Poll: Do You Agree With "Yahtzee's" Reviews?

Schneizel

Apr 26, 2009
When he reviews a game I have, or I get a game he's reviewed, I've never found him to be wrong. He and I might differ on how tolerable the aspect is but I've come to rely on his reviews - and I do consider them reviews, because they tell me in advance what to expect of the game, I don't know why some people don't consider them reviews, but then I don't know why some people consider marmite to be acceptable as food either - because I seem to have the same taste in games and what makes them enjoyable or not as his reviewing persona, just with greater emphasis on RPGs. Knowing in advance if something is going to irritate me into rage-quitting is very useful.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Where the poll option "Its just entertainment?"

He does make alot of good points in his "reviews" and im using the term loosly. However, many of the things he dislikes arent game breakers. When Yahtzee puts a video up i expect the game to get a good smack about. It's all in good fun. The guy doesnt hate games or else he wouldnt do what he does.

I mean its not like the only thing he ever plays is Portal.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I don't watch them as reviews, I watch them to laugh at an angry man rip the shit out of games. I go elsewhere for actual reviews.
I'm with Cpt_Oblivious on this one...

Although, I probably agree about half of the time if you really want an answer

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Generally, I find Yathzee making criticisms that I myself have made of the same games. Every so often though I find that I disagree completely with his opinion. No big deal though, it's his opinion and as a reasonable adult, I have my own. Mostly I just watch to be entertained for a few minutes.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I agree with almost everything he says, but I usually think his complaints are too nit-picky.

Glen Morangie

Sep 3, 2008
On the EVE review I agreed with him in many ways, but he did miss out on a lot. He tends to be accurate in his comments and I would describe his points as an accurate critique. I find that my feelings on the EVE review were similar to his other works.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
I think if you had "Reviews" in quotations instead of "Yahtzee's" in your thread title, that would be pretty much what I think.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
He brought up the flaws in Mass Effect 2 I tried to bury deep in my psyche, but did it in the least invasive way possible.

He also bashed Far Cry 2 in the most cathartic way possible.

SO, Yahtzee, I'd tip my hat to you... if I had one.

AngelBolt

May 8, 2009
To be honest, the idea of consumer reviewing is so despicably hilarious anyways, I don't pay attention to them. Concerning Yahtzee, I like the concept, the writing is, at the very least, consistent, and I'm assured a critique, not a review. I get more out of it. He has a good style and sense of voice that emphasizes that it's his opinion based on his experience, and I must admit he analyzes the games better than any preteen on 1up.com.

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
He's not always playing Portal - he can also be found playing Saints Row 2. A game I never looked twice at, that I picked up used on Yahtzee's review, and I'm very glad that I did.

Aside from that specific instance, I've found his reviews to be quite accurate. I think a lot of the problem with the 'he's too nitpicky' crowd, is they simply don't get his reviews.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
I consider him to be a legitimate reviewer. Just because he's funny doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to an opinion that is taken seriously. I actually think that he's better at what he does than IGN has been lately...

I agree with him maybe around 60-70 percent of the time. He is way too harsh to JRPGs though.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I agree with many of the points he makes about a particular game's flaws, but when it comes down to what we consider fun, our opinions differ significantly. For example, I hated No More Heroes with a fiery passion and considered Half-Life 2 to be mediocre to the point where it confused me.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
I normally agree with the points he makes, but not on his opinion of the game. That's normally the formula.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I think he's very insightful.

I disagree with him quite a bit, but I still find him insightful.

He's also hilarious.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Neonbob said:
I don't consider them reviews. They are entertainment for me.
Sure, they can bring up good points, but all he really does is point out bad things in games.
This works for him because he can make it funny.
I occasionally disagree with things he says, but I take it in stride.
Amnestic said:
I agree with him when he espouses a viewpoint which I am in line with.

I disagree with him when he espouses a viewpoint which I am not in line with.
Thanks...bein all eloquent n' shit.
:p
Saves me the trouble.
25,000 posts?! My god man you have a lot of time on your hands.

I watch them for the jokes, not as a good source of game information.

25,000... damn.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I don't watch them as reviews, I watch them to laugh at an angry man rip the shit out of games. I go elsewhere for actual reviews.
Exactly. I don't trust most reviewers to tell me what is good and what is crap, because I have found myself both agreeing and at odds with them too many times. No matter how professional they seem, personal opinion will always rear its ugly head at one point, and opinions tend to vary too much.

I only watch/read reviews for entertainment, nothing more.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I don't watch his videos as reviews. They're more like comedy, so that's how I watch it. Therefore, I don't really take note of his opinions all that much, although if he does say something that I agree with, I'll probably think "Oh, I agree with that" inbetween bouts of chuckles.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i would say i agree with him about 90% of the time. however, he focuses on all the bad stuff in the game so he can remain funny. so these are not really "reviews" in a literal sense, they are more of him ragging on the bad stuff he finds in a game, i generally assume that whatever he doesnt touch on either isnt worth mentioning, or is not bad

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Jester Lord said:
25,000 posts?! My god man you have a lot of time on your hands.

I watch them for the jokes, not as a good source of game information.

25,000... damn.
This is a thing I know.
And I've explained how this site has possession of my soul several times.
I don't think it's wrong to want to be around my soul as much as possible.
I'm still kind of fond of it, after all.
[sup][sup][sup]HELP ME THEY'VE GOT ME IN THE BASEMENT![/sup][/sup][/sup]