Poll: Daniel Tosh threatens Woman with Gang Rape

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
It's not the best response to a heckler, but it's part of his act. A bad rape joke is still just that, a rape JOKE. If you think jokes about race, sex, sexual orientation, or anything else that represents a demographic are ok, but are only up in arms over this, you are being very selective in your fights, and not in a way that helps any cause.

Also the people throwing around sociology terms like privilege (which isn't really applicable here) to give their arguments some weight were good for a laugh. More of a laugh than I find Daniel Tosh, but then again, that's why I don't pay to go to or watch his shows.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Only thing I'm annoyed by is how shit that put down was. I mean really was that the best he could come up with. Not impressed.

dogstile said:
Kahunaburger said:
Jack the Potato said:
that she interrupted and was therefore made to shut up
Jack the Potato said:
got her to shut her mouth.
You sure you're not an MRA?
So, he describes what happens, gets called a MRA? Are you sure you're still being serious?
Its the thread, I think its making everyone a bit silly.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I don't find it funny, I never have and never will find rape funny.

I simply won't watch comedy where it's made a joke of rather than complain about something that will never go away.

I guess it's the way he executed it, it was poorly done and with no class. Like a cheap shot joke.

MyFooThurTS

Jul 28, 2010
"I, for one, DON'T find them funny", therefore: "rape jokes are never funny"?
Uh, a crowd of laughing audience might have given you a, sort of, objective measure to the contrary there, madam. If it inspires laughter, it's funny. I don't get how you people believe you've the right to enforce your narrow little perspectives on the rest of the world - damn, even on objective reality. You'd all make excellent priests.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
SadakoMoose said:
While making rape jokes at a comedy club, Daniel Tosh was told off by a woman who didn't that rape was very funny.

Looks like you accidentally the whole word.

IMO Daniel Tosh has never been funny, and saying rape is funny is not funny either. But that doesn't mean rape jokes can never be funny.

In the immortal words of George Carlin:

"Ohhh, some people don't like you to talk like that. Ohh, some people like to shut you up for saying those things.
You know that. Lots of people. Lots of groups in this country want to tell you how to talk.
Tell you what you can't talk about. Well, sometimes they'll say, well you can talk about something but you can't joke about it.
Say you can't joke about something because it's not funny. Comedians run into that shit all the time.
Like rape. They'll say, "you can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny."
I say, "fuck you, I think it's hilarious. How do you like that?"
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
See, hey why do you think they call him "Porky," eh? I know what you're going to say.
"Elmer was asking for it. Elmer was coming on to Porky.
Porky couldn't help himself, he got a hard- on, he got horny, he lost control, he went out of his mind."
A lot of men talk like that. A lot of men think that way. They think it's the woman's fault.
They like to blame the rape on the woman. Say, "she had it coming, she was wearing a short skirt."
These guys think women ought to go to prison for being cock teasers. Don't seem fair to me.
Don't seem right, but you can joke about it. I believe you can joke about anything.
It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is."

And Carlin was always right, about everything. That's why I now worship the sun, and Joe Pesci.

And Dave Chappelle has this to say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWlBgj0uOc

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Yomandude said:
>is rape acceptable to joke about?
>three wrong answers in a row

Goodness me. It looks like I'm in the minority as someone who enjoys Tosh's humor regardless of content.
EDIT: I'm also an idiot who didn't check the thread. Have this as my apology.

Holy shit my wife and I laughed for awhile at that one. I need to stay away from the chans for my sanity, but wow did I have a temptation with that.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
Bit of a fix in the poll. Some people may think it is acceptable to joke about rape. By neglecting to put in a "yes" option, you have prevented someone from voicing their opinion when they have a Human Right to do so.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
gibboss28 said:
Only thing I'm annoyed by is how shit that put down was. I mean really was that the best he could come up with. Not impressed.

dogstile said:
Kahunaburger said:
Jack the Potato said:
that she interrupted and was therefore made to shut up
Jack the Potato said:
got her to shut her mouth.
You sure you're not an MRA?
So, he describes what happens, gets called a MRA? Are you sure you're still being serious?
Its the thread, I think its making everyone a bit silly.
That plus the recent "politically correct" wagon. I live in England, i'm already tired of it here.

