Poll: Deadliest Warrior, Crap and Poor-Taste?

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
Its pretty much crap but i enjoy it because of it. The bad scripten/improvised bad mouthing of the opposite sides and etc. Like my favorit is when they match a indian against...ehm someone and the indian elder is SO bad at improvised trash talk that its hilarious.
And hell its fun when they start flinging their weapons at blood filled target dummies + the fights at the end are entertaining. But the idea itself where they are supposed to se who is the strongest of two different warriors is faulty because of the reasons you mentioned.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Irridium said:
Considering Spike's target audience, I'm not surprised really. I think you're just thinking about it too much. Yeah it's rather stupid, but it's the same for pretty much everything on Spike. It's there for entertainment first, scientific facts and whatnot, like, 4th or something.

Yeah your being reasonable, but it's kind of wasted energy. It's Spike, it's kind of what they do.

That being said, I still watch it. I kind of like the corny action-scenes.
This. Most of the show is pseudoscientific bullshit. But I get to see various weapons demolish things and a well put together fight scene at the end of the show. And the narrator is awesome.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Their logic is silly, their outcomes are stupid and their grasp on history is frightening and hilarious at the same time. However, I sort of enjoy it... David Whenam narrates it which is awesome (under the thin guise of Drew Sky) and I sort of enjoy watching pigs get shot and cut to pieces. I also think the choreography and the filming of the battle at the end is pretty entertaining.

However from what I hear, their history is improving... logic however... still down in the batshit insane area.

Flyingchciken93

Apr 21, 2011
orangeban said:
They only compare weapons, never tactics, terrain or the intented enemies of the warriors weapons.
I have seen them compare tactics and weapons on every episode ive seen.

Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents.
In fairness the IRA never did anything to america so why should they be treated the same as the taliban(who have done things to americans) by americans.

I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.[/qoute]

You obviously have none of the facts if thats what you think.

[qoute=]The other reason is about an event that happened for a split second, but disgusted me. While watching a video of an IRA bombing (which killed civilians) the main host went, "WOW, HARDCORE!"qoute]

That can be dismissed as a reaction to the explosion in awe not praise.

Btw qoute fail but nvm

DSK-

May 13, 2010
The episode that made me cringe and shout at my TV was the one that had a Spartan vs Ninja. The Spartan won because the Ninja attacked head on.

*shakes head at being reminded of this episode*

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
Yeah, you're pretty much 100% right here.

OT: It's just stupid fun, so just relax and enjoy a dramatization of a ninja fighting a spartan.

Also, holy fuck some of those swords just fuck your shit up. It's a shame that the recently released game I heard about is apparently so shitty, because it could have been epic with a little (okay a lot) more polish.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
If you don't like the show, don't watch it. I enjoy it, it's like Soul Calibur (transcending history and the world), only more enjoyable to watch and listen to.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
If you don't like the show, don't watch it. I enjoy it, it's like Soul Calibur (transcending history and the world), only more enjoyable to watch and listen to.
Theres a big difference between not liking it and not being entertained by it :). I don't like the show but I'm highly entertained by it... only for the wrong reasons. I'm one of those sad people who like to watch things he hates just to rant about it....

That and its always fun to see pigs and things getting shot, blown up and cut in half by an assortment of weaponry. Its just the logic and the history* they come up with that is god awful. However thats what is fun to rant about, specially with a friend.

*its basically Hollywood history... Which I wouldn't complain about if this show wasn't trying to sell its self off as historically accurate.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I actually like watching it, seeing different weapons from different times. Sure the hosts are a little insufferable but what grinds my gears are the "weapons experts". They get so aggressive over a made up fight, it's embarassing to watch.

Especially when the SWAT vs GSG9, where the Germans were so mild mannered and calm and the SWAT guys were such cocky d bags. I felt bad for the gsg9 guys. It's a hypothetical fight, and while I think the concept is kind of cool the people who show off the weapons are so aggressive it's sad.

Also who the hell thinks you can fairly match a pirate against a tutonic knight? He has a god damn gun!

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:
They only compare weapons, never tactics, terrain or the intented enemies of the warriors weapons.

Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents.
In fairness the IRA never did anything to america so why should they be treated the same as the taliban(who have done things to americans) by americans.

I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.[/qoute]

Alright, time to answer some objections it seems.

Objection 1) Well, what episodes have you seen? Because I have seen ninja's do one on one fights to the death with gladiators, individual pirates fight on land, the Vietcong fight in a straight up typical battle and a Roman Centurion fight on his own. As far as I've seen, they care little for tactics.

Objection 2) Does that give me an excuse, as British, the right to not care about the Vietcong, the Norway killer guy and the genocide of the Hutus by the Tutsis and treat them and the disasters they were involved in an insensitive and tactless manner?

Objection 3) Well, what are the facts then, because as far as I see it, the IRA *are* terrorists (they waged a campaign of terror in order to get what they want) against a democratic country in which the common man had decided not to agree with what the IRA stood for (read: not oppressed, not the common person's fighter).

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I hate it, because it's idiotic.

They seem to go for heavy stereotypes (And I mean HEAVY stereotypes). I remember an episode of Samurai VS Viking. They didn't give the Viking a bow and not even a Langseax/Sword/Handaxe & Shield.

But they got one thing right!
They did give him a spear. Two of them, in fact.
And then they make the actor/expert throw them. Both of them.

Then he get shot a couple of times, pulls an arrow out (How did it pierce through the maile to the point where it gets firmly attached to his breast?) off his chest and dies.

