Poll: Deadliest Warrior, Crap and Poor-Taste?

Flyingchciken93

Apr 21, 2011
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:
They only compare weapons, never tactics, terrain or the intented enemies of the warriors weapons.
I have seen them compare tactics and weapons on every episode ive seen.

Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents.
In fairness the IRA never did anything to america so why should they be treated the same as the taliban(who have done things to americans) by americans.

I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.[/qoute]

You obviously have none of the facts if thats what you think.
Alright, time to answer some objections it seems.

Objection 1) Well, what episodes have you seen? Because I have seen ninja's do one on one fights to the death with gladiators, individual pirates fight on land, the Vietcong fight in a straight up typical battle and a Roman Centurion fight on his own. As far as I've seen, they care little for tactics.

Objection 2) Does that give me an excuse, as British, the right to not care about the Vietcong, the Norway killer guy and the genocide of the Hutus by the Tutsis and treat them and the disasters they were involved in an insensitive and tactless manner?

Objection 3) Well, what are the facts then, because as far as I see it, the IRA *are* terrorists (they waged a campaign of terror in order to get what they want) against a democratic country in which the common man had decided not to agree with what the IRA stood for (read: not oppressed, not the common person's fighter).
First, ive seen basically every episode and until this tread had pretty much forgotten the simulated fights at the end, but those simulated fights have nothing to do with the test results except the outcome, they load the weapons strenghts and weaknesses into a computer which tells them which weapons are overall better. the simulated fight and their terrain and tactics have nothing to do with it its just for entertainment.

Second, Oh your british that explains our hatred of IRA, the people willing to fight against your governemts oprression of Ireland.

Third, The IRA are indeed freedom fighters giving that their goal is ultimately the freedom of Ireland from British rule. Id say the only people who dont agree with what the IRA truly stand for despite their "terrorrist" label is you british.

maxriderules

Mar 26, 2011
The only problem is, the majority of people in Northern Ireland would rather be in Britain than the Republic of Ireland, while most of the British 'opressors', as you call them, really don't particularly mind. It's like the opposite of Vietnam- in a democratic vote, the Vietnamese would rather be Communist, and side with the North Viet Cong. On the other hand, I suppose democracy is only useful if everyone agrees with America.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
theamazingbean said:
Its popularity is a testament to the fallen state of modern society.
I find this post absolutely hilarious.

On the one hand, I hope you're making a joke. On the other, it's even funnier if you aren't.

If you aren't, please explain yourself. I really want to hear your reasoning.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
orangeban said:
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
But it pretends to be serious and factual, it acts like it is hard science. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but maybe it should make it clearer that it is light entertainment.
I like it.

It's a really fun show.

That, and this season, they are taking a LOT more into account. I've talked with a few of the guys personally.

Just because you only see x tests on the show doesn't mean thats the only tests they do. Theres a ton of stuff they can't fit on the show that they still test.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Lethos said:
Turigamot said:
Lethos said:
Yeah, I can't watch this show. I'm the type of guy that is incapable of watching shows based on historical events and mythology unless they are factual. You should of seen me when I was watching 'Clash of the Titans' and Hades was repeatedly said to be evil.

You know what that makes you? A pendant.

Know what's great about pedants? Absolutely nothing.
I'm a pendant? And here I thought I was an earring.

Proof. Though I admit I chuckled.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Turigamot said:
Lethos said:
Turigamot said:
Lethos said:
Yeah, I can't watch this show. I'm the type of guy that is incapable of watching shows based on historical events and mythology unless they are factual. You should of seen me when I was watching 'Clash of the Titans' and Hades was repeatedly said to be evil.

Then I am good for something and therefore disprove your previous statement of us pedants being good for nothing. ;)

Flyingchciken93 said:
Second, Oh your british that explains our hatred of IRA, the people willing to fight against your governemts oprression of Ireland.

Third, The IRA are indeed freedom fighters giving that their goal is ultimately the freedom of Ireland from British rule. Id say the only people who dont agree with what the IRA truly stand for despite their "terrorrist" label is you british.
Oh boy did you open a can of worms. I would say killing innocent people, who had nothing to do with the occupation of Ireland, counts as terrorism in the same way that the Taliban killing innocent Americans, who had nothing to do with the Middle East counts as terrorism.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
GigaHz said:
If it's on Spike, you shouldn't expect the program to have any intellectual integrity.

Now, if this were a program on Discovery Channel, you may have a case.
Discovery channel? Well, the shows themselves may be alright, but internationally, the subtitles are pretty atrocious.

Being bilingual sometimes shows up how bad translations can be.

I mean, doing weird things with sayings that exist in one language but not the other is one thing...

