Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Tekkawarrior said:
I disagree with his views. But if the man doesn't like something he should be able to say it...
Don't you agree?
... uhm... yh i gues... is there any point to this post though?

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Mick Golden Blood said:
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Seriously this.

I mean, you should be buying shit from this guy's company cus you life the food it serves.

His opinion on a controversial issue shouldn't determine whether or not you eat from certain restaurants. Jebus guys...
That's capitalism. If you dislike a company for any reason, you have the right to refuse to use their products/services and avoid giving them money.
It's a perfectly legitimate tactic. That's how the system works.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
teknoarcanist said:
Casual Shinji said:
If I were to avoid everything made by people with controversial opinions, I might as well not leave the house anymore.

Walt Disney hated jews but I still like his movies.
Right, but if Disney were funding Neo-Nazi organizations, would you still be giving them money?
I think there's a difference between funding neo-nazis and lobbying against gay marriages though. In my opinion people have the right to lobby against whatever they want; it's their money. If they use their money to support criminal organizations however, like neo-nazis, then that's a no-no.
Actually being a neo-nazi isn't a crime. They're free to gather and voice their views -- they're just considered a hate group. And we may not draw the comparison so readily between the anti-gay lobby and neo-nazi groups, but I don't see much of a difference. Even if one is more extreme than the other, they both come from the same place of hatred and ignorance.

goldenjester

Feb 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
If I were to avoid everything made by people with controversial opinions, I might as well not leave the house anymore.

Off-topic for just a moment: Walt Disney didn't hate jews. This myth stems from his involvement with the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, which was an anti-communist and anti-semite organization. This was in the time of McCarthyism, so he likely joined because it protected him from ever being accused of being a communist; an instant movie industry blacklist at the time. In fact, over the course of his life, he donated to several Jewish organizations such as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum and The American League for a Free Palestine. In 1955, he was voted man of the year by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills. While there were some Jewish stereotypes in his early animations, he ended up stereotyping every ethnic group, oftentimes when it was politically "required" to protect his career.

On-topic: As far as the anti-gay sentiments from Chick-fil-a's owner, it won't affect my purchase habits. In the end, this is true for any viewpoint from any company's head/spokesperson. There are plenty of anti-gay protesters that use Gmail to organize their protests, for example. Most people just can't be bothered to change their consumption patterns based on a viewpoint from the owner. I think it'll mostly blow over.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
goldenjester said:
Casual Shinji said:

Off-topic for just a moment: Walt Disney didn't hate jews. This myth stems from his involvement with the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, which was an anti-communist and anti-semite organization. This was in the time of McCarthyism, so he likely joined because it protected him from ever being accused of being a communist; an instant movie industry blacklist at the time. In fact, over the course of his life, he donated to several Jewish organizations such as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum and The American League for a Free Palestine. In 1955, he was voted man of the year by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills. While there were some Jewish stereotypes in his early animations, he ended up stereotyping every ethnic group, oftentimes when it was politically "required" to protect his career.
No shit, I didn't know that. But then most cartoons were racist back then. Looney Tunes and Tin Tin weren't too shy about it neither.
Suki_ said:
They always look like cosplayers to me on their way to a convention.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Mick Golden Blood said:
newdarkcloud said:
Mick Golden Blood said:
omicron1 said:
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Seriously this.

I mean, you should be buying shit from this guy's company cus you life the food it serves.

His opinion on a controversial issue shouldn't determine whether or not you eat from certain restaurants. Jebus guys...
That's capitalism. If you dislike a company for any reason, you have the right to refuse to use their products/services and avoid giving them money.
It's a perfectly legitimate tactic. That's how the system works.
I am not saying it is not, I am saying it seems like a really shitty reason TO boycott him just because of his views.

And not because of something more important, like how unsanitary his food might be, or something like that.
That may seem like a shitty reason to you, but to others it isn't. There are tons of people who are either gay or have a friend/relative who is and wants to support them in the fight for equality. To those people, boycotting an establishment with opposing views (and one who gives money to organizations for the sole purpose of furthering those views) is the best and easiest way to protest. To them, $1 that Chick-Fil-A doesn't get is one that nti-gay rights advocates are denied.

When you get into whether or not a single reason is legitimate enough, that's far too subjective and can't really be proven. Ergo, any reason to boycott/protest is a valid reason to, especially one that affects people as much as this one does.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
I heard about this awhile back, and I think my views on it still stand: I am completely unwilling to support this establishment, even if the closest one is only 345 miles from my area (ok, only 344.98). In all seriousness, though, were this something that wasn't easy for me to boycott (really, I'm not driving out of state for a fast food sandwich when there are plenty in state), I'd probably lean on the side of "well, how bad is the damage?" After the whole Shadow Complex deal (I heard about it after I played the game on a friend's console), I still wanted to get the game for myself. It wasn't that I hate gay people, gay rights, or any of that, I just really liked the game, and thought that the developers deserved the funds they got, even if some portion went to Orson Scott Card.

