Poll: Condiments

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Hello, Escapists. I'm eating a sandwich. It is delicious. I got mustard on my hand, and thought of the brilliant idea to ask what everyone's favorite sandwich or hotdog or whatever condiments are.

My favorite condiment used to be mayonnaise, but recently I've been on a mustard kick. It's really weird, considering before a few months ago I had never actually tried mustard for almost all of my life. There are no really common sandwich condiments I really dislike, however.

Explain to me with a 6-7 page essay on why your favorite condiment is your favorite condiment...OR ELSE.

[sub]nah jk[/sub]

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
It depends... What's the condiment going on?

Hotdog? Mustard and relish, with sauerkraut and onions.
Hamburger? Ketchup, mustard and mayo.
Roast beef? Sriracha and ranch.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Uh ... does Aioli count?
That stuff can be used as Heavenly sauce!

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Either Sriracha or Sriracha mayonnaise go on most of the foods I eat. I'd eat more harissa except I can't find an inexpensive source and I don't want to make it myself.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
It depends, and rather enormously at that. You wouldn't put ketchup on a Chicago-style hot dog; it's fine on the New York version. As a rule, the higher-grade, more finely flavored the food is, the less powerful a condiment it calls for. There are exceptions, though; garlic powder goes with everything. It does not make everything "better", though; only one thing does that, and that's fresh garlic. I'm serious- take few cloves, slice them up, and sprinkle it on any foodstuff you want, it'll make it taste better. Such is the power of fresh garlic that it even manages to improve other garlic. Try it some time. In addition to being delicious, it will ward off vampires, mosquitoes, and unwanted conversations for hours after consumption. What's not to like?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I personally like ranch dressing where applicable, like on hamburgers/cheeseburgers. On most cold sandwiches I like yellow mustard and mayo, or horse radish mustard, or Chinese hot mustard, since English tends not to clear my sinuses like Chinese. Though if I have wasabi on hand, actual wasabi, that goes on everything!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Salsa, preferably medium or above. (Mild sucks.) I have used it on a number of things, many of which you would normally put ketchup or mustard on, say. (I hate mayo.)

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
mayo will improve 9 outta 10 food stuffs but homus is great on a kebab.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sweet chili sauce is my lord and savior.

Mayo and chutney are angels of the heavenly choir.

Relish is the culinary prophet.

Ketchup is the devil who exists only to ruin otherwise tasty meals.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Come to Sweden! Enjoy the endless tubes of sandwich condiments that stock our shelves!
I like räkost(shrimp cheese), but mostly I just go with regular hard cheese on my breakfast foodz.

Kaviar is made from fish eggs and tomato paste btw. So fucking good!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Come to Sweden! Enjoy the endless tubes of sandwich condiments that stock our shelves!
I like räkost(shrimp cheese), but mostly I just go with regular hard cheese on my breakfast foodz.

Looks like squeezetube of putty.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
PaulH said:
DanielBrown said:

Looks like squeezetube of putty.
I kinda thought the same thing. It's really the sort of thing that screams: "Swedes eat weird stuff!"

Then again I live in the country that invented aerosol canned cheese, so that might a little hypocritical. Still it's the sort of thing that seems pretty handy if you want some extra flavors on your next condiment friendly food.

Captcha; change yourself, damnit captcha are you being fictitious, sarcastic, judgemental, or supportive of a trans person here? I can't tell!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Hotdog? Ketchup, mustard, and pickle relish.

Sandwich? Mustard and either horseradish sauce or mayo.

Hamburger? Mayo/Hot sauce, ketchup, mustard.

Any kind of bagged meat from Tyson? More ranch dressing than you can handle.

I love me some condiments!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I kinda thought the same thing. It's really the sort of thing that screams: "Swedes eat weird stuff!"

Then again I live in the country that invented aerosol canned cheese, so that might a little hypocritical. Still it's the sort of thing that seems pretty handy if you want some extra flavors on your next condiment friendly food.

Captcha; change yourself, damnit captcha are you being fictitious, sarcastic, judgemental, or supportive of a trans person here? I can't tell!
Yeah, you're all weird. *Goes off to eat an emu* :-/

Also, captchas. I think it's more that they are trying to emulate humans. They're learning ... but they have't quite gotten there yet.

Kristoffer Mattila

Mar 28, 2010
Uhh. The world sure is interesting. I've never even heard of people putting these things on sandwiches except for maybe mayo. I think I might have heard rumors.
Hell, I don't even know what hummus or relish is.

Anyway, I'll put my vote on kaviar or skagen. (Now, maybe YOU'll have to google stuff)