Poll: Deadliest Warrior, Crap and Poor-Taste?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
syrus27 said:
orangeban said:
I was ready to counter rant, but actually you make some very good points, glad to say the only part of Deadliest Warrior I've enjoyed is the Spartan vs Ninja fight.

And is there really much IRA sympathy? That's a bit worrying.
Well, much might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is there in the USA. And I only pick on the USA in particular because I suspect most of it is due to a lack of understanding about the IRA, rather than actually understanding them. For example, many Americans (not the government, individuals) funded the IRA, some out of actual support for the IRA, but what likely happened with many is they thought the nasty terrorist group were actually just plucky Irish rebels.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for calling my points good.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
orangeban said:
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
But it pretends to be serious and factual, it acts like it is hard science. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but maybe it should make it clearer that it is light entertainment.
I'd be worried if many people believe their 'science' though. When comparing two data sets (as the show does) the first rule is that the two data sets must have been produced under identical conditions. Just thinking back to a few episodes I've seen I can remember the Viking vs Ninja weapon tests where the Ninja weapons were swung by Gymfreak McSteroid and the Viking weapons by a long-haired hippy type who had the muscle tone of a limp elastic band. Other examples include the SEALS vs Spetznaz episode where the SEALS grenades were tested for 'lethality' against unshielded targets in an enclosed space (to amplify the blast) and the Spetznaz grenades were tested out in the open against lightly shielded targets. The data collected by their 'analyst' is so badly skewed in favour of one party over the other that they may as well just state at the start of the show "We'd like these guys to win!" and be done with it.

Maybe I'm not viewing the show as your average viewer would (having been a data analyst myself for the last fifteen years) but to me the entire show screams "total piss-take!". It's just a televised version of those 'X vs Y' arguements people get into, and as a result the situations are totally hypothetical and any conclusions drawn are ultimately meaningless.

It is cool to see what ancient weapons to do ballistic gel dummies though.
you have to consider that they are condensing several days of testinf into an hour long show, they actually do run several more tests and cherry pick the most entertaining ones for the show...

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Hey we get to see plenty of action, and how the weapons really effected their unlucky enemies, so i don't really give a F*ck if its "unrealistic" its entertainment.

Apr 24, 2008
It's stupid in a multitude of ways.

Still...good though isn't it.

Everytime someone insists that this is an unusually intelligent web-community it makes my toes curl.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Everytime someone insists that this is an unusually intelligent web-community it makes my toes curl.
Welp, when I say that I really just meant that as a website of (mostly) nerds and gamers, people would probably be more aware of what is and isn't historically accurate about this show.

Lungo

Feb 9, 2008
The show you are referring to are flawed single minded entertainment for the stupid masses, which one solo goal are to make money....

Okay, I won't event start going on about it, since, the last 3 drafts I just wrote, I'm sure would give me temp band or something from here...

In shot. That show are shit and should not exists. It are purely crap with wrong assumption and really really bad "test and analyses".... If you even can call what they are doing that...

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
orangeban said:
While watching a video of an IRA bombing (which killed civilians) the main host went, "WOW, HARDCORE!"

Thoughts on this? Have I been reasonable?
Yes and no.

While I don't know the rest of your posting history, I imagine that at least once or twice you've played a game (you're at the Escapist afterall). And I'd be willing to put some money down on the fact that you have done something like shoot a person in one of these games you've played. Or perhaps seen a friend playing a game and said something along the lines of "Wow; Hardcore!" If such is the case, then I'm afraid this post smacks a little bit of hypocrisy. You'll probably counter "but that was a video game" or "it wasn't a civilian being shot/maimed/killed" or "it wasn't committed by a terrorist." I think the difference isn't all that different. Deadliest is an entertainment project. Video games are entertainment products. Perhaps the more critical question is "why are we entertained by sensationalized killing".

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
The show is really only good for introducing people to fighters from throughout history to research on their own time and the fight scene at the end.

As for the weapon comparisons, they suck. However, that's great time to play games on my PSP while only slightly paying attention to the show. (I finished many of Theo's requests in P3P while watching Deadlist Warrior.)

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
orangeban said:
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
But it pretends to be serious and factual, it acts like it is hard science. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but maybe it should make it clearer that it is light entertainment.
no it really doesnt. a ninja versus a spartan cannot be taken seriously. the biggest issue here is they didnt really show the IRA in a positive light. they showed them in an odd middleground. they didnt even really go into detail on the taliban just describing they were incredibly religious. Oh and the Sadam v pol pot thing...who cares? they are dead. I find it much more depressing that no one cared who pol pot was when he was alive, Just like Idi Amin. its a stupid show that is fun for a little bit of the day. Nothing more.

oh and the hardcore thing was to the explosion not the situation. obviously.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
orangeban said:
Grouchy Imp said:
There's the problem. People will think they know history and military strategy because they watched this show. I can see drunken arguments all across America: "Dude, a Spartan would totally kick a Samurai's ass! It's true because they showed it on TV!"

I've never seen the show. I trust there is no mention of tactics, discipline, terrain, morale, communication, supply lines, leadership, or even sheer numbers as possible factors?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I've seen a few episodes of this show, and it is pretty cool to watch the ballistics gel dummies getting cut up with hand axes and such, but I can't help but criticize the basic idea. My main problem is that "the deadliest warrior," the person most likely to be able to kill you, is largely dependent on who/how many/where you are, not what kind of weapons they use. The ninja vs Spartan one was the one that pissed me off. Ninjas generally weren't ones to run around in all black (they wore blue, actually, but certainly didn't wear their fancy pajamas in the middle of the damn day), and would probably never have engaged a fully armed soldier in direct combat alone. The weapons and tactics they did have were designed to counter the samurai anyway, so it's hard to tell what we are supposed to glean from the ninja's inevitable loss -- weapons that were never designed to work against Spartans didn't work? Tactics ninjas never used failed them? Black pj's don't conceal well in bright sunlight?

Honestly though, I never noticed the tastelessness you mentioned. From what you describe, I agree, but I didn't see any episodes like that.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
there's quite a lot of iffy science and flamebait to this show. Most of it tried not to be in bad taste but at the end of the day it's always gonna be like that. The reps of the factions always end up fighting like kids about my warrior is better then yours. The funny thing every time the Russian military was on they were the most professional compared to other factions.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Lethos said:
Yeah, I can't watch this show. I'm the type of guy that is incapable of watching shows based on historical events and mythology unless they are factual. You should of seen me when I was watching 'Clash of the Titans' and Hades was repeatedly said to be evil.

You know what that makes you? A pendant.

Know what's great about pedants? Absolutely nothing.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I do like learning how different and interesting weapons from different cultures work, but yes the show is absolute crap. Why would a ninja run into straight up battle against a Spartan? Because the writers of the show are idiots.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
orangeban said:
Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents. You may say why worry, but I say that there is a strange amount of IRA sympathism in America already, and while people are entitled to opinions, I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.
I'm surprised they didn't use Michael Collins' IRA as reference material, y'know, the one that actually wrestled the British oppressors to their knees to get Irish independence back at the start of the 20th century, rather than the terrorists of the 50s and onwards.

But hey, as you say, it's a stupid show, with an even more stupid tie-in video game.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Don't know if this has been brought up (too lazy to read the entire thread), but when a show compares a shrapnel grenade to a flashbang, and declares the former the better weapon because "it caused more damage", despite one of them being designed to incapacitate without killing the people it's used against, expecting credibility from their "experts" is a waste of time.