued my trek to find the singing vortigaunt. While blazing through even MORE sewage pipes, I made it to Water Hazard, the part where you are required to mount an air-boat to make it through yet another collection of sewage pipes. Critics calling out vehicle sections in shooters being dull and unneeded came to mind. 'No' I thought 'This vehicle section is.. Different?'. All I found myself doing however, is driving in a straight line, occasional moving to the left or right to accommodate a turn or incoming bomb.

Later on, in ravenhold, all I literally did was walk down a straight, narrow path, with zombies bathed in lights, alerting me to their presence from over 12 miles away with a hilariously badly recorded scream. I remmeber hearing critics say that that was the worst kind of horror!

Soon I found myself in yet another vehicle section, just following a path with the only real thing being done, was dodging mines and hopping out for the occasional road-block. A ruined city (No sarcasm needed from this, you get the idea by now) followed by a large bland, military complex, shooting the same enemy who was in endless supply.

But's that just gameplay! what about the plot!

You are the 'only freeman' who is able to save the world from an alien threat that has taken over the world. The human society has been crushed into just a resistance, their only allies being another alien race who believes that man should not be treated this way. However the aliens control-

You know what? I'll just stop there. The only thing 'unique' that Half-life plot brings to the table, is the 'Gman'. Which even then, is easily summed up with "He is an interstellar being, who can manipulate time and space, and uses mortals to do his biding."

I know that the story is presented well enough in the actual gameplay, but the story in question, and the gameplay, just are not as stellar, as so many critics claim them to be.

Many are going to complain of the lack of HL:1 References in here, but their aren't many things I could say besides, walk down grey corridor and shoot marines, Throwing in a water section, and a part where you have to ride a cart, while shooting marines.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh look, another one. Join the club mate, they have t-shirts.

All I can be bothered saying here is that I never played HL2 until early 2010 and I still found it to be awesome. It "held up" and then some.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
I played it again last fall and wasn't that impressed. I can still appreciate the various levels, mechanics, overarching dystopian society and stuff, but it just felt like a really good game, nothing transcendent or anything. And then I got stuck by a bug in Episode 1 so I'll never see the ending.

Good game. Worth playing through. Terrible physics, though. :p

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
zombieshark6666 said:
The overarching dystopian society
HL had a new cool look and angle for a distopian society, but you didn't get to see a whole lot of it. It pretty much accumulated two small city blocks, and a few farmouses. I'm not counting Ravenhold here (Zombie level, doesn't really count, nor fit in really) , nor anything in Episodes 1+2.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Swifty714 said:
zombieshark6666 said:
The overarching dystopian society
HL had a new cool look and angle for a distopian society, but you didn't get to see a whole lot of it. It pretty much accumulated two small city blocks, and a few farmouses. I'm not counting Ravenhold here (Zombie level, doesn't really count, nor fit in really) , nor anything in Episodes 1+2.
I actually prefer not having too much exposure. The intro, the screens, the corruption of world leaders, the eviction scenes, etc. It all put me right into 1984 territory. I really liked that.

It's like the nazis executing an old couple on a street corner in The Saboteur. That was chilling and it said a lot about the world in just an instant. :/

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
zombieshark6666 said:
Swifty714 said:
zombieshark6666 said:
snip
I actually prefer not having too much exposure. The intro, the screens, the corruption of world leaders, the eviction scenes, etc. It all put me right into 1984 territory. I really liked that.

It's like the nazis executing an old couple on a street corner in The Saboteur. That was chilling and it said a lot about the world in just an instant. :/
I never played that game, so I wouldn't know about it. You do raise a good point on the overexposure trait that could be gained from viewing it too much. However, most of it is only truly seen in the first few minutes of the game, before you get the crowbar.

Jan 29, 2009
Perhaps it is the current state of Video Games that make it seem less interesting.
Maybe it's changing opinions of "what a game should be", as what was once an amazing idea is now done to death.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Singularly Datarific said:
Maybe it's changing opinions of "what a game should be", as what was once an amazing idea is now done to death.
For this portion of your post, I think its that, people have used HL as a model for "What a game should be" int terms of good story telling and gameplay, without reviewing it in the more modern time, as opposed to when it originally released.

Oct 2, 2010
zombieshark6666 said:
No idea about your example, but it sounds pretty much exactly like what Half-Life 2 is all about. The things are often subtle, and it's often just abstract stylized and emotional flow, but that's how the narrative works.

In this sense, it's actually got a lot in common with Halo 1, I think, though the particulars are carried out very differently. If you're looking for a plot that's interesting in and of itself, you're in the wrong place. Everything works to create an effective overall narrative flow.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I tried to play it, and while it was far from horrible, I just couldn't get into it...then again I didn't like Halo CEA either, so maybe it's a sign that video games have moved forward and become more advanced, building off of Half Life's ideas into the more complex things that we see today. I think that the praise it gets is a combination of nostalgia and people thinking that modern games are generic clones, something I highly disagree with, and it gets a pass because it was "first". I still don't get why some people that that it floats head and shoulders above the entire gaming industry though.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Tupolev said:
No idea about your example, but it sounds pretty much exactly like what Half-Life 2 is all about. The things are often subtle, and it's often just abstract stylized and emotional flow, but that's how the narrative works.

