Poll: Choices: Friend or Lover

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I suggest sticking with the friend. You can find a new lover, hump and dump one every other month (or withdraw when things get too serious), but a real good friend is almost impossible to find once you're an adult.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Stay in Sweden, but not because of your friend (who sounds like a bit of a nutjob). You have very little time with this person in France, and now you want to move to France to get into a relationship? Not a good idea.

Hooking up, swapping spit, getting laid, that's all good, but you need to think about the long run. I'm going to be honest and blunt:

You don't know shit about this person in France. The move is not well-advised because doing anything on emotion is terrible. Don't get me wrong, emotion is wonderful and powerful and moves us to great action, but emotion is fleeting and is not permanent. Love, (true love) is a choice that often has to be made on a daily basis. You have strong and powerful emotions for someone that you barely know.

Don't move, it's a bad idea.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
holy_secret said:
I was away on a eurotrip for two months. During the last parts of it, I decided to stay in Paris for the whole month of August.
On the forth day, I met someone. We instantly connected and fell in love immediately.

As time went on, we started to see where this was going. There was a huge obstacle in the way though; I live in Sweden, and he in France.

To make things short, I want to move there in order to give this a shot. A real one. I am not too keen on having a long distance relationship, so that is not an option.

I talked to my closest friend in Sweden about this. After explaining everything, I asked him if it was okay for him that I moved away.

"If you want to move, I will not stop you. It is your life and I want you to do your things. But I am going to be honest with you and say that if you do move, our friendship will change. If things do not work out and you decide to come back, things will not be the same. I don't want to put any pressure on you or to lie to you. I will try my best, but I can't promise we can return to where we were. The thought of losing you is already making me wanting to create a distance in order to be able to survive not having you around."

So I have a choice. An extremly hard one. It is not a choice I have to make yet, but it will show up eventually.
I truly don't know what to do with this. Should I take the shot? Should I move away? Or should I simply stay in Sweden and keep my closest friend? Am I a bad person for even considering abandoning my family in order to be with someone I just met?

I need some input. I need a brainstorm. I would talk to him about this, but he is really not taking this well. If you have any honest opinions, cruel or friendly, I am willing to hear them.

So what will it be? Relationship or Friendship? What is more important in the long run?
A true friend wouldn't try and guilt trip you for wanting to move away like that. My best friend from home, for example, was fine with my decision to move away. We don't see each other or talk nearly as often as we used to, but when we meet up it's like I never left, you just pick up straight from where you left off. If your friendship isn't going to be like that, I hate to say it but I guess he wasn't so great a friend to begin with.

As for moving to France for this relationship, think long and hard. If you haven't known the guy for that long then you could fall flat on your face if everything falls through and you aren't the people you thought you were.

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
Life is not like Disney. It's a shame but in reality a friend will definitely stick by you where as a lover has incredible power to betray your trust.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Do whats best for you. The worst thing in life is regret. So go to France and see what happens, give it a chance. If it works, fine, be happy. If it ends then you can go back to Sweden without regrets and carry on with your life. As for the friend, if he is a true friend then he will stick with you, can both talk on the phone, email etc etc. But you have to live life for yourself, not for your friends. I have had way to many regrets in my life putting friends first and all im doing is short changing myself.

Short version. Take a chance, go to France, see where the romance leads. Could be future happeniss, could end. Either way you will not be regretting it years from now. As for your friend, he would accept and support your choice regardless of what you do. An should be happy you have found love and should want you to follow your heart. Other wise he is a selfish arsehole.

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
As i wouldn't dare to suggest one or the other (therefore didn't vote)

I'll just try to make a brief summary of my experience in that regard.
I have a long-distance relationship since 4 years (1000km- so in comparison "just" a 10h-drive to get to my girl) - it already startet off as one, and is/was just amazing from start till now. (of course having to repeadetly leave the other for months is very tough-and really gets harder each year- but the good outweighs the bad by far)

I really couldn't bring myself to move thus far - and i thought that never being together for much longer than 1month might be deceptive how well we'd get along in the long run.
So i was able to move into her flat(40m²-small for 2 but just enough-for limited time anyway)
and managed to get a job for 6month there (limited duration), in the end staying 8.
That really helped to kind of make sure,that we get along as great when we're stocked with each other for a longer period of time (although even 8months are not really long for that - say help to determine a major step in life - but it still can become an eye-opener in 1way or the other - as there also is just a very different mindset involved as opposed to being on vacation)

