Poll: Do you agree with the Black Ops Swastika Ban?

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Hairetos said:
Tdc2182 said:
Hairetos said:
Tdc2182 said:
First of all, The Nazi Swastika was exclusive to the Nazis. The Hindu, Buddhist, and Jainist religions symbol only shares a similar look, not to mention that some of them are actually tilted differently.

I don't even know why I am telling people that the Nazi Swastika was mutually exclusive to Nazi Germany. Is it really that hard to make the connection on your own?
Um, yes? Partly because the difference is in the tilt? And most, if not all of them, are simply titled "Swastika", with an adjective prefix denoting the religion. Did you actually read the fucking article, btw?

"Director of Xbox Live policy and enforcement Stephen Toulouse has taken to his blog to make sure that players know they can't use the swastika as an emblem despite its historical significance unrelated to the Nazi party."

It doesn't say "Nazi swastika" and he makes it very evident that any other religious representations of it will still receive a ban, which is part of the debate around this decision, asshole. Peaceful religions should be allowed to use their symbols as they wish.
Yeah, you completely missed the point of what I said. And currently, I don't care to much to repeat myself seeing how I have said it to about 10 other people in this thread alone.

You come tell me when you find the person using the using the Buddhist Swastika. It has been out dated for the past 300 years.
Really? Wanna bother googling it? I googled "swastika use today":

http://www.demotix.com/news/419172/use-swastika-symbol-mongolia-and-north-west-china

"It remains widely used in Eastern religions and Dharmic Religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism."

http://www.porchlight.ca/~blackdog/swastika.htm

"Yes, the swastika still continues to be an extensively used auspicious sign in Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism."

Then I googled "swastika outdated"

I got nothin'.

Maybe you should check before you make blanket statements about people's usage of religious symbols.
I'll actually give you that one because I didn't exactly clarify the certain Swastika which the Nazis picked up which became outdated.
Do you know which symbol they derived it from? Because I'm sure I can find someone who uses it today.

EDIT: Aww, I'm on the ignore list I guess. Mature.

AKmontalvo

Nov 19, 2009
Rubashov said:
AKmontalvo said:
Rubashov said:
AKmontalvo said:
Iwata said:
If you ban the swastika, then you also have to ban the hammer and sickle, no if's, ands or buts. Double standards much?
Except for the hammer and sickle wasnt exclusive to Stalin or the USSR the way the swastika was to the Nazis so there is an if/and/but. Its the symbol of the labor party (the proletariat) , focused on by Karl Marx's design of communism which had nothing to do with stalin or the Soviets when it was created (they didnt even exist at that time).
That's not really a fair objection. The swastika was a Hindu symbol when it was originally designed, and the Nazis (to echo your comments about the hammer and sickle and Stalin) did not even exist at that time. So the hammer and sickle is tied to the Stalinist era of the Soviet Union to roughly the same degree as the swastika is tied to Nazi Germany.
Its absolutly fair, as far as symbology is concerned the two images are seperate each having distinguishing featers that differentiate the two (very similar but still seperate images).

The French flag is similar the the Netherlands flag but the two do not represent the same thing.
The swastika in the following image is not a Nazi swastika; however, as an image, it is indistinguishable from one, and would as such be banned under the Black Ops policy. So no, the two images are not separate from each other--at least not any more so than the hammer and sickle of (for example) Rosa Luxemburg and the Spartacists is distinguishable from the hammer and sickle of Josef Stalin.

You missuderstand me, the historical community recognizes them as seperate symbols with seperate histories (though one is dirived from the other)

back to Black Ops, they dont wanna consult on whether each player is using one symbol or another (for reasons that your picture illustrates), so they are taking up the polocy of 'if it looks like a dog, its a dog' which doesnt seem unreasonable it would take to much time and manpower to do it any other way

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I agree with the ban because it's not about what the Swastika originally symbolised, it's not even about what it stood for in the 1940's, it's about what it means now and what statement people are making when they choose to create a Swastika and display it as a clan tag.

Are people really so naive that they think people displaying a Swastika in Black Ops could really be:

Have not fear, this guy is probably just a peace loving Buddhist waving to his friends (you can tell he's a Buddhist because he has a shaved head like Buddha with an ancient Buddhist symbol).

Don't fret, this is probably just some guy getting a Hindu haircut.

Ignore the large gun this gentleman is wielding, but note the Swastika on his shoulder. This probably means he's a peaceful Jainist and so wouldn't wish harm upon anyone.

