Poll: Coke vs. Pepsi: Revelations

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I've done a blind taste test between the two, I easily could tell the difference between the two. No matter what, I'll always prefer Coca Cola. Pepsi by itself is not as good for me. However, mixing Pepsi with Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pib has amazing results.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diet Coke.

I can tell the difference between the two (Pepsi tastes more...I don't know, lemony to me) and between diet and regular.

I used to drink whatever was cheaper (which was often store brand), but I drak a lot of Pepsi when I was really sick and I associate it with that now.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I dislike overly sugary flavors. And any kind of Pepsi, diet or regular, just tastes like watered-down sugar to me. So does every variety of sugar-free Coke, thanks to the artificial sweeteners that are crammed in.

That leaves plain ol' Coke, which contains so much genuine, diabetes- and obesity-inducing sugar it's a wonder they're even able to keep it liquid. The taste, on the other hand, is uniquely rounded and balanced, and doesn't FEEL sugary to me at all.

Thus, Coke is the only stuff I drink regularly.

Yeah, I can taste the irony. But at least I can't taste the sugar!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Original Coke is the greatest drink ever made.

Diet Vanilla Coke is the greatest diet drink ever made.

Pepsi Max is, however, what I drink 95% of the time.

Regular diet Coke isn't to my taste and neither is Coke Zero. Given that I am fully aware of how unhealthy real Coca Cola is, I drink diet soft-drink most of the time. I would drink Diet Vanilla Coke for the rest of my life, except that you can almost never find in Australia - there is ONE store in my local area that stocks it, and I have never found it anywhere else.

As a result, I usually drink Pepsi Max, which I like a lot as well.

As for being able to tell the difference - absolutely I can. When I was still in highschool my social science teacher thought no one could and subjected us to a taste challenge. I could tell the difference every single time between Pepsi and Coke and all the diet variations. There IS a difference and if you regularly drink cola drinks, it's a BIG difference.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Of those, regular coke is the best tasting.

Dr. Pepper is nicer than any of those options though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I prefer Pepsi; Coke is a bit too "sharp" for my tastes, though I'll still take if it I'm at a restaurant or something.

And I have never, ever had a diet soda of any kind that didn't leave a horrible chemical-like aftertaste.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Not sure about #1 since it's been awhile since I've had full sugar soda. As for #2 I used to be in agreement with most of the people here about how nasty diet soda is but since I've started drinking it instead of regular it has honestly started to taste very similar except now regular soda has a very sugary taste to it.

Korolev said:
This is truth.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
1. All cola without specific other flavours and which is sweetened with just sugar tastes the same to me.

2. I can definitely taste the weird after-taste of artificial sweeteners. I don't think it's that bad, but I do think it's pointless. If you're going to be drinking something sweet, you might as well get something out of it, so I opt for sugar.

psijac

$20 a year for this message
Nov 20, 2008
Mezahmay said:
So last night I was having dinner with more of the family than usual and the after dinner discussion migrated a lot to many tangents. At one point I compared two very similar things to the point of being indistinguishable as being Coke and Pepsi. My cousin took offense to this and told me there's a huge difference between Coke and Pepsi. I have never once been able to tell the difference between the two. They're both just brown cola flavored to me. Apparently I'm even weirder to them because I cannot taste the difference between diet and regular either. I've done side-by-side comparisons in the past and I cannot detect a hint of difference between any of them.

So my question to the Escapist forum is twofold:

1. Can you taste the difference between regular Coke and regular Pepsi?

2. Can you taste the difference between diet and regular versions of the same cola brand?

Edit: Turns out polls don't like apostrophes. Option 5 says you also can't taste a difference and option 6 says you don't drink any of them so you have no opinion one way or the other. Nvm. The edit finally came through.
Some people are colorblind. Just because your subjective experience can't match up with someone else doesn't change the reality that you both co-inhabit. Although your cousin should probably hear this too.

Taste is a powerful memory trigger. You are not only drinking sugary soda water. you are drinking all good memories associated with it via other times you drank it

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Having been drinking soft drinks like a fish for the past hrm hrm hrm years, I can distinguish Coke from Pepsi, preferring Coke.

In Coke, I will choose diet over regular. Not that zero crap. That's nasty. It's like it's trying to be Coke but it's just failing horribly. Diet Coke is its own thing. It's not pretending to be anything.