We've got along great. But it also was without the pressure of knowing I already moved there permanently...knowing that according to plan I'd go back to Austria no matter how good it works out-
and that really takes away pressure from the relationship during that "living together-test-run" - which was good for me(us).
And i've made up my mind that i want to move to her one day (Not yet, because I still have to adjust my "career" accordingly in a way - because I really want to avoid- even subconscioussly- that i might deep down blame her one day,that I too much sacrifised work-related Ambitions to be with her.

I know I got extremely lucky in more than a couple ways - but I guess if there's any chance to sort of "give it a try" without having the weight of already having permanetly moved across Europe away from family'n'friends resting heavily on the relationship - It should be examined and taken! (but again...circumstances kinda were in my favor...also germany and austria is really only divided in mentality/not language - and not nearly as far apart geographically, of course)

It's good that your friend tries to be completely honest - as it doesn't make your decision any easier,of course...it also really shouldn't - It's an extremely tough decision after all, for which i certainly don't envy you.
(and friendships will change...but they also can persist in a still good way, i'm sure - or that's what I keep telling myself,anyway ;))

Also I'd like to add that I completely understand you not wanting a long-distance relationship. (for it's hard enough even if the whole relationship started-off as long-distance)

Hope my "essay" here helps a little for brainstorming.

Best of Luck

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Moving on a whim such as "I just met the guy" is too much of a risky move, in my opinion. Moving in with your partner of X number of months is already a big deal, but to move country on the off-chance you could start a relationship with someone you only just met seems incredibly ill-advised. It seems like you haven't given it much consideration and i would strongly recommend you weigh the pros and cons of making a life changing decision like immigrating on more than just "French lover or Swedish friend".

On the other hand, the friend doesn't sound like much of a friend if he feels he has to 'distance himself from you' rather than be supportive. He sounds a tad selfish and dare i say melodramatic. I wouldn't stay just for his sake if that's all that's keeping you.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
DoW Lowen said:
Just off-topic, sell this idea to a studio or something, I can see this being a strong title for a summer rom com.
Off Topic:I'm sure that they've already made something like it. :3

On Topic:Love is a fickle thing my dear. I can't judge how a potential relationship between yourself and this french man will go, but I can say it's an incredibly insane risk. A risk that doesn't seem worth taking unless there are some other incentives.

This isn't just a debate of friendship and potential love, this is you moving away from your home. The move would drastically change your life. So, I think you should consider things like, a job/education, living space, cost of the move, and plenty of other factors that would be affected by your choice to move. Although it might be viewed as pessimistic I think if you do move it'd be nice to have some sort of a backup in case the relationship doesn't work out. Is the risk and planning really worth it?

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of moving and changing my entire life for a person I've just met no matter how strong I felt. Friends can last a lifetime, but love is forever fleeting.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Mackheath said:
No offence, but holiday romances-even for ones as long as a month or so- are very different from ones where you are around constantly.

I've seen people fall victim to the same premise; they meet someone abroad, fall in love, and when they end up with them they find the 'spark' is long since gone, or their abroad lover already has a family, or a myriad of other things.

I will be blunt; I think you are a bit startstruck. But eh, its your life; I've got no fuckin' right to criticise, so if you want to move, go ahead. If you want to stay, go ahead, find a nice Swedish guy/girl to settle down with.
I too have seen this. Sadly there is a lot of times it doesn't work out. It is your life and your mate is right things would change. I've had mates leave for things like this or other reasons and I know I will never be able to just pick up how we were. So if you do go you are taking a big risk. Best of luck in your decision.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well tis is difficult, I have some questions though, how long do you know this friend, are they like you best friend or just a plain friend, well what so ever, if they are a true friend they will not care about the option you do.

and if this lover of yours would of done the same for you if it was him and not you in this position, he is good as well.

If you ask me, friendship and love last forever, so all im trying to say is, go with the lover and your friend will understand.