It's perfectly obvious to Microsoft and Treyarch what the people displaying the Swastikas are trying to symbolise, i.e. they're either a troll or a White Supremacist, which both things that are forbidden by the Terms of Service for X-Box Live, a private network where no Freedom of Speech or expression exists.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
mitchell271 said:
Iwata said:
If you ban the swastika, then you also have to ban the hammer and sickle, no if's, ands or buts. Double standards much?
the hammer and sickle is, however not offensive. if a man got a hammer and sickle tattoo on his forehead, some people might think it is offensive but if he gets a swastika tattoo, he will beat up, put on newspapers and burned at the stake. there is a reason that germans like to pretend 1939-1945 did not exist
The hammer and sickle is banned in several Eastern European countries because of its associations with the Soviet occupation. Clearly at least some people consider the hammer and sickle quite offensive. The question, therefore, ultimately comes down to 1) whether or not it is ethical for someone to ban something simply because someone could find it offensive, 2) whether the number of people who could find it offensive is somehow relevant, and 3) whether or not it is appropriate for the State to stop someone from banning something on a platform they rightfully possess. My intuitions on these three questions are:

1) No.

2) Perhaps, if it ever were ethical to ban something because of its offensiveness, this factor would be relevant; as it is, no.

and

3) Absolutely not.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
AKmontalvo said:
You missuderstand me, the historical community recognizes them as seperate symbols with seperate histories (though one is dirived from the other)
But Treyarch/Microsoft, apparently, does not. And anyway, why is it that viewing the Nazi swastika and the Hindu/Jain/Buddhist/etc. swastika as separate symbols, despite their being in many cases indistinguishable, is somehow more justified than viewing the Stalinist hammer and sickle and the anarcho-communist/left-communist/Trotskyist/etc. hammer and sickle as separate symbols, despite their being in many cases indistinguishable?

back to Black Ops, they dont wanna consult on whether each player is using one symbol or another (for reasons that your picture illustrates), so they are taking up the polocy of 'if it looks like a dog, its a dog' which doesnt seem unreasonable it would take to much time and manpower to do it any other way
Perhaps. But they could use the same logic to justify banning the hammer and sickle--they don't want to have to consult whether each player is using it to represent the desire for a stateless society in which all things are held in common, or using it to represent the desire to go kill some Cossacks.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Personally, I'd rather they banned vulgar emblems from Black Ops.
But I don't mind about the Swastika being banned. I neither agree, nor disagree.
I just want people with vile emblems to get the hammer as well >.>
Define vile?

other than that, Yes of course I agree. I respect a persons right to express themselves, but the swastika is a symbol that is inextricably linked to the genocide of 12 million people, and to allow it to be used is not only horribly insensitive, but also a terrible business decision that could offend an entire religion of potential customers.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
astrav1 said:
Tdc2182 said:
astrav1 said:
Tdc2182 said:
Iwata said:
No, that is completely overthinking it.

The question is this; Are you fine with the Nazi Swastika being in the game or do you want it taken out?

There is no thin line. It is a purely black and white decision.

I'm sorry, but racism should not be allowed in any form whatsoever. You are the ones that sit back and let people promote hate. If you're not against it, then you are with it.
Says the man with the avatar of a baby smoking. Don't you know that kid could die from it? Also I will say it: You need to grow tougher skin.
Why should I grow tougher skin? Who's gonna tell the assholes like you that they are being assholes.

I'll paraphrase something for you.

"All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."

Try taking that to heart.

*Like I said, my kid is old enough to make his own decisions.
So you are calling me an asshole because I believe things shouldn't be censored?
No, I'm saying you are an asshole for saying that the Swastika should be allowed to be flaunted in a video game.

Seriously, get off your high horse and try actually thinking about the topic at hand. You see the word "Censorship", and you immediately shoot it down without thinking "Oh, maybe censoring a Swastika might not be a bad thing after all"

Edit: Also, you clearly and deliberately tried to troll me. I don't understand how you couls possibly think that you aren't being an asshole?
I should get off MY high horse? Right back at you Troll. The Swastika may be a horrible symbol but it is still something that does not physically hurt anyone. That clearly means it should not be censored. Seeing as Microsoft makes people agree to do so, they have all the right to censor it. Speaking of censorship, what did you think of Disney trying to put Little Sunflower from Fantasia in the memory hole?

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
Meh, I am on the fence about this. I see why it was banned, but how do you choose which symbols are to be banned and which are to be excluded?

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Swastikas, impromptu genitals and Hammers/Sickles are pointless and dumb. That being said I am against the ban, if it helps separates the creative from the shallow and unimaginative then all the better.

Go for it, I'll be laughing my ass off at you.

