Poll: Did you enjoy Dishonored?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Yes, yes I did enjoy Dishonored. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was my Game of the Year 2012. I even have a badge for it! And when I get my hands on the dlc, I will enjoy The Knife of Dunwall, too. And the Brigmore Witches when that comes out.

ejrocksthisworld

Feb 14, 2010
It was my personal Game of the Year for 2012, after having played and beaten games such as 'The Walking Dead', 'Assassin's Creed 3', 'Mass Effect 3' and 'Halo 4'. So yes, the game is phenomenal!

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Pink Gregory said:
One of my perennial favourites. I liked it a whole, whole lot. And I seem to be in the minority. Ho hum.
Then let us be a minority together. I had great fun with the game. The combat was viscerally fun but the stealth was also very satisfying and tense. The powers are kind of game-breaking but so, so satisfying to use.

My only complaint is that it was too easy no matter what difficulty I played it on, even without using powers :[

Nobodyman

Jun 5, 2009
I was actually really excited to play Dishonored, but I found it very disappointing. The game claims that you can play is either as an action game or a stealth game, but that's not exactly true. The game clearly had stealth in mind in its design, because the sword play feels off, like Elder Scrolls 4 off. Not only that, the game punishes you for killing people by giving you a bad ending if you kill too many people. Hello? You're an assassin! Why bother giving me a sword and a gun if your going to politely tell me not to use it. In two of my favorite franchises, Metal Gear and Assassin's Creed, you can play the game as stealthily as you want, but you start fights if you want.

It's ok though. I traded it in and got the game that I made my personal game of the year, XCOM. Anyway, maybe you'll like it, but this is just my opinion.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nope. All the good things you heard about are probably red herrings.

It could be immensely satisfying to set up convoluted traps and have unwitting guards bumble through them like idiots.
But it has the problem of the game not wanting you to have any fun with it.

The Stealth is dull (It's the bad kind where one inch of you is exposed everyone knows where you are)
And killing guards is the WORST THING IMAGINABLE!!!
Torturing, dismembering, Drugging and instigating rape, all fine and dandy. Killing EVIL!

And it's with admirable gusto that the game drives this point home. So you start to feel really shit about using any of the not shit mechanics at risk of getting the bad end (cause it's one of those games too)

The Writing, voice acting and character building are the worst I've seen in years. (Since Oblivion)
Characters will often flit schizophrenically between 2 massively contradictory opinions about you or events or anything.

It's hard to take anything in the game at face value because of the awful writing.

It would be perfectly functional as an arcade style Kill-the-guards-em-up.
Just so long as you ignore everything else that's going on in the game.

Personally I think it's one of the worst games of last year.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Damn straight I did. One of my favorite games of 2012 honestly. Absolutely loved the setting, by the end of the game, I almost felt like I knew all the ins and outs of the streets of Dunwall as if I had lived there. The city itself has a life of its own, and unlike in most other games, I thought the sort of "morality" meter of this game made much more sense in the game world. Actions literally have consequences, where it's far easier to just kill all the guards in your path to reach the objective, but the more you do, the more chaos erupts from it leading to places being more heavily guarded and increase of the spread of the plague. Subtle touches like how if you go through the game without even being spotted, your wanted posters only have a question mark for your picture. This is a game that cannot be missed, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Yes, it was awesome, there were probably a few / a lot of faults, but i found it so entertaining i didnt care two shits.

Stealth was great, you had several options each time. Two different endings that depended on how much / if at all you killed. (My reason for replaying it, and i rarely replay a game)
Yes that might be one of the all hated morality systems, but for this game, somehow i didn't care.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I know I'll get hate for this but to be honest it was just a poor rip off, of Deus Ex human revolution.

It has no depth
The characters are terrible.
The game focuses on the shitty politics of Dunwall rather than the Outsider and supernatural elements.
The pacing is non existent you just get thrown into it.
Your character's lack of a voice is lazy as hell. It just seems like he's a mindless robot, and its a shame because his back story held a lot of promise.
The stealthy approach takes too long. There's no reason not to go on a murder rampage and just hack your way through.*
You don't care about the characters who are shoved in your face, and then told are important to you.
I let Emily drop at the end just to see if Corvo would give a fuck that his child just died..... he didn't

To be fair I can see the game's workings are well designed, and the art is all great along with the flexibility and options available to you.
I kept on comparing it to the brilliant Deus Ex, in Deus Ex even though you can't upgrade everything you can upgrade most of it. And you feel like a badass at the end, near the end of Dishonoured I was only able to upgrade a few powers. Both Dishonoured and Deus Ex seriously need a new game +.
*I'm not even bad at stealth games it's just that Dunwall is stressful to navigate.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
Dark Vision kinda ruins the game, in my opinion. I would avoid that power if I were you. It's a lot more intense and immersive without Dark Vision. DV makes the game... uh, too gamey? for my taste. DV neuters the appeal of sneaking around, in my opinion. I want the thrill of trying to remember where each guard is going, and doing trial and error runs, I don't want a highlighted easy mode.