They essentially made him a drunk berserk midget. Cool story bro.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Jacco said:
xXAsherahXx said:
The show isn't very accurate as far as results go, and it's incredibly biased towards America. Have you seen America lose a face-off a single time? No, because this is 'Mericuhhh!!!!!!

The FBI should have lost, and the CIA should have lost. Everybody knows tasers don't work for shit against moving targets behind cover, it's just bullshit. And on the latter episode, the way they won was pure shit, the KGB had much better gadgets.
I've seen American units lose loads of times. SWAT vs GSG9 (I think that was the matchup), Special FOrces vs Spetsznas etc
Special forces/spetnaz is the only one they lost (doublechecked after having mistakenly thought spetnaz lost it, which im :D about cos their rep is the best the show ever got) so no need for "etc".

Zap Happy

Mar 28, 2010
AmrasCalmacil said:
'Who would win in a fight out of...'
Exactly. You have to have the right mindset to enjoy the show. You have to see it as if it's you and your buddies sitting around and debating about why Master Chief would/wouldn't beat up the Terminator. If you're the kind of person who can't take a silly concept like that and have fun wit it, the show's not for you.

Also, about the IRA vs. Taliban episode: the host didn't scream "HARDCORE!" at actual video of people dying. It was a test of the nail bomb using foam dummies. It's still a little trashy, but nothing worse than Manswers or 1000 Ways to Die.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Zap Happy said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
Exactly. You have to have the right mindset to enjoy the show. You have to see it as if it's you and your buddies sitting around and debating about why Master Chief would/wouldn't beat up the Terminator. If you're the kind of person who can't take a silly concept like that and have fun wit it, the show's not for you.

Also, about the IRA vs. Taliban episode: the host didn't scream "HARDCORE!" at actual video of people dying. It was a test of the nail bomb using foam dummies. It's still a little trashy, but nothing worse than Manswers or 1000 Ways to Die.
Fine, I can't quite remember exactly what he said. But they did watch a video of a IRA attack and they did go something along the lines of, "WOW!"

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Sovvolf said:
Undead Dragon King said:
Theres a big difference between not liking it and not being entertained by it :). I don't like the show but I'm highly entertained by it... only for the wrong reasons. I'm one of those sad people who like to watch things he hates just to rant about it....

That and its always fun to see pigs and things getting shot, blown up and cut in half by an assortment of weaponry. Its just the logic and the history* they come up with that is god awful. However thats what is fun to rant about, specially with a friend.

*its basically Hollywood history... Which I wouldn't complain about if this show wasn't trying to sell its self off as historically accurate.
I can understand that, but the OP sounded like he hated the show with a passion. No enjoyment at all, not even the 'love to hate' variety you described. It really just sounded like he wanted to piss in people's coffee if they liked/enjoyed the show. That's what I remarked about.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
Sovvolf said:
Undead Dragon King said:

I can understand that, but the OP sounded like he hated the show with a passion. No enjoyment at all, not even the 'love to hate' variety you described. It really just sounded like he wanted to piss in people's coffee if they liked/enjoyed the show. That's what I remarked about.
Hmm, I watch it because it makes me annoyed. Much like Sovvolf I guess.

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:

Objection 3) Well, what are the facts then, because as far as I see it, the IRA *are* terrorists (they waged a campaign of terror in order to get what they want) against a democratic country in which the common man had decided not to agree with what the IRA stood for (read: not oppressed, not the common person's fighter).
I really don't think you know how deep this goes.

what IRA? there's been more than one. at what time period? because the Irish or the "common" man was most certainly oppressed when the British invaded, and that spawned the IRA, the IRA came from the common man, whom defiantly could not beat the British army without terrorist methods.

the British did invade and take over Ireland, these guys din't just blow shit up for shits and giggles.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
mrwoo6 said:
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:

what IRA? there's been more than one. at what time period? because the Irish or the "common" man was most certainly oppressed when the British invaded, and that spawned the IRA, the IRA came from the common man, whom defiantly could not beat the British army without terrorist methods.

the British did invade and take over Ireland, these guys din't just blow shit up for shits and giggles.
Very well, the modern, today IRA. The same IRA that this show was talking about. The IRA that uses nailbombs and stuff. I wasn't aware that there were several IRAs, but when I mentioned them, I meant the most recent (who are fighting for Northern Ireland to join the republic, and less specifically Catholicism.

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
orangeban said:
mrwoo6 said:
orangeban said:
Flyingchciken93 said:
orangeban said:

Very well, the modern, today IRA. The same IRA that this show was talking about. The IRA that uses nailbombs and stuff. I wasn't aware that there were several IRAs, but when I mentioned them, I meant the most recent (who are fighting for Northern Ireland to join the republic, and less specifically Catholicism.
Despite disagreeing with you about them not being freedom fighters, the shows episode was completely bias, not very good, cheap and tasteless.

The "current" IRA, call themselves the "Real IRA" and most defiantly ARE mere terrorists. The IRA the show talks about has long been disbanded. The troubles gets far to complected and personal, and as a northern Irish fellow myself, I recommend not trying to rap your head around the whole thing, its all very complected.

Zap Happy

Mar 28, 2010
orangeban said:
Zap Happy said:
AmrasCalmacil said:

Fine, I can't quite remember exactly what he said. But they did watch a video of a IRA attack and they did go something along the lines of, "WOW!"
There were reenactments of attacks, obviously. Usually the hosts don't react to those though. There were certainly no real videos of real people dying, however. Also, if I remember, most of the victims in the reenactments were dressed as British soldiers or officials, just as the the victims in the Taliban reenactments were American Green Berets (recycled from the Green Beret episode, none the less). I'm not trying to argue that the episode wasn't somewhat trashy, but I think you're overreacting, especially considering Spike's other programs.