But getting a show on a 'science' channel that translates 100 miles an hour into something rediculous like 3450 meters ^2, (getting both the unit conversion, AND the unit and type of measurement wrong is pretty galling. I swear I saw things that weren't even close.

It's not like saying 100 miles is 180 kilometers - instead of 161. It was more like saying 100 miles is 340,000 newtons.

Way off in both units and scale.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
orangeban said:
Now, since the Escapist is generally one of the more enlightened areas of the internet...
AHAHAHAHAHA.

Ahem.Honestly,The Escapist is like YouTube,but with better grammar,and SLIGHTLY less idiots.Honestly,just look at the comments on any Zero Punctuation video.As to answer your question,I find the commentary largely tasteless,but the show as a whole to be worth watching.The reason they didn't use actual 20-man volley fire in that episode was because they had restricted the battle to four on four.As for other tactical oddities,I imagine that they don't talk about them because they consider the weapons testing to be more important,and they can only show so much in 15-20 minutes.I've always assumed that they do take tactics into consideration,but they don't talk about them on air very often,and they just put them into the simulation.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
I agree with this statement.

I just find it pure, mindless fun, I really could care less about who it considers the 'badguy' of history, William Wallace was actually well educated and not as savage as they made him out in the episode where he fought shaka zulu, but does it personally offend me? No, not really. No offense to you, but I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.
Pretty much this as well. It's mindless fun with some cheesy fights at the end of each episode. It's not a documentary or anything, just sheer mindless fun and entertainment and I would have it no other way! :D

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax!".

(Cookie for anyone who get's that last line.)

crepesack

May 20, 2008
I just like laughing when they have their "combat simulator" do its magic. It's quite clearly a weighted random number generator. Hilarious.

Tehgnarr

Aug 3, 2011
Wow, it's kinda sad that I registered here just to reply to this thread, but here goes =)

The problem with this kind of simulations is, that you can _never_ get even close to a "full" simulation. You'd have to account for such factors as weather conditions during the fight, terrain, fatigue of the fighters and many many more. There are programs used by the military to simulate big operations which use a lot of different parameters, but even those aren't (can't be) really accurate. Those results are just estimates. That's why I think, that the software they use is sufficient to make a fun tv-show, but can't be taken too seriously.

And of course they have to be biased towards the US-Forces, because it's a US show, for US people, funded by US ads. I was really surprised that Spetznaz won against the Green Hat dudes, but then again - it's Spetznaz and I have read some memoires of former Spetznaz operatives...

Also, there were some complaints about testing of the grenades in that episode - but keep in mind: those grenades were of different design and made for different purposes (I think they mentioned it on the show).

IRA vs Taliban episode...well, there was a time, when the Taliban were not the enemy, but an ally of USA used to keep USSR out of Afghanistan. So...no point in complaining about that, I guess. You create a monster and then it comes back - cause it always does ^^

"It's just a show, I should really just relax!" is a quote from MST3K opening theme =)

EDIT: I just re-read the opening post and this whole "WOW! HARDCORE!" stuff they say is really just that typical frat-boy-speak, that nearly all males (yours truly included) use when seeing something spectacular - for instance, expoloding pipebombs. No need to judge on that.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Lethos said:
Turigamot said:
Lethos said:
Turigamot said:
Lethos said:

Then I am good for something and therefore disprove your previous statement of us pedants being good for nothing. ;)
Son of a...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
The show is basically the manifestation of inane "what if" conversations. It's cheap fun with a little bit of(often bad) science and an occasional raping of history.

That being said, I would like to see them do this kind of thing with forces larger than a squad. I would like to see how a roman army would do against say a medieval army. Knights can be an undisciplined lot and tend to fight individually as opposed to part of a unit. What wins out? Individual valor and weight of arms or uncrushable discipline and effective tactics?

CANofKAM

Nov 21, 2010
who gives half a **** about historical accuracy or whatever you people can find a reason to complain about. All i want to see is a Pirate fight a knight or the Mafia fight the Yakuza, i don't care if the pirate really used a cutlass as apposed to a saber, I want to see two iconic bad-ass' duke it out with a lot of blood, guts, guns and swords along the way. The shows not supposed to be a documentary, its meant to be enjoyed with its mind numbing, stupid, pointless violence so just watch it, enjoy and stop complaining.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
Here is what I think about the show. I think it was created so that people can quit with the who would win in a fight arguments. sure your right it is not perfect, but it is way more accurate than two drunk dudes arguing.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:
They only compare weapons, never tactics, terrain or the intented enemies of the warriors weapons.

Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents.
In fairness the IRA never did anything to america so why should they be treated the same as the taliban(who have done things to americans) by americans.

I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.[/qoute]

Objection 1) Well, what episodes have you seen? Because I have seen ninja's do one on one fights to the death with gladiators, individual pirates fight on land, the Vietcong fight in a straight up typical battle and a Roman Centurion fight on his own. As far as I've seen, they care little for tactics.

Objection 2) Does that give me an excuse, as British, the right to not care about the Vietcong, the Norway killer guy and the genocide of the Hutus by the Tutsis and treat them and the disasters they were involved in an insensitive and tactless manner?

Objection 3) Well, what are the facts then, because as far as I see it, the IRA *are* terrorists (they waged a campaign of terror in order to get what they want) against a democratic country in which the common man had decided not to agree with what the IRA stood for (read: not oppressed, not the common person's fighter).
First, ive seen basically every episode and until this tread had pretty much forgotten the simulated fights at the end, but those simulated fights have nothing to do with the test results except the outcome, they load the weapons strenghts and weaknesses into a computer which tells them which weapons are overall better. the simulated fight and their terrain and tactics have nothing to do with it its just for entertainment.

Mate, they may be freedom fighters, and yes, Britain has given Ireland raw deal after raw deal through the centuries and that sucks, but THEY HAVE BLOWN UP INNOCENT PEOPLE. They are terrorists. Sympathising with their cause is one thing, an admirable thing. But supporting them after some of the shit they've done? You're either badly informed or you just have no respect for human life.

I totally agree about the "wow hardcore" thing. Very bad taste and frankly offensive, and saying "it's light entertainment, don't take it so seriously" is not good enough in my opinion.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
How about the fact a nija came right out and attacked a spartan and a samurai with no stealth element involved? How about the fact NONE of the fights are fair?

I remember a couple of contests that piss me off.

Samurai vs Ninja
Ninja Vs spartan
Knight Vs pirate

Honeslty they could have made more fair fights, Perhaps
pirate vs musketeer
Knight vs Samurai
Ninja Vs Zulu assassin (or whatever it was called that aired forevor ago)

Hell they even had a made up fight between sun tzu and vlad the impaler

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
It's a show of much wasted potential, I watch it because I like the weapons, but their "scientific testing" is just awful. They don't seem to take the most important factors of fighting into account, but instead watch what weapon maimed the pig most severely. If they were more serious and researched properly, it could be very good.

I'll give you a few examples, in the Joan of Arc vs William there were, suprise, numerous idiotic conclusion.

Firstly, they give the edge to William's sword over Joan's because he killed the pigs faster. That test was all about the knuckleheads they gave that sword to, the same person would have had similar results with both weapons. And of course swinging a sword against plate doesn't pierce it, what could happen is blunt trauma due to repeated blows. The Joan stand-in easily pierces the mail of William-pig with the tip as she thrusts it in with a polearm-grip (holding the blade with one gauntlet), but that isn't something you easily do to a big, strong man that fights back. It's very close range, predictable and easily swept aside when performed by a small, 17-year old girl, who was a farmer a few weeks ago. Yet in the live-action battle she kills Willaim with one-handed thrusts, fighting up a set of stairs, with no injury and little difficulty.

The X-factors add a new layer of stupidity in the way they use it. Even though they argued that William was a badass veteran and generally a strong fighter (200lbs), while Joan (125lbs) was a teenage girl with no combat experience, they gave William a physicality of 78 and Joan 64. What do you have to be to get a score of 40, triple-amputee?

Afterwards they rate them on battlefield experience, William has lots and gets 81, she has NONE, they even state that and then give her a 58. I facepalmed halfway out of my chair at that point..

It gets even more brilliant when they rate them on something as solid as intuition, giving Joan 84 and William 80, citing God's inspiration or "something else" as the source of that number.

Flyingchciken93

Apr 21, 2011
Hides His Eyes said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:

Mate, they may be freedom fighters, and yes, Britain has given Ireland raw deal after raw deal through the centuries and that sucks, but THEY HAVE BLOWN UP INNOCENT PEOPLE. They are terrorists. Sympathising with their cause is one thing, an admirable thing. But supporting them after some of the shit they've done? You're either badly informed or you just have no respect for human life.

I totally agree about the "wow hardcore" thing. Very bad taste and frankly offensive, and saying "it's light entertainment, don't take it so seriously" is not good enough in my opinion.
I never said i supported them though it may have sounded that way, i just dont view them as terrorrists the same as the taliban, now thats probably just my bias but what can you do. I meant the virtual fight is light entertainment not the wow hardcore thing thats completely disrespectfulll of that guy buy it was probably just a slip of the tongue.