Poll: Do Girls Need Pickup Lines

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's really easy for girls to attract guys, all they have to do is just show up and stand around.

Mercurio128

Jan 28, 2010
Kagim said:
If they were trying to pick me up yes.

I don't like ditzy people and my view of attractive isn't the norm.

As well it actually all depends on the general ratio of boys to girls. If the girls vastly out number the men then the system would be reversed. As there are less of one sex in the environment the sex that outnumbers the other has to try harder to get them...

So... If there is 20 women for every man then the women would be more likely to have to try picking up men and vice versa. The sex that has choice generally tries less.
But this doesn't help account for the fact that in any given situation with equal split between male and female the men are the ones expected to make the first move.

I've always thought that the way it works now socially is pretty unfair in terms of risk.

If a girl goes out with a mind to finding someone then they just get dressed up and stand around until someone comes to them, then they get to choose to accept or reject. the only risk is that no one you find attractive approaches you.

For men the only way to meet women is to make the first move, the only problem is that this comes with the risk of public rejection (which can range from a gentle let down to a catastrophic public scene if the woman is feeling vindictive).

It's like playing a game were you can win or lose but the other competitors can only win or draw.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
No, and honestly I don't think pick-up lines are effective for anyone. I think it's the way the person presents them self upon introduction.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Any pickup line from anyone is great as long as it's witty and original, not like those lame ones on the internet everyone's read 8999 times.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
nin_ninja said:
Me and a couple of my female friends were looking at funny pickup lines on the computer and I noticed a couple of ones for females. I asked my friends if they ever used pickup lines on guys and obviously they hadn't. It just makes me wonder if its harder for men to attract women then vice-versa.

wow you really have to ask?

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Pick up lines don't work for either sex, so no, women don't need them, just like men don't. They never work. I can't stress that enough.

Yes, it is harder for women to pick up men, because men expect to be given the lead role. It's just that they hardly ever have to do the picking up; instead they make the men want to pick them up. Which works well unless they have a serious physical problem like obesity, or if they're restricted by religious behaviours and beliefs that regard wearing attractive clothing or generally being sexually uninhibited as low.

It's just the way things have been, in majority terms, since the beginning of written history. Feminism and equality drives are comparatively new, and have yet to truly hit the great masses in any undiluted manner. These new norms still conflict with great biological resistances that affirm our base gender roles.

I think that one day women will be able to be as forthright and direct with "picking up" men, and men will be able to respond to that by taking the opposite role for the evening, without it causing a mess. Some are already doing it, and I applaud them for that, even if it does generally create awkward social situations or go nowhere.

Ungenericteen

Feb 1, 2010
Sir Kemper said:
Doubtful, However, as i am No expert on this, let's ask the Pyro, Pyro?

Pyro: Haunk yao, Hurmph Hurmph Hurra Hudda Hurda Hmmpph No.

Thank you Pyro.
now we need to ask Gordan
Gordan:..........
Thank you Gordan and Pyro, but really girls neeed just really flirt, if you have a crush an a gamer or someone of that mindset I.E. A guy who needs you to say that you like him on every news channel, to even think "maybe she likes me"

lizzielizzie

Dec 24, 2008
As someone who has long loved nerdy/geeky guys who are, by and large, disinclined to approach a woman, I had to make the first move a LOT. I only went after guys I didn't already know a couple times, and we were at a nightclub with a niche clientele, so asking the cute goth guy what band played this song I love dancing to was sufficient. The guys I knew, I just appealed to their special form of geekdom. I'll admit to making more than a few double-entendres involving hard drives and RAM, maybe the occasional weapon-related one with the video game or sci fi flick fans. (OK, a lot more than a few...I'm a pun lover, and a bit of a perv.) So yeah, pick-up lines may have played a small factor, but never as an initial approach... more of a 'seal the deal' or 'I'm into you, jackass' closer.

As for classic 'pick up lines'... honestly, I've only ever busted out the really cheesy one-liners on guys I was already involved with when I wanted to jump their bones. Still do, much to hubby's amusement.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I've never been in a situation where a pickup line would seem appropriate.

Nor do I know any.

I tend to just try to get to know girls in much the same way as I do with guys. "So how do you know [person]?" and so on. "Oh right, so do you study... work? Oh cool, I did that for a bit..."

Yeah.

Girls and pick-up lines...

I've had a couple of odd ones from lasses to be honest, but generally it's when people're pretty drunk. Myself Included.

Slightly off-topic, I suppose, I my friend Lewis' pick-up line which is entirely for comic effect (to be read completely deadpan and monotone):
"Have you ever had sex with a machine because it's like having sex with me because I'm a sex machine."

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Furburt said:
What? A girl says so much as hello to me and I'm already in love with her.

No, they don't need it. And yes, it's a lot harder for men to get girls. Why? Well, obviously this isn't the only reason, but for some reason, there's a pervading idea that men find hard to get sexy.

No, we don't. We find it annoying and condescending. If you genuinely like us, tell us. Please.

I wish girls were allowed to ask guys out as far as 'the rules' go. I've always had to ask my girlfriends out, never the opposite way around.

We need equality.
yeah, I have a problem of falling for a woman really fast too. women have a social advantage over men, which blows... and why females SUCK. At my school all of the males have difficulty getting girlfriends due to various flaws. while the girls are either stuck-up, snooty, high manteniance (typo fail >.<), or have ridiculous standards.

unfortunately this includes my friend (which I'll reassure again I'm MADLY in love with), she prefers strong, brave, and charismatically handsome men, which I am WAAYY off from. soo, I vouch for you buddy.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Men are trained by society and evolution to throw themselves towards women, they don't need any more encouragement. So no, I don't think that girl's need to use pickup lines.

Plus, I've had conversations with girls about how they think it's awkward to approach guys (for no particular reason except for societally imposed gender roles).

Con Carne said:
Girls don't need pick up lines. They use pick up gestures. A wink, a coy smile, a properly placed hand on the knee etc.
Yeah, that's really the most they'll ever need to do (and they won't even really need that). Let's face it, guys are even more useless than normal when faced with a seductive girl.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I'm not sure. Girls need pickup lines as much as guys do, but I'm not sure guys need them. I (a guy) wouldn't use a pickup line- I'd rather just strike up a conversation about something.

armaina

Nov 1, 2007
Pickup lines are... rather stupid. Honestly unless you're trying to make a lame joke out of it, it never really works.

Best advice, don't act like a creeper. Also, be honest, relax, be yourself.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Nobody should be using pickup lines. They're all painfully cheesy, forced and fake.

The best thing to do is just start a conversation and allow the flirting to come naturally. Flirting is fun when its easy and natural and then it has a chance of actually leading to something.

But in answer to the question, no, girls don't need pickup lines to get most guys. If they really want can just walk up and say "wanna have sex?" Which is an opportunity most guys would jump on. Not that it ever happens, but I'm just saying.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
No one needs pickup lines, male or female. Fact is, they don't work 90% of the time, and when they do it's because they're so obviously terrible the recipient realizes you have a sense of humor, and is attracted to that.

And by "pickup line," I mean anything other than a simple introduction.
Agreed.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
Nobody needs pickup lines. Even if a suave and handsome guy walks up to a lady who's receptive, a pick-up line isn't going to help him out at all (although it probably won't harm him as much as it would a guy in a less ideal situation).

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I have 2 pickup lines:

1)"Wait till you taste my cooking." (works with men desperate to eat something that actually tastes good).
2)"I have breasts, you don't."

My 3ed is "can I touch your hair," but that usually creeps men out.