Mr Scott

Apr 15, 2008
The whole thing is really interesting that in the isolated work (the game) the swastika figures in heavily. On the open forum (massive multi-play) it is banned what could be the motive?

AKmontalvo

Nov 19, 2009
Rubashov said:
AKmontalvo said:
But Treyarch/Microsoft, apparently, does not. And anyway, why is it that viewing the Nazi swastika and the Hindu/Jain/Buddhist/etc. swastika as separate symbols, despite their being in many cases indistinguishable, is somehow more justified than viewing the Stalinist hammer and sickle and the anarcho-communist/left-communist/Trotskyist/etc. hammer and sickle as separate symbols, despite their being in many cases indistinguishable?

Perhaps. But they could use the same logic to justify banning the hammer and sickle--they don't want to have to consult whether each player is using it to represent the desire for a stateless society in which all things are held in common, or using it to represent the desire to go kill some Cossacks.
1st one: They certainly dont, lets agree on that. As for your second point your asking me like im the one making these decisions; i can certainly see your point but thats over my head as to why, perhaphs because the hammer and sickle more or less all promote a similar idea whereas the swastika of nazi germany's connotation is vastly different from the connotation of the symbol ot was dirived from, but again, thats just my thoughts on why that may be

2nd one: I'd imagine they got less complaints about hammers and sickles (or something along those lines) Possably because the hammer and sickle (lets face it) doesnt seem connote its violent history as strongly and the swastika. That and the swastika is still used as a rally icon for hatred and violence today among groups such as the AB KKK and Neo-Nazis, the hammer and sickle isnt used to such an extent

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
astrav1 said:
I should get off MY high horse? Right back at you Troll. The Swastika may be a horrible symbol but it is still something that does not physically hurt anyone.
I guess I'll say I'm sorry, Ive literally been in an argument with about ten people on this one thread alone. I'm of the minority apparently of people who think that things that represent racism, anti-antisemitism, etc. should be made illegal. And yes, I realize that is an extreme view. I accept that.

Speaking of censorship, what did you think of Disney trying to put Little Sunflower from Fantasia in the memory hole?
I have no idea. I never watched it.

evalyn

Sep 30, 2010
I missed out on some super awesome debater action, it seems like. :(

Forgive me if I repeat someone's post-- but quite honestly, I can't be assed to read pages 2-7.

Mega awesome super +1 to Rubashov's post, both for remarking on the Soviet symbology and for the point on the ethics of banning "offensive" materials. Given that we're discussing a game where you are praised for slaughtering people over and over ad nauseum, I'm not sure it's appropriate to approach the "offensive" argument in anything short of a marketing discussion.

On that point-- I think it's worth noting that any symbols or actions Treyarch decide to censor will be considered "offensive" by the greatest majority possible. Note that, additionally, Treyarch is a business, trying to sell a product to the greatest majority possible. Maybe I'm a cynical bastard in regards to the operations of businesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if their actions were done less as an ethical approach to symbology, and more as a business strategy. Or, to put it simply: Treyarch's customers got pissed off, so Treyarch is taking action to save their little moneybags.

That said: my views on censorship have less to do with the appropriateness of the action, than the consistency of it. I like the concept of free speech-- but I wouldn't be complaining if the Cross symbol (an instrument for painful execution, and the representation of a religion that has, historically speaking, participated and started some of the bloodiest conflicts the world has seen), the Swastika (by and large understood-- whether fallacious or no --to be representative of a political party that did a whole crapton of nasty things), and the Penis (just kind of "icky") were banned from public usage.

But I find it somewhat annoying that a person will advocate for the censorship of something they personally find offensive (such as the Swastika), without advocating for the removal of items they somehow consider "less" harmful (such as the Sickle/Hammer)-- despite others find them just as bad, if not worse, than the first item.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
YuriHellsing said:
o so u can't have a swastika but you can have a women holding open her asshole
There is an infinite number of offensive symbols that can be made. As long as there is a single player left in BO, there is room for him to be creative and depict something that can offend someone else.
"If you do this, you must do that" is a shoddy argument. They took action against swastikas because they are extra offensive to a large body of people. It is a symbol that represents genocide and hated, based on birth. And it is used by many, and is an easy thing to rule out.

