Poll: Do we nice guys still stand a chance?

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
RaikuFA said:
did you read where i was bullied by female teachers, stood up by pranksters, accused of rape, cheated on and emotionally abused?
Yes, and the internet is jut a brilliant place to act out the effects of such treatment, because we all here care so very, very much.

Get yourself some therapy.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
its not the guys fault, its the women. they only care about looks
Fuck off you sexist ****. Yeah, all women only care about looks. There's absolutely no problem with that statement. Oh wait, there are many, massive problems with it.

1) You just generalized half of the planet. Good job asshole.

2) Looks, are important. Can you honestly say you'd date somebody horribly ugly. No, you're just as shallow as the rest of us.

3) Men care about looks too. It's not specifically for women.

God, and these are the kind of people that call themselves nice. I sincerely hope you're trolling, otherwise you've got one sad, pathetic life ahead of you.
yeah you dont know about me. just go away and watch a lifetime movie
I ain't watching that shite.

And I know enough about you to know you're a sexist asshole.
you havent read anything else besides that post have you?

and you accuse me of generalizing
I've read some of your other posts in this thread. Sorry for not reading them all, there's quite a few.

Anyway, I've read your excuses and they're not good enough. There is no excuse for that. Just because women were mean to you in your life doesn't give you the right to hate them, since I can pretty much guarantee men have as well.
did you read where i was bullied by female teachers, stood up by pranksters, accused of rape, cheated on and emotionally abused?
Yes. I didn't read the part where 50% of the planet did this to you.

Still not an excuse.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Fuck off you sexist ****. Yeah, all women only care about looks. There's absolutely no problem with that statement. Oh wait, there are many, massive problems with it.

2) Looks, are important. Can you honestly say you'd date somebody horribly ugly. No, you're just as shallow as the rest of us.

God, and these are the kind of people that call themselves nice. I sincerely hope you're trolling, otherwise you've got one sad, pathetic life ahead of you.

I've read some of your other posts in this thread. Sorry for not reading them all, there's quite a few.

Anyway, I've read your excuses and they're not good enough. There is no excuse for that. Just because women were mean to you in your life doesn't give you the right to hate them, since I can pretty much guarantee men have as well.

Actually, you're dead wrong, because it does give him every reason to hate them.

It's psychology.
It gives him a reason, it doesn't give him a good or justified one.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Look mac, I am not gonna lie. It is tough. I am 21 and have dated only 2 girls in my 4 years in college, while having dated less than 2 before that. Turning to the dark side and becoming a jerk is a limited time offer. Guys that are jerks around the age of 17 and 20 usually remain that way. I have seen these types of people and I do not like them. Hence, I don't wanna be like them.

There is nothing to do except wait. You are gonna get tripped a lot along the way. And I mean, A LOT. Me, I have almost fallen for a girl, pretty, smart, likes games and is actually looking for a guy like me. Problem is, she is in LA and I am in Greece.

Live your life, get out more, be more confident, meet new people and eventually, it will happen. Don't go looking for it though. It jinxes the whole thing.

And don't change. It makes the rest of us look bad.

May 17, 2010
Flare Phoenix said:
VikingSteve said:
Flare Phoenix said:
VikingSteve said:
Flare Phoenix said:
No, nice guys do not have a chance because apparently they're all on forums bitching about the fact no girl will ever love them. If you want a girlfriend so badly, get off the computer, go outside, and talk to a girl. If she says no, it's not because you are a "nice guy" it's because she's not interested. Seriously, this whole "girls only go for jerks" is so bloody rediculous and just a piss-poor excuse to cradle these self-proclaimed nice guy's ego.
there wasn't any ignorance in this post at all
I can't tell: are you been sarcastic or not?
I'm saying there's definitely ignorance in that post.

Sarkule said:
I'd much rather a nice guy over a jerk any day.
And these threads are getting annoying, not all girls like jerks.
Some of us just aren't super vocal about what we want.
well then get vocal, I'm not a damn mind reader.

Flare Phoenix said:
Sarkule said:
I'd much rather a nice guy over a jerk any day.
And these threads are getting annoying, not all girls like jerks.
Some of us just aren't super vocal about what we want.
The problem is a "nice guy" will focus entirely on one girl and when she doesn't immediately fall in love with him he assumes that means all girls won't like him. It's not that girls love jerks who abuse them, it's often the fact those girls can't tell they're been abused. My sister recently went through it: couldn't see her fiancee was abusing her until after he'd dumped her.
More generalizing. If you mean a certain group of people, say that. Don't just say "a nice guy" because not everyone is like that. I've been in the situation you described, it still happens, but there are nice men that don't fall into that category.
If you notice, I said "nice guy" not "a nice guy". "A nice guy" is just a guy who is nice: he may want a girlfriend, he may be interested in a girl, but he understands if she is not interested in him or if there is no one for him at the moment. "Nice guy" is a soul-sucking creature who believes women should be falling at his feet because he is the only one who will truly love and respect them properly and the very notion a woman would not be interested in him is ridiculous.
Agree here. There is a huge difference between saying women like jerks and nice guys are kind of strange. One is gender which while I do beleive it ahs a affect on personality, it is not chosen. The other is a chosen personna. It is a method of acting in a relationship. It's similar to me saying that "All Blacks are rapists",and then we someone reponds along the lines of "that's silly, being a racist seems to be about being willfully ignorant" and me shouting " You should stop generalising!" That's not how it works

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:

Actually, you're dead wrong, because it does give him every reason to hate them.

It's psychology.
It does. Read my post, I edited it.

