Poll: Do soundtracks matter to you in a game?

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Most of the time not as I play in the living room and somehow my wife does not appreciate the constant sounds of gaming :). Yet sometimes a games comes along like Child of Eden, and then the answer is: 'Hell Yes!'

Sensenmann

Oct 16, 2008
It depends. If I'm on my first playthrough I'll use the game's soundtrack, because it's part of the aesthetic. If I'm playing a driving game, it's my music, because the music defines how I drive.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
A good soundtrack can be just as important as good graphics, gameplay or story.

OoT, guitar hero, tropico etc wouldn't really work without their music tracks. Sure, a lot of games could work without an audio track, but it's most certainly noticeable when there's a bad soundtrack.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
WARNING: This post includes comments which may make you feel negative emotionally if you are deaf or suffer from hearing disabilities.

I know some people might say it doesn't, but even to them soundtrack matters, it just does subconciously. If you don't believe me, make it concious by cutting the soundtrack out of a game completely. In a lot of the cases you will notice that this makes it far less immersive. But why limit this to soundtracks? Sound effects and other sounds are also important. TF2 for instance has no music ingame, but the noises of the weapons and the one-liners from the characters really make the game come alive and you'd miss so much of the fun with mute on or speakers off.
Even leaving the sound away can have a drastic effect, like when there's a soundtrack at all other times, but it's just snipped out in some graveyard level. It gives the game a real sense of loneliness and hollowness amongst the graves. Sounds are simply the spice of games and are part of what can make an experience have so much impact.
And I'd like to finish naming an example of an awesome soundtrack, which would be Bionic Commando (2009). Now, I can't really qualify that statement, because I'm not really good with psychology related to music, but for me swinging through the city, shooting from the sky with the game's ridiculous, over-the-top patrioatic action music did make the experience incredible for me. The title screen has this classic piano piece which makes you feel like you're floating (or swinging on a grappling hook so to speak) and there's this bit in the middle which isn't of any importance at all, but has the only piece of Heavy Metal with spoken dialogue in the game.
That's pretty rare by itself outside of Devil May Cry clones (from what I understand), but that 5 second piece of song just made me feel so in sync with the action-packed situation, yet
was in a lull so it wasn't trying too hard to be dramatic; it was just for the sake of the music (the creators probably liked that song I suppose). Whatever, the case, you can say what you like about Bionic Commando, but the music is fantastic and most definately the best I've ever heard in a video game.

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
Depends on the game that I'm playing, but I do like games that have a good soundtrack. I would'nt stop playing a game if it did't have a good soundtrack, but I do think that good soundtracks can make the game a better experience.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
When I finished Halo for the first time, the thing that had really stood out to me was that the soundtrack was freaking awesome. Sure, all the other stuff was cool, but damn, that was a sexy soundtrack.

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
Games like Alan Wake, The World Ends With You, Borderlands and Silent Hill 2 wouldn't be anywhere near as awesome if their sound tracks hadn't been as amazing as they were.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I find music to be very important, it can sometimes set the mood and can spice up gameplay and make it that much more enjoyable.

The Dynasty Warriors series are among my favourites, placing classical Chinese music and more modern rock/metal music while charging around the battlefield fighting off hundreds of enemies. Larger battles have more epic sounding music, uphill battles usually have more sombre and depressing music that sounds evil, but changes to more fast paced and happy music when you finally gain the upper hand.

Then of course there is the peaceful and calming music that plays while reading the encyclopedia and especially during the ending narrations in Dynasty Warriors 5.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
hell yeah i rekon

i think Music is the best thing in a game i love Uncharted 3's beta music

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
I'd say 'yes'. Poor music can really break the experience of an otherwise enjoyable game, but I wouldn't say that the music in a game should be of the highest of standards. Sure it'll be very nice if the music in a game was of that high quality, but just as a game would break on very poor music it wouldn't be made by very good music in my opinion.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Hell to the yes. Many amazing soundtracks really helped the game to become as iconic as they are today. Mario for example, everyone knows that tune. MGS, shadow of the colossus, the elder scrolls, final fantasy, zelda, halo.

All of them amazing soundtracks, and I've missed out quite a few there.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Tyzamar said:
Yeah the guy above me...OoT pretty much nailed it. And who wasn't super pumped up when you got to this part in HL2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHUhxfgJqQ
Welp, looks like I'm gonna be "that guy" again. *resigns self*

Me. I wasn't pumped at that bit. I think it sounds very generic and unmemorable, like Beyoncé. Same goes for all of HL2's action tracks, except Apprehension and Evasion. HL2 is the only game I play my own music to - 6 hours of Muse, to be precise, in a loop, because losing the game's own music is no great loss.

(...Plus, it makes Ravenholm less scary that way. Brr.)

OT: Music is very important. In all applicable media, I pay attention to the soundtracks - usually, the better the OST, the more I enjoy the work in question. The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2009, Halo, Tron: Legacy, Heroes, Homeworld, Doctor Who, and Star Wars all come to mind.