This is my problem when doing the good ol' vote-with-your-wallet: does association to a thing that, in your opinion, sucks (like gaybashing assholes) mean you need to drop all funding to a thing you really like (metroidvania with a goo gun)? This works with EA, Activision, Blizzard, etc. too. Does buying a videogame from EA mean you hate consumers? Probably not, but by buying it, EA gains more funds to deliver more bad experiences to more people. On the flip side, by not buying that game, you are telling EA (and any other publisher who pays attention to numbers) that you are disinterested in that kind of game; causing them, in turn, to not publish similar titles.

To wheel this back in a more on-topic direction: it seems like it would be a good plan to think about what happens when you boycott, and if that result is worth it. If, by boycotting Chick-fil-a, companies wishing to start a chicken restaurant in your area would be discouraged from doing so, would that be worth potentially preventing anti-gay organizations from receiving funding (as someone pointed out earlier, the organizations that Chick-fil-a donates to are Christian, not explicitly anti-gay)? For me, even if this restaurant were in my area, it would be worth it. There are more benefits not having fast food restaurants around, for me, than having them. Is this hypocritically picking-and-choosing? Yeah, sure, but as someone else pointed out earlier, you're not going to consume anything ever if you don't pick and choose a little hypocritically. Maybe that $.50 from every video game purchase going to Sir Douchington McGaybasher is worth it, but purchasing Hypotheticals from Hypotheticus 'R Us, who has 10% of annual profits going to the Hypothetical Anti-Gay Coalition, isn't.

Sorry for the long post, I just think this topic has a philosophical rabbit hole that goes pretty deep.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
He's not breaking any laws, though I do wish it was illegal for companies to fund political parties.

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
Andropov4 said:
I suppose I should elaborate. I meant that people who base their political decisions entirely (100%) on their religious doctrine without even considering what's moral to them personally should not be able to vote. And, in my and many other people's opinion, the anti-gay stance is a stance that is immoral. And, like I said, all that I see who oppose gay marriage are people either following a religious doctrine, homophobic, or often both. I just can't grasp the concept of a person who honestly believes opposing gay rights is the moral thing to do. I guess I simply think differently.

I remember, for the longest time (back when I was still under the Christian faith), I used to think that gay marriage was wrong. It wasn't until I actually thought for myself and looked at what was really going on that I changed that view. It is the biblical view on gay marriage being immoral that really sickens me, but that's another story.

And while he didn't explicitly state, "Boy, do I hate those queer fag assfuckers." I still find that the fact he openly supports anti-gay religious groups and lobbyists with the money that likely mostly comes from his customers and investors is a horrible thing. But then, at least I can be happy with the fact that I never enjoyed Chik-fil-a (I've eaten there once in my life, years ago) so I don't have to feel guilty about it.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I don't care, i still just wish the closest Chick-fil-a wasnt 56 miles from where I live >.>
I could care less about what they believe in, theres is a small margin of care which could be less, but how much i care is still pretty low.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
At the end of the day his opinions are his own and at least he has the guts to be open about them. I dont agree with his opinions (Im in favour letting people marry who they will) but they are just as valid as mine. He has earned his money honestly and if he chooses to use it to support causes he believes in thats his choice and his right.
Equally if someone feels that they dont want to eat there anymore as a result of this then thats up to them, but trying to organise some kind of boycott because of the owners personal beliefs is tantamount to persicution. If people boycotted a restaurant chain because the owner was pro-gay marriage there would be outrage.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly I doubt a boycott will change this mans stance at all but it will send fear to other company owners which would simply drive their views and weather they give to anti-gay marriage causes underground causing little change in the broader scope.

I disagree with his stance but I admire his honesty and his transparency which allows people who disagree with his stance the opportunity not to patronize his establishments which I find honorable. He knew the cost of what he admitted and I'm sure he was prepared and is most likely receiving plenty of increased business from the people that support his cause.

Saying its wrong to boycott him is wrong. Its everyone's personal decision.

IMO hating him for his views is still hate and can perpetuate hate on both sides of the issue so I urge caution before people decide on how they want to address him personally.

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
omicron1 said:
Dragonclaw said:
omicron1 said:

It may not be wrong to hold views like his, but neither is it wrong to decide not to support someone who's views differ so sharply from mine, and who makes it clear that large portions of any money given to him will be used for a cause I cannot support. As a business owner I CHOSE to carry books like Earth-2, Life With Archie and Astonishing X-Men with their gay story lines...some customers voted with their wallet and went elsewhere those weeks out of protest and that's their right. Meanwhile I also got some new customers, as I'm sure Chick Fil A will lose some patrons, but also get some new ones because of their views.