If black people beat up some kid every day on his way home from school for 10 years, he's going to hate black people most likely for the rest of his life. It's justified. It may not be healthy, but it's certainly justified.

Go take a psychology class or two and get back to me afterwards.
I get what your saying, but I still disagree. It's not justified at all no matter what happened, it's still an assholish thing to do to somebody, but decrying an entire race or gender because of it is just wrong and never justified. Your point makes some sense, but the word justified is well out of place.

And try not to sound so condescending when you talk to people. It doesn't exactly come across well.

May 28, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
Oh look, it's thi...

What the picture says.

Anyways, some girls like jerks, but most just like guys who are confident. And some like shy guys, and some even like entitled assholes who complain about the friendzone (not directed at the Op, but the amount of guys on this site which pull this bullshit is astonishing.)

The secret you see, is not all women are the same. I know, crazy, but sweeping generalisations of a gender won't really curry you any favours with said gender.

You know, in general that is.

Ninja'd this has not happened to me in a while

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
VikingSteve said:
If black people beat up some kid every day on his way home from school for 10 years, he's going to hate black people most likely for the rest of his life. It's justified. It may not be healthy, but it's certainly justified.

I don't think you quite understand what justified means if you think that.

It's most certainly not justified to hate the many due to the actions of a few.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:

It's psychology. He's exhibiting learned behavior from a dysfunctional environment. It offends you, so what? There's reasonable cause behind his hate and it is justified based on his life experiences. Sure, he could probably change, but I don't think you really grasp how monumentally difficult that task could really be for him.
ive been trying to learn

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Well are you a "Nice guy" or a nice guy. I read a very interesting article and I consider myself neither. I'm not a huge douche or nice i'm just a guy. "Nice guys" may be nice but they want sex, they just won't be douches about it. If you're so interested in the girls that go for the douches I take it they're fairly attractive and you would like to plow them as much as the douchebags do.

As someone said there are plenty of girls out there who go for "Nice guys" and nice guys. Its the way the world works. Get out there and quit feeling sorry for yourself. What I read in this post was "Why do all these douche bags get to have sex with these beautiful women and I don't?" If you're ONLY interested in boinking them become a douchebag and presto problem solved.

I'm pretty sure you're not a nice guy but a "Nice Guy," or else you wouldn't be asking a silly question like this one.

May 17, 2010
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:

It's psychology.

I get what your saying, but I still disagree. It's not justified at all no matter what happened, it's still an assholish thing to do to somebody, but decrying an entire race or gender because of it is just wrong and never justified. Your point makes some sense, but the word justified is well out of place.

And try not to sound so condescending when you talk to people. It doesn't exactly come across well.
Don't worry, it only happens on the internet.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure justified means that someone sees something as okay to do based on what has taken place beforehand. In his case, it is totally justified. Of course he hates women after what's happened to him. He sees it as okay.

Speaking from my own perspective, if someone treated me like shit for 15 years, chances are, I'm going to treat everyone that exhibits behavior similar to that person as the same kind of person. Justified as that's what I've experienced.

Do you agree that justification means as I have defined it? Because if you do not, then I can see why you disagree with me overall.
Don't you beleive justification and understandable are two very different things. Justification inmplies that there is a moral equivalence and reason for the action ie Tom punched me so I was justified in defending myself, while understanable emans that you can be sympathetic to the reasons for the cause of behaviour ie It is understandable that catholics in Northern Ireland would resort to violence.

Of course saying "He feels justified" states that it is his morality rather then your own. Which was the problem I think, it seemed to be that you believed he was right.

ive been trying to learn
Possibly see about seeking out proffesional help. You should try to be as happy as possible and this sounds like it is an impediment for you.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:
Inglip said:
RaikuFA said:

It's psychology.

Don't worry, it only happens on the internet.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure justified means that someone sees something as okay to do based on what has taken place beforehand. In his case, it is totally justified. Of course he hates women after what's happened to him. He sees it as okay.

Speaking from my own perspective, if someone treated me like shit for 15 years, chances are, I'm going to treat everyone that exhibits behavior similar to that person as the same kind of person. Justified as that's what I've experienced.

Do you agree that justification means as I have defined it? Because if you do not, then I can see why you disagree with me overall.
No I don't agree with your definition. For something to be justified a lot more people than yourself have to see it that way.

Put it like this, and before I say it I want to emphasise how much I dislike breaking Godwin's Law, but was Hitler justified.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, I want a "nice guy." But my definition of a nice guy might not be the same as someone else's. I don't mean an all day sucker who lets people walk all over them. I just mean someone who knows how to treat other people with the respect they deserve by just being a fellow human being. Making sure you hold doors for everyone coming through the same doorway as you, not just the ladies. Being respectful towards elderly members of society. This person is not a jerk, but they do know to flip the jerk switch when it's time to stand up for what's right (sometimes standing up for oneself/others can make you look like a jerk for that moment). And while he may not be spoiling for a fight at all times, he shouldn't curl up and cry if he's forced into one. That's just the basics, though.

My mother has a history of hooking up with men who fall in the jerk category for me. Her latest prize is some verbally abusive sneakthief who won't stay out of prison. I don't intend to keep up her legacy of being mentally oppressed by the man I marry, so I'm not going to put up with anyone who is even the slightest bit abusive towards me. I don't know who started this trend of "women always want the bad boy," but I'm not carrying that tradition one step.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
VikingSteve said:
Inglip said:
Put it like this, and before I say it I want to emphasise how much I dislike breaking Godwin's Law, but was Hitler justified.
Ha! You know Godwin's Law... that amuses me.

From his perspective, probably. From mine? Nah.
Exactly. Therefore I don't see him as justified at all.