If you like challenge, Dishonored isn't going to satisfy a hankering for a challenging game. Even on hard, it's not tough, but the power fantasy and trying to make each encounter as varied as possible by trying new combinations of items and powers, can keep it very fun and fresh. At least, for one playthrough. I didn't find it remarkable enough to be worth much more than maybe one slow, deliberate playthrough and a second crazy, madman kill everything playthrough (which goes really quickly). I'm hoping the new DLC is good--the challenge maps got old pretty fast, game is too clunky for fun score attacking, or maybe it was just me.

I would suggest not doing a full stealth, no kills run your first time, nor a full on madman. I think the game plays best when you mostly sneak, but have to deal with getting caught, or sometimes feel compelled to brutally dispose of some particularly nasty people. In other words, use all your items and powers and don't abuse save scumming. The game is best when you're constantly having to improvise.

It is very true that the game isn't very good outside of aesthetics (technically speaking, it is a bit ugly), world building and the gameplay. Its story, characters and some of its lore are poor and entirely forgettable. If you need a good story to get you through a game, look elsewhere. This game's Pros are all in the gameplay column. The world is interesting, but mostly nothing in the world is interesting, if that makes sense, beyond the "seeing what's around the next bend" factor.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Skylare said:
Hello,

So i recently purchased Dishonored on Amazon for $30 new(should be getting it on Thursday). I have heard great things about it, but i want to know what this community thinks about it!
Well after I voted I see that 250 people have voted and about 220 liked it. I guess its a "yay" vote overall.

Hmm... its occurs to me that this is how games should be rated in terms of people's opinions. A simple binary choice which results in a percentage based whether someone likes it or not. No schemes out of ten or any such nonsense. Based on this style, Dishonored is sitting near 90% on the scale.

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
I thought it was fantastic. As I played through it, I kept noticing all these tiny little bits of detail and things that were lovingly attended to. The world is super fleshed out and really cool to explore and learn about, the atmosphere is wonderfully cool and the visual style is quite interesting.

The gameplay itself is outstanding as well. A lot of games advertise multiple ways to do things, but I always feel like they are pretty forced, and not actually as diverse as they seemed. Basically like a 2 or 3 option system. In Dishonored, I always felt like going about the level in a different way actually mattered from the top down, and there were actually loads of diverse and different ways that you could go about completing the level. In just one level, I counted about 20 unique different ways just to get into one building.

All of the different pieces of equipment and supernatural powers look and feel good and useful, but none of them are required. I actually felt like no matter what I picked I wasn't being punished or rewarded for anything, and that no particularly strategy was any better than any other. There aren't really any true measures of judgement other than completing the mission, so I felt like no matter what I did I was playing the game right.

Even the combat is super fun. The simple stab-block-counterattack mechanics actually work really well, they look awesome and feel really good, and the equipment and weapons you can use alongside feel great in a stand up fight too. You could easily play the game just running through stabbing everything screaming HAH-HAH like Roberto -I called this run Corvo Insano- or go full stealthy, or a mix of both and I feel like playing organically and not save scumming is actually really easy and fun to do.

TLDR: I've played the whole game through many thorough, well paced times now and I am still super excited about playing more of it. It's an awesome game, you'll enjoy it.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I just picked it up two weeks ago and definitely in the liked it crowd. Yeah the narrative is a bit cliched but it doesn't detract from anything.

I'm going to echo what trenchcoat said above (because it's what I did) make the first play-through was as organic as possible. Then go nuts in whichever way you desire. I went on a stabby, rat summoning murder spree now I'm working on a ghost run when feel I have the patience for it.

I didn't feel it was too short. It introduces the world, gives you plenty to explore and doesn't outstay its welcome or drag on at all. I suppose it can feel short if you're going for a straight-up kill your way through the front door approach but if that's all you do then you are missing out.

