Poll: Colour or Color?

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I choose charizard because that's the closest i could find to other.
I'm told that I pronounce it like Keller. Like the Helen kind. I can't hear the difference.

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
AjimboB said:
I spell it color, because I write like a goddamn man!

JK.

Seriously though, I spell it "color," just out of habit, and because spell check highlights "colour" as incorrect.
Your harmless jokes fill me with rage!

[HEADING=1]
KIKOUSHOU!​
[/HEADING]
OT: Colour, because it has more letters, so it's automagically better.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Ugh. May have well just made a poll asking "where do you live?" with two options:

-USA.
-Somewhere else.

Would get the same results. Color is spelled by Americans, Colour is spelled by everyone else.

Fun fact: Australians pronounce it "cull-a" due to their inability to pronounce the r on the end of words. Water is "war-ta" runner is "run-ah" and colour is "cull-a".

Funner fact: Singer in Australian would be "sing-ah", however here in Manchester in England it would be "sin-ga". WOOOOOW

holy fuck im tired.

InsaneOne10

Feb 9, 2010
AHHHH! AHHHH! MULTIPLE SPELLINGS! AHHHH!

Either way, it's colour because color looks weird (and also because I live in Canada, but that's not important).

How about we just change it to kuller? Then we kan spell everything fonetikly. Or not...

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Kortney said:
Fun fact: Australians pronounce it "cull-a" due to their inability to pronounce the r on the end of words.
Heeeeeey. You ninjad my response. Now how am i supposed to dazzle people with my inability to pronounce r's.

capnpupster

Jul 15, 2008
Color, 'cause I'm American.
I heard that the extra "u"s and other letters in British English came from French influence anyway. Is that even true?

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
This is kind of a dumb question.

It's with a "u" in some parts of the world and without a "u" in others.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
ottenni said:
Kortney said:
Fun fact: Australians pronounce it "cull-a" due to their inability to pronounce the r on the end of words.
Heeeeeey. You ninjad my response. Now how am i supposed to dazzle people with my inability to pronounce r's.
Haha, I'm sorry :). How about I pretend I never knew that you couldn't pronounce an r, then you can say a word and not pronounce the r and I'll be really impressed!

Then everyone will pick you up and carry you down the street and you'll be back!

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Colour, but when I do game-specific coding, 'color' comes up alot and 'colour' only came up once.

Also, put one more fucking Charizard option in a poll and you're on my block list.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Kortney said:
Nah thats okay. Ill just amaze everyone by changing their name into strange this like Davo and Cazza.

But you can still carry me down the street if you like.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
It's not just colour British colonies chuck a 'U' in, is it? Favour and honour are two more, surely there is even more?

ottenni said:
But you can still carry me down the street if you like.
Done deal!

Crimson King

May 16, 2009
I spell it "colour" just to confuse people and just because it seems cooler to do. When I was in english class and we did peer editing people would think that it was a spelling error and they'd mark me down for it, and I would act offended.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Color, because spelling it "colour", in Florida, is grounds for being run out of town by the local queer-beaters

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
As a Canadian, I use "colour". Spellcheck can get bent.

I'll also note that spelling only started being standardized a couple of centuries ago, and sometimes the most ridiculous versions are chosen. I got to talk with the editor of the Canadian Oxford English Dictionary once, and she thought when they were picking which spelling of "porpoise" to use, they must have pinned all the options to a dartboard and let fly.

Najos said:
The reason it is spelled "color" instead of "colour" in the States is because in the early 1900's there was this movement to make English easier to understand and write. I forget all the details, but we basically took all of the U's out of any OU words and some other things before giving up altogether. I think Roosevelt was behind it, which is kind of ironic.

Edit: Found an article on it.
http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/qt/trspelling.htm
You're incorrect: American spellings were pioneered by Noah Webster, lexicographer of the first American English dictionary--yes, that Webster's Dictionary. Webster was a supporter and beneficiary of the American Revolution and wanted to "Americanize" the spelling of words [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster#Blue_Backed_Speller] to differentiate them from the spellings of decadent and corrupt English aristocrats. Since Webster was hugely influential on early American dictionaries and early American schools, he got his way.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
I'm British so I spell it colour. It's British English, not English English, and not to mention English also developed in the lowlands of Scotland too. Really should be called Lesserbritish. He he.

Well I'll be damned, the Wikipedia page is edited. It used to have a nicely quotable bit. :sadface:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#History