I know, I know. It tastes like bitterness and cancer and premature death but I like that.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I can very much taste the difference between coke and pepsi and I have yet to find a coke product that tastes better than it's pepsi counter-part. I know this is not the popular opinion, but i think you coke lovers are brand-blind. Yeah, I said it.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
psijac said:
Some people are colorblind. Just because your subjective experience can't match up with someone else doesn't change the reality that you both co-inhabit. Although your cousin should probably hear this too.
While the shared reality is ultimately unaltered, it still resulted in the cognitive dissonance of my perception of brown cola drinks, specifically Coke and Pepsi, being challenged. Hence this poll and silly off-topic discussion post. So far my sentiments are shared by 10 other individuals who filled out the poll, which is slightly more than I initially thought there would be.
Taste is a powerful memory trigger. You are not only drinking sugary soda water. you are drinking all good memories associated with it via other times you drank it
I don't feel as though I typically experience memory triggering when consuming soft drinks. My mind is usually busy actively working on something other task, like homework, a video game, etc. I suppose sensory input does not have to produce a memory as vivid as a flashback to be considered triggered. After all, my perception of this beverage has formed over many past iterations of this sensory input and the surrounding environment regardless of the specific taste.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Yes and Yes; I can taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi, diet and not. Personally I prefer the Coke to Pepsi since the later has a sort of after-taste that I don't really care for. I would drink one or the other if I had to but when it comes to Diet, I simply refuse to drink that. Like with Pepsi, diet sodas have a weird after-taste to them that I just can't stand. Vanilla Coke is my favorite but it's hard to come by for some reason...at least they still make it though, unlike Coke Black which was my all-time favorite coke product.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Korolev said:
Original Coke is the greatest drink ever made.

Pepsi Max is, however, what I drink 95% of the time.

Regular diet Coke isn't to my taste and neither is Coke Zero. Given that I am fully aware of how unhealthy real Coca Cola is, I drink diet soft-drink most of the time. I would drink Diet Vanilla Coke for the rest of my life, except that you can almost never find in Australia - there is ONE store in my local area that stocks it, and I have never found it anywhere else.

As a result, I usually drink Pepsi Max, which I like a lot as well.

As for being able to tell the difference - absolutely I can. When I was still in highschool my social science teacher thought no one could and subjected us to a taste challenge. I could tell the difference every single time between Pepsi and Coke and all the diet variations. There IS a difference and if you regularly drink cola drinks, it's a BIG difference.
Ah, but are you aware of how unhealthy the diet versions of sodas are? There is increasing evidence out there that shows they are at least as unhealthy as real soda.

Including weight gain, risk of diabetes, and other fun stuff. I suppose they are probably less bad for your teeth, but any drink isn't that bad for your teeth since it simply flows over them and down your throat.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Regular coke is the best. I can definitely taste a difference.
Pepsi and diet pepsi are okay but I'd not seek them out. Diet coke though is something to avoid. It tastes absolutely horrible.

So to answer your questions, i can tell a very noticeable difference in all 4 drinks, and coke is by far the best.
Vanilla coke is even better though.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I can tell Coke and Pepsi apart, but I have a hard time telling Pepsi apart from pretty much any generic (or less well known cola brand)

As for diet coke, that stuff is VILE. Like, seriously disgusting. But that's not surprising, because to me, so is anything else made with artificial sweeteners.
I can tell immediately if something has artificial sweetener in it, even if it also has sugar in it.

Personally, I prefer Cherry Coke, but I can't get that here in Australia.

(I also notice that you sometimes find Cherry coke imported from America, while I'm used to the kind sold in the UK. They taste similar, but the sweetness in the American one is slightly more sickly. - You might ask, what's the difference? Well, coke sold in Australia, the UK, and generally in Europe, is made with Cane or Beet sugar, while the American stuff is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup. The difference between those two isn't super-strong, but it is noticeable...)

As to artificial sweeteners, I find most of them have a bitter taste, and on top of that, they have an aftertaste that lasts quite a while...

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
OT: I can taste a difference between Pepsi and Coke. Pepsi has a much sweeter taste to me, and I feel like Diet sodas are always taste a little bit flat.