To thread in general:
I'm perfectly fine with this, because:
1. The schwastika is offensive to some people. Very offensive.
2. Sod off with it being hindu. Yes, you are right, it is, but even if you are Hindu, you know what that symbol means to people. You can be pseudo intelectual all you want and say "But look at wikipedia!" but fact is, most people think nazism when they see that symbol. And then it doesn't matter that there is more history behind.
3. Freedom of speach don't mean squat here. XBL is a privately owned platform. You don't have the right to exercise idiocy on XBL.
4. It's an emblem. On a small card. In a multiplayer component. Of a game. It means: NOTHING.

evalyn said:
I missed out on some super awesome debater action, it seems like. :(

Forgive me if I repeat someone's post-- but quite honestly, I can't be assed to read pages 2-7.
Meh, don't worry. Neither did I. but we do run the risk of someone comming and yelling ZOMG ALREADY ANSWERD DAT!

evalyn said:
Mega awesome super +1 to Rubashov's post, both for remarking on the Soviet symbology and for the point on the ethics of banning "offensive" materials. Given that we're discussing a game where you are praised for slaughtering people over and over ad nauseum, I'm not sure it's appropriate to approach the "offensive" argument in anything short of a marketing discussion.
There is no such thing as universally true ethics or morals. Therefore, there is no way we can make an argument by saying something is "unethical". Of course, the good old "...in my oppinion" changes everything. But ethics and morals are not something one should present as arguments, for they are simply not universal in nature.

evalyn said:
On that point-- I think it's worth noting that any symbols or actions Treyarch decide to censor will be considered "offensive" by the greatest majority possible. Note that, additionally, Treyarch is a business, trying to sell a product to the greatest majority possible. Maybe I'm a cynical bastard in regards to the operations of businesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if their actions were done less as an ethical approach to symbology, and more as a business strategy. Or, to put it simply: Treyarch's customers got pissed off, so Treyarch is taking action to save their little moneybags.
Of course. They are a business. However, if we were to be truly idealistic, and look out for the minorities, we would ban everyone on XBL. There will always be someone who thinks somethig is offensive. Pleasing the majority is the only realistic approach, and should weed out the worst things. Besides, the schwastika is something special; i don't think we have any other symbol that can represent as much evil as that can.

evalyn said:
That said: my views on censorship have less to do with the appropriateness of the action, than the consistency of it. I like the concept of free speech-- but I wouldn't be complaining if the Cross symbol (an instrument for painful execution, and the representation of a religion that has, historically speaking, participated and started some of the bloodiest conflicts the world has seen), the Swastika (by and large understood-- whether fallacious or no --to be representative of a political party that did a whole crapton of nasty things), and the Penis (just kind of "icky") were banned from public usage.
I don't disagree, but would simply like to add that free speach does not apply to XBL. Censorship is perfectly fine, we are not entitled to anything, we have no rights.

evalyn said:
But I find it somewhat annoying that a person will advocate for the censorship of something they personally find offensive (such as the Swastika), without advocating for the removal of items they somehow consider "less" harmful (such as the Sickle/Hammer)-- despite others find them just as bad, if not worse, than the first item.
Why shouldn¨t they? That is the thing they understand. I will never be able to understand the emotions a jewish person may feel when looking at a swastika. Therefore, I simply never considered complaining to Treyarch about the swastikas I had seen. Swastikas do not offend me, and thus I don't really think about the fact that they might others. I am willing to bet that you wouldn't either, had ther enot been this discussion. The discussion forces us to think, but who many of us honestly think about what others might find offensive, on our own with no provocation?

I hope I made myselv understandable. Watching Desert Bus has robbed me off sleep.

evalyn

Sep 30, 2010
Longshot said:
4. It's an emblem. On a small card. In a multiplayer component. Of a game. It means: NOTHING.
They came first for the Racists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Bigot.

Then they came for the neo-Nazis,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a neo-Nazi,

Then they came for the Misogynists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Misogynist,

Then they came for the Trolls,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Troll.

Then they came for me,
and nobody was left to play BlackOps anymore.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
evalyn said:
Longshot said:
They came first for the Racists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Bigot.

Then they came for the neo-Nazis,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a neo-Nazi,

Then they came for the Misogynists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Misogynist,

Then they came for the Trolls,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Troll.

Then they came for me,
and nobody was left to play BlackOps anymore.
While I understand that you are probably joking here, I have to point out: That is what we call a slippery slope argument. And it is not proof of anything. These "One thing leads to another" are merely assumptions, and unless one has other arguments to back it up with, it will never be more. There is nothing that prevents Treyarch from banning swastikas, and then never ban anything else, ever again.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I'm pretty much on the fence on this one. Censorship is a real drag, but its also a drag to use an emblem that offends people, and maybe Xbox gamers could use a little polish on their reputations. Doesn't anybody have manners anymore? Is the FPS all just about being a jerk?
And that brings me to another point: isn't Black Ops about killing your enemy? Hardly a place to expect people to behave with any human decency. And wouldn't it be more fun if your enemy was some ignorant, crass half-wit with a swastika emblem?