Poll: CoverGirl has a Star Wars line of Makeup. Marketing gone too far, or proof Star Wars is inclusive?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
No I'm not kidding, not even a little bit. This is a real thing: Star Wars Makeup Collection from CoverGirl [http://www.covergirl.com/cosmetics/starwars-collection]

I'm really kind of floored by this my self. Part of me says that it's marketing and consumerism gone way way too far. That it's a way to try to tap an untapped market, adult women. But then again I'm sure there are male Star Wars fans who love the franchise so much they'll buy anything with the logo, which makes it seem exploitative. But the fact that there is even a market for this kinda wows me. But my cynical side just says it's a cold emotionless cash grab by Disney, a company willing to slap a brand on anything, if they think it will sell.

The worst part is... I'm really really tempted to buy it my self, partly because there are some unique colors in the line, but also a lot because it's make up with a Star Wars logo on it. The sort of thing that makes me think: How awesome would it be to have that in my purse?

Also on a side note. This is not cosplay makeup it's a serious every day limited edition makeup line.

So what fellow escapists, what are your thoughts?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm not suprised really given to the amount of merchandise the franchise has got already. I just see it as them tapping into new areas and target given that women do like Star Wars too.

Oct 12, 2011
I can't say that I'm surprised. Movie studios are out to make money after all, and Disney is the grand master of selling anything and everything they can think of.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
So...there's Star Wars merchandising now? Yeah, that's not really news.
Well it's not that it's Star Wars merchandising, so much as what it's being applied to. Toys are a given, even clothing like t-shirts, kid's bed spreads are another given. But on cosmetics? Star Wars branded makeup? That's the part that surprised me.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
If I'm honest the first thing that popped into my head was baffling. And then the notion that as merchandising whores go, Star Wars is nothing if not willing to spread the love around. The only franchise I think is even less discriminatory about the depths it is willing to plumb is Evangelion.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
If I'm honest the first thing that popped into my head was baffling. And then the notion that as merchandising whores go, Star Wars is nothing if not willing to spread the love around. The only franchise I think is even less discriminatory about the depths it is willing to plumb is Evangelion.
Well if you look at anime merchandise in Japan, they brand whatever they can get their hands on. I mean Evangelion themed saving supplies, pfft that's pretty tame for Japan, the birth place of anime character body pillows.

On the other hand as a Western franchise, in the west, Star Wars like most science fiction franchises has traditionally been a boy's club sort of deal. The fact that they're branding stuff for adult women, nevermind little girls, is a surprising departure.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
I'm going with the koala on this one.
Why would Star Wars makeup be inclusive? Or evil? What exactly is so wrong about Disney selling this stuff?

My preferred poll option would be "OP is taking this too seriously".

Also, if you want to buy it, go for it. I don't see why Padmé would be a worse guide in the business of makeup than any other kabuki artist.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Fallow said:
I'm going with the koala on this one.
Why would Star Wars makeup be inclusive? Or evil? What exactly is so wrong about Disney selling this stuff?

My preferred poll option would be "OP is taking this too seriously".

Also, if you want to buy it, go for it. I don't see why Padmé would be a worse guide in the business of makeup than any other kabuki artist.
Well as for it being inclusive, it's one of the first things I've ever seen that's Star Wars merchandising specifically aimed at women. I never said it was evil, nor did I say it was wrong for Disney to do it.

Well considering I'm a regular consumer of cosmetics, something cynical in me burbled on both sides with questions like; "Who thought branding makeup with Star Wars was a good idea?" and "Are women really expected to buy into this?" along with "Is there anything Disney won't brand with their biggest franchises?"... Which lead me to an entirely new question: Where the hell is my Marvel themed makeup Disney!? Maybe I am taking it too seriously, but it's something that hit a surprise attack right in my cynicism.

The only problem is that the main reason I want to buy it is because it has Star Wars branding, with it being cosmetics I'd use being a secondary consideration. I mean if it can get me like that, how many guys are buying it, even though they'll never use it, just because it has Star Wars on it. Also how many awkward moments is this causing parents, having their small sons begging for makeup, just because it has a Star Wars logo on it.

