Poll: do headshots in FPSs matter?

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Calibanbutcher said:
It appears to me that the Sydney Sleeper is a support gun, which afflicts the target with a jarate effect, which can be very useful for your teammates and make you a great pillar of support to your team.
Then you clearly are just desperately trying to justify it, because with any of the other rifles you could kill any enemy in one in less than the time it takes just to apply the jarate effect, never mind the fact that that doesn't even necessarily cause them to die afterwards.

Look, let me break it down for you:
Sniper rifle = instantly kill anything if you can headshot, even fully overhealed heavies.
Sydney sleeper = Bodyshot for reduced damage, and apply an effect that may not even be at all useful, and that the enemy can recover from.

Protip: Actually killing an enemy is significantly more useful to your team than just damaging them, killing them quicker (headshot) is even more useful as it removes them from the fight quicker reducing the enemy damage output and survivability as it allows your team to more easily focus enemies, and requires more skill. If you're using a Sydney Sleeper, you're not 'supporting your team' as well as you could be with the other rifles.

Christ, the wannabe smartarses on this forum. Try harder next time.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
In TF2 people shouldn't care. If you have such ineffectual support that nobody is taking out these snipers who are zoomed in for that long to 1 hit kill you then somebody needs to get on that or you need to stop walking into big red dots.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Headshots a) take more skill (unless you're shooting something with a larger head than body) and b) do more damage. If headshots mean you have to spend less time getting shot at, that's good. If it takes three bullets either way (body shots just managing to kill and headshots having dealt more damage but still taking three) it doesn't make any difference. They're both 'legitimate'.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
If the headshot causes more damage, then yes, headshots do matter.
If the same amount of damage is caused regardless of where the bullet hits, however, then no, headshots don't really matter.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Yup. I can't think of any game where they don't matter. Headshots do higher damage and usually lay out a target in one hit. Now if it takes two bullets to drop them (weaker gun or w/e) then body shot is more practical.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah it seems like a reasonable idea. The head is one of the harder body parts to hit so a instant kill headshot makes sense to me. That said, it's questionable as to how far the idea should be ported to sniper rifles. On Battlefield 2, it's very frustrating to hit someone with a body shot from a bolt action sniper and watching them run to cover before you can get fire off another shot. With sniper rifles, you should probably make upper body shots insta-kill, and for regular weapons just make head shots instant-kill.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
gnihton said:
Calibanbutcher said:
It appears to me that the Sydney Sleeper is a support gun, which afflicts the target with a jarate effect, which can be very useful for your teammates and make you a great pillar of support to your team.
Then you clearly are just desperately trying to justify it, because with any of the other rifles you could kill any enemy in one in less than the time it takes just to apply the jarate effect, never mind the fact that that doesn't even necessarily cause them to die afterwards.

Look, let me break it down for you:
Sniper rifle = instantly kill anything if you can headshot, even fully overhealed heavies.
Sydney sleeper = Bodyshot for reduced damage, and apply an effect that may not even be at all useful, and that the enemy can recover from.

Protip: Actually killing an enemy is significantly more useful to your team than just damaging them, killing them quicker (headshot) is even more useful as it removes them from the fight quicker reducing the enemy damage output and survivability as it allows your team to more easily focus enemies, and requires more skill. If you're using a Sydney Sleeper, you're not 'supporting your team' as well as you could be with the other rifles.

Christ, the wannabe smartarses on this forum. Try harder next time.

Let me modify my initial statement:
It is a great asset for someone new to sniping, who has yet to learn the ropes since it allows him to practice whilst also supporting the team, which would otherwise suffer from a team-member being an unskilled sniper, which this way gets to practice his/her aiming skills, whilst being able to support his team with bodyshots should things get too heated up for him/her to adequately take aim on the opponents heads, ensuring that the shots he/she lands still help his team along.
Better?

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Calibanbutcher said:
It is a great asset for someone new to sniping, who has yet to learn the ropes since it allows him to practice whilst also supporting the team, which would otherwise suffer from a team-member being an unskilled sniper, which this way gets to practice his/her aiming skills, whilst being able to support his team with bodyshots should things get too heated up for him/her to adequately take aim on the opponents heads, ensuring that the shots he/she lands still help his team along.
Better?
In summary: It compensates for lack of skill, which is half the point of this thread.

Giving yourself a benefit isn't going to improve your aim, so while it may be more useful to people that are effectively useless anyway (and even then hardly at all), it prevents them from being actually useful in future.