I replayed Dishonored immediately. Still haven't picked up Deus Ex: HR for a second run through.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Chalk me up as a member of the "Eh, it's okay, I guess" squad.

I suck at first-person stealth. I've always sucked at Thief and the original Deus Ex, and the only hidey-stabby-shadows-y games I can manage with some efficiency tend to be part of the Splinter Cell series. Third-person perspective allows me to more or less deduce the actual field of view of most enemies via a few informed guesses, whereas I kind of hated the way Corvo's limited field of view left me counting down seconds and making sure my approach was as close to flawless as possible.

That and, well, the storyline's setup punishes you for sucking at first-person stealth. You lost patience but don't feel like save-scumming? Suck it, EEEEBIL ENDING FOR YOU!

Then there's the "textures" side of the design specs. I'm not necessarily expecting ocular intercourse-levels of visual fidelity, but I'll admit the style others called "painterly" came across as smudged and rather low-budget to me. As for the design itself, though? Loved it. Steampunk whale oil with a dash of H.P. Lovecraft? I might not be in love with the end result, but I can certainly understand its appeal.

It's just that I keep reflexively checking my video settings to make sure I'm not running on Low. I'm not, and the end result is rather underwhelming.

Otherwise, my one beef with the storyline is that Arkane apparently figured that throwing exposition and rapid-fire world-building at you would trigger some sense of player agency. It didn't, at least not for me.

Game: "OHES NOES! Empress Jessamine got herself murdered in the face and the kid's gone! Not only that, but you've taken the fall and you're off for REVENGE!"
Me: "Oh, okay. Oh, look! There's Brad Dourif and Lena Headey phoning it in for their paychecks! Sucks, Brad. I liked you better as my personal perennial late nineties Large Ham: Saavedro, from Myst III: Exile."

So I finished it. Do I care to undo all my hard work just so I can take a gander at the evil ending? Nope. I'm done. It lasted a weekend, and I frankly don't see the reason behind certain elements in the frighteningly huge heaps of praise being lobbed at it. It's an okay game, it certainly isn't the Best Thing Ever in the History of Ever.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
The story is "meh" and characters are bland and only little interesting, and I still replayed that game twice. It's really fun to play, feels and moves great and the areas are visually pretty gripping. There's a nice amount of enviromental storytelling too.
One of my favorites last year.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nah, it felt like a poor imitation of all the games they were copying from. I got it the same time as Xcom EU, and have barely touched it, I'd rather play any Deus Ex game (even IW) or Chaos Theory.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I had to force myself to play Dishonored through to the end. I hated the way it entices you with all kinds of lethal weapons, only to penalize you for using them. The morality system is bunk. The stealth mechanics are shallow. The writing and plot are underwhelming. The magical abilites are overpowered and misimplemented. And it was waaaaaay too short for the price.

Strangely enough, I'm one of the few people who seem to have been impressed with the graphics. I liked 'em a lot. The setting and environments weren't too bad either, at least for the first third of the game.

I thought RAGE was a much better experience, so take my opinion of Dishonored with a grain of salt.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
I enjoyed it a lot, but I have two complaints:

1: It's short. I finished it in about 9 hours I think and that was a no kill game.

2: The game gives you a bunch of really cool ways to kill your opponents and then punishes you with a bad ending if you kill too many people.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
bloody fantastic. really enjoyed the gameplay (even if enemies don't tend to look up) and i loved the 'moral choice' system, where is not choices you make, but based on how you played the game. apparently i'm alone in liking the moral choice system, but that's not the point...

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
It's no Assassin's Creed 2, but it's pretty good.

Like Assassin's Creed 1, however, it clearly holds the potential to become something as magnificent as Assassin's Creed 2.

I very much look forward to the sequel.

My biggest complaint would simply be that it's just too short. I beat it 3 times in 2 days. The first time took me a day and some change as I went through the game super slowly, and then the 2nd two I just blasted through in no time.
The party mission, for example, I can now blast through in just a few minutes...

Granted, the first time through I took the time to murder EVERYTHING, and the second two times I never killed a thing, so that makes a fairly major difference to game time.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
It started of really strong and went downhill really fast. The first few real missions were fantastic, offered a lot of variety and side content but about halfway through they got more linear and boring. Which is especially glaring because the game is not very long. I was kinda dissapointed.