It's not evil, it's just kinda weird direction, like they're marketing too hard.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
thaluikhain said:
So...there's Star Wars merchandising now? Yeah, that's not really news.
Pretty much this. I don't really see the difference between this and any number of other nonsensical advertising stunts. I pretty much expect all manner of regular goods to have star wars (or any other popular franchise name) slapped on it for no reason besides advertising.

I agree with the OP that it makes very little sense from any other than a commercial standpoint but I can't be particularly surprised by that.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Sadly I've known about this for almost a year now, I make hot stamping dies that print makeup bottles & such.

The Spaceballs video up above pretty much covers my feelings on the matter, but Star Wars has always been like this.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So what makes this different than any other make-up?

Im going to bet there is no difference other than it is more expensive because or the 8 extra letters on the bottle.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Marketing gone too far?

Hardly. Star Wars is an evergreen franchise that rakes in fucking millions of dollars and is a pop culture icon.

This is on par for the course. They WOULD have makeup for Star Wars because everyone and their fucking dog is raving like mad over it. It's just another marketing ploy to get people even more hyped.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I ate chips that were branded with Star Wars when the Phantom Menace came out.

Merchandising's gonna merchandise.

Act now and you can buy your Fallout Nuka Cola.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Will they release a special edition of the makeup where the color correction is so bad that you look like Carrie Fisher impersonating an 18th Century French Woman's makeup?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Funny, I would have figured something like this [http://www.laughchat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/no.jpg] would better qualify as merchandising gone too far.

I don't really see the problem here. There are lots of female Star Wars fans out there who would probably go for this sort of thing. It's not that different from, say, eau de Lando cologne. [http://theswca.com/duncan-images/1BATH/BT00655.JPG]

In case I haven't made my point clear, the franchise has been marketed to death since Lucas introduced the Ewoks. Not sure why the OP is pointing this out just now. Yes it's massively hypocritical for a franchise that features warrior monks who eschew material wealth, but you can't solely blame the companies as long as the masses keep lapping it up (myself included).
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
But my cynical side just says it's a cold emotionless cash grab by Disney, a company willing to slap a brand on anything, if they think it will sell.
How is this just a Disney issue? When it comes to merchandise, Lucas ran the franchise into the ground years before Disney got their hands on the IP.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Star Wars is an evergreen franchise that rakes in fucking millions of dollars and is a pop culture icon.
Pretty much this. Interesting to see that Disney is targeting girls with it though, as their treatment of Marvel indicated they wanted it to be their "18-39 y/o males demographic" property.

Somewhat on topic, does anyone have a $$ amount on the lifetime earnings of Star Wars merchandising? Because I recently read 9 billion, and that seemed...ridiculously low.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
...why is this weird? Star Wars is one of those franchises that has tons of fans from every demographic, men and women alike. And a lot of those women like to wear make-up. Honestly, if they started selling Star Wars vibrators I'd raise an eyebrow, but this just seems like your run-of-the-mill merchandising.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Funny, I would have figure or this [http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qU217kvxHrk/U4H_vRlEr9I/AAAAAAAAHLQ/T1WFRf_zT28/s1600/c3po+tape+dispenser.jpg] would better qualify as merchandising gone too far.

I don't really see the problem here. There are lots of female Star Wars fans out there who would probably go for this sort of thing. It's not that different from, say, eau de Lando cologne. [http://theswca.com/duncan-images/1BATH/BT00655.JPG]

In case I haven't made my point clear, the franchise has been marketed to death since Lucas introduced the Ewoks. Not sure why the OP is pointing this out just now. Yes it's massively hypocritical for a franchise that features warrior monks who eschew material wealth, but you can't solely blame the companies as long as the masses keep lapping it up (myself included).
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
But my cynical side just says it's a cold emotionless cash grab by Disney, a company willing to slap a brand on anything, if they think it will sell.
How is this just a Disney issue? When it comes to merchandise, Lucas ran the franchise into the ground years before Disney got their hands on the IP.
So this doesn't even mark Star Wars merchandise reaching out to the cosmetics industry? It's just the first time they reach out to females in the cosmetic industry part.

My pick for the poll option would be "OP is clearly overreacting and cherry picking information that proves his point that Disney is evil when it comes to marketing", but I guess that would be too long...

Meh I say, let the people who want to buy it.

Edit: Forgot to remove the footnote.