As for me, I like knowing where my money goes, it's impoortant to me. To that end I prefer to shop locally and at smaller mom & pop stores whenever I can because I know that the money will stay local helping my community. Just like online shopping is my absolute last resort because it takes away from the area I live in.
So, that Oreo boycott and all the Million Moms stuff is A-OK with you, right?
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Now usually I'd agree on the 'let them have their opinion' thing but this person's opinion is wrong so we can't let them keep it. Seriously, these Christian family value ideas that get mixed with homophobia are unacceptable and shouldn't be passed on any further so we can actually progress.

omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them.
It is, it's very wrong. You don't necessarily have to like homosexuality but you can't go around enforcing discrimination against gays.
And by "discrimination" you mean "lack of public agreement, not voting for "civil rights" you disagree with, and not wanting your kids indoctrinated by "being gay is a-ok" rhetoric in school?
There is no anti-gay discrimination here. You have manufactured what you perceive as a civil right (the "right" for gays to marry, and by extension for all public entities to be forced to consider said marriage valid) and are outraged that anyone would have the audacity to speak against that "right." It's roughly analogous to PETA deciding to campaign to give all horses voting rights - no matter how much PETA may think it's normal, not everyone agrees (in this case, fully half the nation, despite the unrelenting one-sided media barrage) and PETA has no right to enforce their "right" on the rest of us.
You really need to learn logical argument my friend. Having and opinion is not bigotry, discriminating against people based on something which really says nothing about how good that person is, is. Voting horses and gay marriage are not equivalent.

What gay people have a right too is the same legal structure for their partnerships I don't think anyone believes that the law can change what God perceives as right but if God hates them then they wont have been married in his eyes so it doesn't matter if they do. It's the legal classification which is a problem there are different tax inheritance laws etc which come from being married which gay people are not allowed.

averydeeadaccount

Aug 12, 2011
mathsisfun said:
this person's opinion is wrong
by definition, an opinion cannot be wrong, it can only be different.

boycotting someone because they are against gay marriage is no different to boycotting someone who is for gay marriage. whether or not boycotting is wrong is a matter of opinion, but you cannot argue that it depends on whether you disagree with the person being boycotted, because your opinions are not central to morality.
if you have the right to boycott him because of his political views, then he has the right to boycott others because of their political views, and only hire people who are against gay marriage.
since he, as the owner of a large company, does not have the right to discriminate on employees based on their political views, what right do you have to discriminate against him because of his opinions.
You clearly have no idea how discrimination laws work or you wouldn't have made that crappy argument. He legally cannot discriminate against homosexuals or political stances in the workplace. He can say that he doesn't agree with gay marriage but he can't do jack shit about it after he's made his opinion.
that was my point. i understand how discrimination laws work, what i'm saying is that i disagree with them. if he as an employer cannot legally discriminate against gays, why should you as a customer be able to discriminate against homophobes. if you look at it as an outside observer, people cannot discriminate against people pro-gays because of their beliefs, but the can discriminate against people anti-gay based on their beliefs. its a double standard.

Also, this guys making a homophobic statement based on age old religious views, eventually his opinion will be proved conclusively wrong.

Here are some common opinions that have been wrong:
1. The world is flat
2. Right wing > left wing
3. Any opinion on religion that isn't "it's fucking ridiculous"
4. I am not the objective idol this world needs to guide it to progress and glory
5. I have been wrong before
6. Opinions cannot be wrong
7. The big particle collidor-majig was going to create a black hole
8. The world will end in 2012
to answer you so called wrong opinions:
1. thats not an opinion, thats a statement. statements can be objectively wrong.
2. thats an opinion, and it is not wrong. everyone who is right wing believes the right wing to be better, in their opinion. just because you disagree does not change that.
3. since by process of elimination you clearly believe the only correct opinion to be "its fucking ridiculous", you clearly disagree with the opinions of everyone who has any religion at all. despite this, the majority of the world continues to have those opinions, because no amount of ridicule can stop them being true.
4. what? youre saying you are the objective idol the world needs to guide it to progress and glory? i thought you said religion is fucking ridiculous. i see you have a double standard about religion too. that it doesn't apply to youre religion.
5.by saying "i have been wrong before" is an incorrect opinion, you are saying that all my statements about your previous statements are just incorrect opinions. to disprove this, simply read my statements about your earlier incorrect statements about opinions you believe to be incorrect.
6.now you are stating that the objective truth that opinions cannot be wrong is itself an incorrect opinion. the obvious reply would be the circular one, where i argue that your statement must be wrong because my opinion cannot be wrong, but instead ill just point you to #5.
7. that was a statement. i agree with you here, it was wrong.
8. see #7.