Besides, this is about headshots and whether or not they're good, why are people bringing a non-headshot item into the topic, and worse, defending it.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
headshots generally do more damage and in a lot of cases are an insta-kill, though if your rifle is powerful enough, body shots can do the trick in most cases as the body is the largest target mass and easiest to hit. Headshots require finesse and an ability to predict movement.

To me, headshots are awesome, but they aren't too much a make or break thing for me.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
gnihton said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Better?
In summary: It compensates for lack of skill, which is half the point of this thread.

Giving yourself a benefit isn't going to improve your aim, so while it may be more useful to people that are effectively useless anyway (and even then hardly at all), it prevents them from being actually useful in future.

Besides, this is about headshots and whether or not they're good, why are people bringing a non-headshot item into the topic, and worse, defending it.
You know what?
I don't even care.
You cleary have a different viewpoint on the matter and trying to convince you to see things differently seems like too much effort. And this item was brought up, because in a discussion about the benefits of headshots, one must also discuss if maybe some other benefits outweigh headshots in some games.
Again, I could not care less.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Dethenger said:
In a game like Halo where you get a maximum 24 shots with a Sniper Rifle, instakill headshots count. The difference between a headshot and a bodyshot is the difference between 1/24 of your ammo and 1/12. Even with the midrange weapon that usually dominates Halo (Pistol, BR, DMR), it usually takes 3 body shots to 1 headshot (provided you've popped their shields). So yeah, in that case, it matters. This is also the case when sniping in Bad Company 2, especially if you're using a bolt-action rifle. You've essentially got one opportunity to get the kill, because unless you're playing against an idiot, or have caught the person out in the open, by the time you're ready to fire another time they've taken cover.
Since I mostly play those 2, it's ingrained in me. In games like Call of Duty, I'm less critical about getting a headshot, but that's not to say I don't try. Bodyshot kills feel a little cheaper because I ultimately didn't hit what I was aiming for. I don't care about getting more kills, I care about being proficient with my weapon.

That's me personally, I don't give a twopenny fuck about other people bodyshotting. It's perfectly legitimate, if at times ineffectual.
And Bad Company and Battlefield 3 add the incentive of marksman points for headshots, 1pt/m. If you only get bodyshot kills, you won't be able to keep up, scorewise, as a long range sniper. I always feel mad when I get a tag hit at 1000m shots-it means my next shot has to hit the head or I miss out on most of the points.

OT: I think he apologised 'cause he figured it was a cheap kill. Headshots are the way to go, if you can get them-they guarantee the kill. But they're harder to get. Bodyshots are less sure, but easier to get. It all depends on the style and the timing.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
In TF2 the more professional snipers, and the groups and clans, have an unspoken law about headshots. I used to be good enough to compete with them, and "bodyshotting" was an insult. Both as in shooting someone in the body, and calling someone a "bodyshotter". It was like a code of honr. It was pretty cool. Then I didn't play for three months and I could never snipe again. Just kind of a fickle talent thing. But if you're a damn good sniper, or a TM clan or something, you have respect on the battlefield. And also hate, rage-hate because no one can ever get close to you in Harvest.

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Calibanbutcher said:
You know what?
I don't even care.
You cleary have a different viewpoint on the matter and trying to convince you to see things differently seems like too much effort. And this item was brought up, because in a discussion about the benefits of headshots, one must also discuss if maybe some other benefits outweigh headshots in some games.
It's not a viewpoint, it's a bloody objective fact, a headshot from a sniper in any situation whatsoever will do more than a Sleeper bodyshot, that's not up for debate, it's a simple matter of one number being bigger than the other. 1.5 > 1, you're trying to argue that 1 > 1.5.

Also, loving the butthurt over the double fail smartarse attempt. Could've just admitted you were wrong you know.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Technically, Headshots are better as they usually are an instant kill in most games and usually a more satisfying method of executing enemy players. Plus it's cool to see yourself get 150 kills on TF2 in one game solely from Headshots. :p Though bodyshots are generally the norm by which you defeat other players so realistically it doesn't matter where you shoot as long as you beat the other team/players.

Evil Smurf said:
I was playing TF2 this Afternoon and I was killed by the sniper, the kid who killed me in one shot then apologised; I asked why he apologised and he said he bodyshoted me. Pursuing this further I said it was a legitimate tactic because it killed me. He said he wanted a headshot.
You said he apologised? Maybe he felt remorse at the fact he didn't give you a clean death with a bullet through the head and that you had to bleed out on the middle of a wooden bridge/in the centre of an industrial complex/in a gorge/in a mine shaft/etc whilst having your team mates run past fighting for their lives/dropping like flies. War, War never changes. :p

PrimitiveJudge said:
It depends, Headshot shall always be instant kill. However if body shot was made then it would have to be a heart shot. That guy who sniped you lied to you, he head shotted you, their is not heart shots in TF2.
Actually headshots in TF2 aren't always an instant kill. Many a time, I've had to place two bullets in a Heavy or Soldier's head as the charge wasn't high enough and they kept bobbing in and out of view. Also bodyshots are possible if you have a full charge on the sniper rifle. 500 dmg ftw!