To anyone reading this and still interested in why I think OP is overreacting:

A police officer wouldn't go into a Chris Rock show and heckle that it wasn't fair towards him and his fellow officers because he realised that its just a joke and in no way reflects his actual beliefs as a person.

A heckler goes into a show where everyone is having a good time in a fun way where nobody is being seriously targeted, shouts something out and usually laughs when the comedian insults them.

This woman goes beyond that. She goes into a show, doesn't know what is going to happen and then tries to ruin the career of a man because he told a joke she didn't like. She didn't like how she was singled out (even though she made herself a target via heckling) and in general is a great example of why you should think before you speak.

Hell, its not even bad that she spoke out, but she should have complained after the show. What she shouldn't have done is attempt to ruin it for a bunch of people who paid good money to see exactly the kind of humour they were receiving.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Daniel tosh is a shock comic, and she was a heckler. It was a highly unfortunate topic that probly shouldn't have come up, but performers really, really REALLY hate hecklers, its extremely unpleasant being up there on stage and having your entire atmosphere and pacing destroyed by a person who cant take a joke.

Yes, he probly shouldn't be running around making rape jokes, but again, the guy is a frikkin shock comic, and is well known for that type of material, why the hell was she at that show in the first place if she can't handle hearing someone step on a few social taboos?

Edit: He has said worse before, this case is only special because she saw fit to make such an uproar over it, she's not the kind of person that should be watching this genre of entertainment, its entire reason to exist is to TRY and force people to react.

Also way to be fair with that poll. Agenda much?

Shock comedy isnt shock comedy if someone isnt upset. Louis CK sums it up perfectly at the end of a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3t-TdOJuU

Important bit starts around 1:20

Devils advocate man, AWAAAYYYY.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
Xan Krieger said:
Where's a "yes" poll option? I thought it was funny and I will continue to watch Tosh.0 and any future comedy specials involving Daniel Tosh.
Just as I'll continue to post, retweet, and tweet this story to everyone I can until Tosh either apologizes or suffers monetary losses as the result of people no longer wishing to support him by consuming his product.
Glad to see that you'll stand behind a guy that thinks gang rape is funny.
theres a difference between joking about a subject and thinking the subject is funny.
think you have lost the plot just a little bit honestly. Hes a stand up comic that deals pretty much entirely in taboo areas and he also improvs quite a lot. he already had apologies out for the incident before your post. its pretty clear he doesnt think its funny and he simply made a mistake.

improving on stage i bet half the stuff is out of his mouth before he knows what he is saying. its not like hes leading some pre meditated pro rape campaign here, he just made a joke that didnt work.

But i owe you a thanks i had never heard of the guy before today and i just sat through a very entertaining hour of his material and look forward to seeing more. infact in this "completely serious" show there is a joke about some sports guy thats alleged to be a rapist and its pretty clear he doesnt approve, and thats a pre meditated re used section so really. massive drama over nothing really / first world problem.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
Look, Jimmy Carr is politically incorrect but at least there is wit and technique in the construction of his jokes. People find him funny because he is clever,
I posted a 10 minute clip of Jimmy with some of his best heckler put downs a few pages ago.

The main difference between comedians like Jimmy Carr and Tosh is that Jimmy doesn't purposefully go out of his way to offend people.

No, he isn't "politically correct" but he is an intelligent guy so comes up with jokes that are funny without coming across like a rant.

Plus he uses sarcasm almost perfectly some times and he is hilarious.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Ahh these threads are always good for a laugh. So what? Comedian makes dickish comment to dickish audience member?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I go into a comedy club not knowing anything about the comedian performing. It is a kind of humor I dislike and don't find funny. Rather than just leave I should disrupt his act, potentially ruining the show for the performer and the rest of the audience because I believe my opinion is so important that they need to hear it.

Seriously I just don't understand this attitude. He makes rape jokes, not everyone finds them funny, I didn't find what he said funny but some people do. Just let people like what they like rather than trying to take it away from them simply because you think it's bad. Live and let live.