In this sense, it's actually got a lot in common with Halo 1, I think, though the particulars are carried out very differently. If you're looking for a plot that's interesting in and of itself, you're in the wrong place. Everything works to create an effective overall narrative flow.
Thing is though, it is praised for its compelling story and plot. About how it is so 'deep' even though Duke Nukem had the same basic story (Though without the whole 'mute' main character)

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Swifty714 said:
You know what? I'll just stop there. The only thing 'unique' that Half-life plot brings to the table, is the 'Gman'. Which even then, is easily summed up with "He is an interstellar being, who can manipulate time and space, and uses mortals to do his biding."
And the Physics + Gravity Gun, and a First Person Shooter actually having a long and comprehensive story, and the AI.

Swifty714 said:
I know that the story is presented well enough in the actual gameplay, but the story in question, and the gameplay, just are not as stellar, as so many critics claim them to be.
I disagree, but you're free to your own interpretation/opinion.

I found the story to be positively brilliant compared to most other games we have out there. When most games have "Oh noes its the russians/terrorists AGAIN" it's refreshing to see a compelling dystopia, and the combine are more interesting then most alien fare.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
erttheking said:
I tried to play it, and while it was far from horrible, I just couldn't get into it...then again I didn't like Halo CEA either, so maybe it's a sign that video games have moved forward and become more advanced, building off of Half Life's ideas into the more complex things that we see today. I think that the praise it gets is a combination of nostalgia and people thinking that modern games are generic clones, something I highly disagree with, and it gets a pass because it was "first". I still don't get why some people that that it floats head and shoulders above the entire gaming industry though.
Halo CEA? Do you mean Halo:CE?

That aside, I agree with what you say about people judging games on past ones, though most of their praise, comes mostly from nostalgia, and that most modern games are genreric bland copies of another.

(Though I may have taken your opinion out of context, admittedly)

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Silent protagonist wearing power armor, blasting his way through waves of aliens with mediocre horror and vehicle sections? unique as shit

Thee basic foot gameplay is still holds up (understatement, its excellent), but that's about it. Everything else is meh.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
skywolfblue said:
And the Physics + Gravity Gun, and a First Person Shooter actually having a long and comprehensive story, and the AI.
The AI was very stupid... All the AI really did was rush into the room. 'take cover' behind any object, and then get ragdoll jettisoned out of the room, and glitching into the midsection of a wall. Which leads into the physics. They weren't that great either. While it must have been a nightmare for the programmers, all it really amounted to is a seesaw puzzle, and the ragdolling.

Fun.

skywolfblue said:
I found the story to be positively brilliant compared to most other games we have out there. When most games have "Oh noes its the russians/terrorists AGAIN" it's refreshing to see a compelling dystopia, and the combine are more interesting then most alien fare.
That why it had the same basic template as Duke Nukem, as I said previously. The story really was shallow.

Oct 2, 2010
Swifty714 said:
Thing is though, it is praised for its compelling story and plot. About how it is so 'deep' even though Duke Nukem had the same basic story (Though without the whole 'mute' main character)
I think this is a result of word confusion more than anything else. I do think that Half-Life 2 has compelling storytelling, but I wouldn't attribute it to the plot being good in and of itself. Perhaps I would call the plot good in that in interacts well with other aspects of the game to create an effective narrative, but that's not quite the same thing.

I think the issue is that people often don't separate the notions of plot, narrative, and storytelling. Perhaps some people do think that Half-Life 2's plot is interesting in and of itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if many simply don't know how to articulate themselves in strict language.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Tupolev said:
Swifty714 said:
I think this is a result of word confusion more than anything else. I do think that Half-Life 2 has compelling storytelling, but I wouldn't attribute it to the plot being good in and of itself. Perhaps I would call the plot good in that in interacts well with other aspects of the game to create an effective narrative, but that's not quite the same thing.

I think the issue is that people often don't separate the notions of plot, narrative, and storytelling. Perhaps some people do think that Half-Life 2's plot is interesting in and of itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if many simply don't know how to articulate themselves in strict language.
This COULD be the case with the common gamer, however that doesn't excuse critics who should know the differences between the three, and how they apply to the game.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Swifty714 said:
I agree. It's basically a B-movie about Aliens invading earth and some MIT nerd in an ugly orange suit kicking ass and saving the day. If you're analyzing Half-Life for its story, prepare to be disappointed. But it's the way the narrative unfolds and the careful attention to environmental storytelling that truly sets it from about every single shooter.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Just replayed Half-Life 2 recently, go figure, and while there were some things that I found irritating as hell I still found it easy to understand why it's one of the highest rated games of all time. Just the sheer sense of ambience and style the game exudes is pretty much unique to its genre as are the means through which the story is told. Very, very minimal and with a heavy focus on environmental story-telling rather than the straight-up narrative structure we're all used to.

What other game does that? Not many, even if we include other genres of games. Ico an Shadow of the Colossus maybe? Amnesia? Erm... Dark Souls? Never played that one though so I could be wrong. And... um... that's about all that springs to mind right now.

I also liked how good the game was at creating the illusion of freedom. Oh the gameplay is in truth as linear as they come, but the way in which everything is structured helps it not seem that way. Just exploring along the coastline with that little buggy was a fantastic experience, peeking inside the abandoned houses and just taking in the scenery.

So while there were things every here and there that annoyed me: A moment when I wasn't sure where to go or another where I was starting to find things repetitive. Overall just a brilliant experience.

One of those games I say completely deserve the praise they receive!