Well thats what I would do, but hey, what do I know, im the guys who likes his best friend's sister.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
holy_secret said:
I think your friend is being rather selfish. It isn't the job of a friend to hold you back from what you want to do for the sake of "holding together the friendship." It's the job of a friend to support you in the decisions you make, and help make it work as best they can. I mean, what if you were just going to school in France or something? Would they expect you to stay back then? What if you got a great job out of the country? You can't stay at home forever. This is your decision to make, and if that's too hard for him, I'm afraid that's his problem. Just make sure he knows you're willing to make it work, but he has to be willing as well in order for that to happen.

Soveru

Jul 12, 2010
?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.? - Mark Twain.

Thou shalt not question Mark Twain. Move to France.

Or make him move to Sweden

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
try long-distance. it sounds bad, but if you can make that work then consider moving. dont lose your friends over this guy. it couldve just been because you were on holiday.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Stick with visits and stay where you are for the time being. You can never know how long this relationship will last, you haven't known this person anywhere near long enough to make that kind of move. It will suck, I've been in a long distance relationship for a while and although we are together now, it sucked while it was going on. When/if the move becomes worth it, you won't be asking this question anymore.

Visit France every once in a while and have him visit Sweden. I don't know how the EU works, but it might be very very hard to make it a forever thing anyway. My sister is married to a guy out of the country and has been for two years now. They still can't get him into Canada legally yet. They live in Adu Dhabi for now because it's one of the only places they can both be legally(fortunately my Sister is a teacher and English teachers are needed all over the world. He has managed a work visa for her time there teaching). I've only ever seen pictures of him and talked on the phone. It's really awful and difficult. From a family perspective - my sister hasn't been anywhere near her home area except for short visits in a few years. Relationships are hard enough when conditions are ideal. This kind of stress is huge.

Get to know him for at least a year before uprooting your whole life.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
try long-distance. it sounds bad, but if you can make that work then consider moving. dont lose your friends over this guy. it couldve just been because you were on holiday.
I rather die than to do that. Seriously. Done it once and I went completely crazy from the lack of intimacy.

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
Move. Be happy. Even if thing's dont work out at least you were daring!

Besides things never stay the same for ever. Change makes life worth living!

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
intheweeds said:
Stick with visits and stay where you are for the time being. You can never know how long this relationship will last, you haven't known this person anywhere near long enough to make that kind of move. It will suck, I've been in a long distance relationship for a while and although we are together now, it sucked while it was going on. When/if the move becomes worth it, you won't be asking this question anymore.

Visit France every once in a while and have him visit Sweden. I don't know how the EU works, but it might be very very hard to make it a forever thing anyway. My sister is married to a guy out of the country and has been for two years now. They still can't get him into Canada legally yet. They live in Adu Dhabi for now because it's one of the only places they can both be legally(fortunately my Sister is a teacher and English teachers are needed all over the world. He has managed a work visa for her time there teaching). I've only ever seen pictures of him and talked on the phone. It's really awful and difficult. From a family perspective - my sister hasn't been anywhere near her home area except for short visits in a few years. Relationships are hard enough when conditions are ideal. This kind of stress is huge.

Moving around within the European Union is as easy as moving to a neighboring city in Sweden. No need for getting permission and shit.

And Ryanair revolutionized traveling. I flew there for 15? from Sweden. It is ridiculously cheap.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
holy_secret said:
intheweeds said:

Moving around within the European Union is as easy as moving to a neighboring city in Sweden. No need for getting permission and shit.

And Ryanair revolutionized traveling. I flew there for 15? from Sweden. It is ridiculously cheap.
Wow! If that's the case, then I say even harder: stay home and plan visits! If you can visit him for far less than the cost of a video game, then this stops seeming so 'long-distance' to me and I fail to see the issue. Damn, it costs me more to take the train to see my mom and she lives in the same province as me!

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
intheweeds said:
holy_secret said:
intheweeds said:

Wow! If that's the case, then I say even harder: stay home and plan visits! If you can visit him for far less than the cost of a video game, then this stops seeming so 'long-distance' to me and I fail to see the issue. Damn, it costs me more to take the train to see my mom and she lives in the same province as me!
The point is not the cost. The problem is the fact that I do not want a long distance relationship. I do not want to have to plans visits every now and then. I want to be able to be around the corner and casually ask "hey, wanna hang around today?". I want to be able to let it grow naturally. Having to plan grandious meeting is the opposite of what I want.