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Nile McMorrow said:
Actually headshots in TF2 aren't always an instant kill. Many a time, I've had to place two bullets in a Heavy or Soldier's head as the charge wasn't high enough and they kept bobbing in and out of view. Also bodyshots are possible if you have a full charge on the sniper rifle. 500 dmg ftw!
A) A fully charged headshot does 450 damage, so is always an insta-kill aside from maybe Dalokahs + Medic heavies.
B) A fully charged headshot does 450 damage. Needless to say, a bodyshot does not do more than that.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
gnihton said:
Calibanbutcher said:
You know what?
I don't even care.
It's not a viewpoint, it's a bloody objective fact, a headshot from a sniper in any situation whatsoever will do more than a Sleeper bodyshot, that's not up for debate, it's a simple matter of one number being bigger than the other. 1.5 > 1, you're trying to argue that 1 > 1.5.

Also, loving the butthurt over the double fail smartarse attempt. Could've just admitted you were wrong you know.
What I was trying to argue was 1 > 0, because a succesful bodyshot is still better than an unsuccesful headshot.
Cue me telling you that the Boston Dormer is a good weapon for beginners who want to try and practice a bit.

This was your summary, whilst I clearly added, that it compensates for a lack of skill, thus enabling players to learn said skill WITHOUT being nothing but a nuisance for their team.
New players can not be relied on to perfectly headshot everything all the time, so this weapon might allow them to practice headshotting, whilst also enabling them to partake in a more heated firefight, durin which their skills will not allow them to accurately headshot an enemy any more.

Which is basically what I said in one of my posts, had you actually bothered to read it.
But then again, I guess my butthurt must have gotten in the way of something or other, oh the horror, pain and somethinge, oh god I shall perish before your mastery of something, words fail me for I quiver in fear, yada yada, yada.

More detailed version:
Woe is me for I persish before my mighty foe, how was I ever so foolish as to stand before an enemy of such magnitude, oh had I but known what destiny had in store for my, I had given it my all to avert fate's merciless gaze for I am but a mere mortal where you are clearly a God who walks amonst men, praised be thy wisdom for thou art's the sun, the heaven and the stars for eternity evermore, whilst I must live in the shadows unflinchingly ruined by thy presence.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
gnihton said:
Nile McMorrow said:
A) A fully charged headshot does 450 damage, so is always an insta-kill aside from maybe Dalokahs + Medic heavies.
B) A fully charged headshot does 450 damage. Needless to say, a bodyshot does not do more than that.
Yes, a Fully-charged headshot will instant kill pretty much anything in TF2 (which is strange as since it does 450 dmg it should insta-kill a Heavy being healed by a Medic but never seems to) however a headshot that isn't does not always cause an instant kill as I specified before. Also I didn't specify how much damage a fully-charged body shot does. Instead I was referencing the crit number that I most enjoy seeing whenever I headshot a piss-stained Jarated enemy. And for your information it is possible for a Fully-charged bodyshot to insta kill certain classes that have low enough health namely all the support classes and one of the defensive and offensive classes.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Headshots are a skill that should be promoted. Bodyshots are your sign of inaccurate fire but if all you care about is winning then by all means do that.

I don't play to win, i play to perfect my technique. Beating other people is for amateurs, beating yourself is for professionals. Thats why i judge my performance on my leaderboard stats and previous scores.

Saying all that though i don't really like using sniper rifles at all...they are a cheap, fun destroying kill. I'm all about rifles and high accuracy/headshots...you get a fair chance to kill me and that adds to the thrill. No danger, no excitement

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Nile McMorrow said:
however a headshot that isn't does not always cause an instant kill as I specified before.
It does, with the exception of Dalokahs heavies, but they basically don't exist.

Nile McMorrow said:
Also I didn't specify how much damage a fully-charged body shot does. Instead I was referencing the crit number that I most enjoy seeing whenever I headshot a piss-stained Jarated enemy.
You explicitly said that your bodyshots did 500 damage. Maybe you meant the Machina though, I'm not sure of the damage on that.

Nile McMorrow said:
And for your information it is possible for a Fully-charged bodyshot to insta kill certain classes that have low enough health namely all the support classes and one of the defensive and offensive classes.
I never said they didn't.