Poll: Do we nice guys still stand a chance?

V3x

Sep 15, 2010
Do anyone here honestly believe that the kind of girls that prefer bad apples would admit it?

Or those that consciously believe they don't, but subconsciously do?

There are so much chemistry at work in situations like these, and I don't think any human being have the kind of self insight required to be able to rationally explain or answer the OP's poll correctly.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
There is a huge gap between girls who like bad boys and girls who like nice gentlemen. And i fall for all eternity in the gap between them, alone.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Veloxe said:
manythings said:
Confidence. Nice and nasty are not a factor (except when a girl is specifically looking for it, then it's probably daddy issues which involves drama you don't need) so don't let movies and tv tell you how to try and get a woman. You'll be led astray. TALK to a woman, don't be nice, don't be a jerk, JUST TALK. Be honest about what you like, tell her what you think. If you have to lie then the relationship will break on that point later on.

Confidence. If you are afraid to be you in front of a girl she'll think you're just afraid of girls. Also, cause it bears repeating, Confidence.
See, this has always confused me, why is it that "niceness" and "shyness" are apparently interchangeable in these kinds of discussions. Where if someone is "nice" they will automatically shy away from any straight up discussion and therefor lack this "confidence" I keep hearing people say attracts women. I never really see it because being confident and having a strong opinion doesn't mean you have to abandon nice to show it or discuss it with members of the opposite sex. It just means you're less likely to be a douche and pull the "No, you're wrong and your opinion is retarded!" brand of argument.
Saying confidence is politer than saying "Man the fuck up!"

But seriously, Shy and Confident are pretty contradictory. If you aren't willing to be out there then you aren't going to be seen as a man. And yes women like to date men and they only care about their definition of a man.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
If nice means "Never making any sort of advance and counting on the other to initiate anything," yes.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
First, there isn't a problem with being a "nice guy". I'm a nice guy and I've managed to land plenty of girlfriends over the years. The problem is that what most people mean when they say "I'm a nice guy" is "I'm meek and timid". Were I to lay out a few simple rules to help people, they'd look something like this. Most of them are obvious:

1) Don't wait for someone to ask you out because you'll be doing quite a bit of waiting.
2) If you are friends with "the perfect girl for you", don't worry about destroying the friendship if you ask them out. The friendship boat already sailed; the best thing to do is, once again, ask them to transition to a new kind of relationship.
3) Don't worry about getting told no. It happens a lot. The damage of a rejection is mild and temporary. Just think of it as narrowing the field of possible soul mates rather than a fundamental rejection of your worth as a human.
4) Be interested in the person you're dating. If you honestly don't care about what kind of day they had, it's probably time to move on.
5) There is no "right place" to meet someone. Particular types of places will tend to attract particular kinds of people which may help with initial vetting.
6) If possible, hold a lengthy conversation with any candidate before asking them on a date. This helps both of you figure out if the other is the sort of person they want to spend more time getting to know. Simply walking up to a woman and asking for a date will rarely go well.
7) For maximum success in asking women out on a date, don't do anything elaborate. Suggest a public place that fosters conversation and leaves both of you with an easy avenue of exit. This is why "coffee dates" are so popular.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Every time I see these threads I think that whilst I'm "technically" a nice guy I'm also a bit of a prick and not all that nice to people I don't like.

The problem is that most nice guys want bad girls. I know I want a ***** that looks good in black leather, and of course looks like Power Girl.

Being a lazy fat manchild however, I get to console myself with the myth that nice guys never get the girl rather than actually put any effort into getting one.

Crimbo23

Jan 19, 2011
i had the exact same problem, except that my bestfriend was the jerk to the girls, so all the girls i liked went for him, dont get me wrong i love him dearly (in a hetrosexual kinda way) but he kept stealing the girls i liked. but now 2 years later all the girls that classed me as the nice guy and the friend are starting to come to me, one actually called me the perfect guy because of my friendly manner, so dont fret man, it'll happen :)

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Veloxe said:
manythings said:
Confidence. Nice and nasty are not a factor (except when a girl is specifically looking for it, then it's probably daddy issues which involves drama you don't need) so don't let movies and tv tell you how to try and get a woman. You'll be led astray. TALK to a woman, don't be nice, don't be a jerk, JUST TALK. Be honest about what you like, tell her what you think. If you have to lie then the relationship will break on that point later on.

Confidence. If you are afraid to be you in front of a girl she'll think you're just afraid of girls. Also, cause it bears repeating, Confidence.
See, this has always confused me, why is it that "niceness" and "shyness" are apparently interchangeable in these kinds of discussions. Where if someone is "nice" they will automatically shy away from any straight up discussion and therefor lack this "confidence" I keep hearing people say attracts women. I never really see it because being confident and having a strong opinion doesn't mean you have to abandon nice to show it or discuss it with members of the opposite sex. It just means you're less likely to be a douche and pull the "No, you're wrong and your opinion is retarded!" brand of argument.
I agree with this guy. I still have a pretty strong opionion and I'm not afraid to discuss things or whatever, I'm still nice.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Confidence, my friend.

The people who often say that "nice guys lose" are referring to nice people who simply lack confidence. In which case, that's kinda the truth. However, you can always fix confidence, so not all hope is lost! Gain some confidence (easier said than done, I know), and then you'll be fine.

It's worth noting that my girlfriend complains about other girls ignoring nice guys when I think that it's a load of bull. World is slowly turning upside down.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Nerf Ninja said:
Every time I see these threads I think that whilst I'm "technically" a nice guy I'm also a bit of a prick and not all that nice to people I don't like.

The problem is that most nice guys want bad girls. I know I want a ***** that looks good in black leather, and of course looks like Power Girl.

Being a lazy fat manchild however, I get to console myself with the myth that nice guys never get the girl rather than actually put any effort into getting one.
Maybe a little bit of this...

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
A lot of women I know really seem to stick to the guys who treat them like shit, don't ask me why.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'm a nice guy, so to speak. i have not been a douche to any of my girlfriends, and have not been in a relationship that lasted less than a year at least, and my current one is going well.

if you be a douche to woman, you are a douche. if it somehow works, you are a douche with a woman, thats the only difference. be yourself, there will be a girl out there somewhere for you

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
Come on.
I think you "nice guys" need to take some responsibility here. Nice guys don't get passed up for jerks IF they are interesting and engaging. I bet nice guys who are interesting get lots of attention from girls. You have to consider the possibility that the nice guys who are complaining about getting passed up for jerks are just not interesting to the girls they are trying to date.

"Nice" is so subjective anyway. If you're a guy who thinks, "Yea, I'm a nice guys," chances are everyone else think you're a bore. "Nice" is one the most uninteresting and light adjectives to describe a person, it's what you say when you can't think of anything else to say. It's not enough to be just "nice," you have to be interesting and probably a lot of other stuff too. If "nice" is the prevailing word people associate you with, face it, you are probably not very interesting, and that's why girls pass you up.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Nerf Ninja said:

And that is the hardest i've laughed today, epic lulz indeed. You get a cookie.

That rings a lot truer than some guys would like to believe.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Nice as a word itself is kind of interesting.

It originally meant foolish or stupid. Then it changed meanings to timid or delicate, then precise or careful, then vaguely agreeable to just plain "nice" now

You sure you want to be all that?

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Ladette said:
Nerf Ninja said:

And that is the hardest i've laughed today, epic lulz indeed. You get a cookie.

That rings a lot truer than some guys would like to believe.
Oooh! Nummy F'taghn munch!