Poll: Do you care about "flag burning"?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:
It seems mostly pointless. I think it's basically a way for angry people to vent without actually doing anything harmful (or useful).

People who get offended should keep in mind that it's just a piece of cloth that's being burnt, instead of, you know, a human being.
It's more than just a piece of cloth, it's a symbol; and by burning said symbol it's basically like saying "fuck you" to the nation the flag represents.
Uh, yeah, so? People aren't allowed to say "fuck you" to our nation? We've certainly earned plenty of "fuck you"s.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
dyre said:
It seems mostly pointless. I think it's basically a way for angry people to vent without actually doing anything harmful (or useful).

People who get offended should keep in mind that it's just a piece of cloth that's being burnt, instead of, you know, a human being.
if its just a piece of cloth......then why are they burning it? Oh, that's right cause its a symbol. And the people burn flags for the opposite reason others salute it.

Your logic is flawed.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:

It's more than just a piece of cloth, it's a symbol; and by burning said symbol it's basically like saying "fuck you" to the nation the flag represents.
Uh, yeah, so? People aren't allowed to say "fuck you" to our nation? We've certainly earned plenty of "fuck you"s.
And other countries are blameless and pure as the wind driven snow, right?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
girzwald said:
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:

And other countries are blameless and pure as the wind driven snow, right?
I have nothing against people burning other countries' flags either...

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
girzwald said:
dyre said:

if its just a piece of cloth......then why are they burning it? Oh, that's right cause its a symbol. And the people burn flags for the opposite reason others salute it.

Your logic is flawed.
Burning a symbol harms who exactly? If one of your relatives or loved ones died from a symbol being burnt, then I wholeheartedly apologize.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:

So nothing. I was just saying that flags are more than just "pieces of cloth." as you put it.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:

So nothing. I was just saying that flags are more than just "pieces of cloth." as you put it.
Come on, man, read context. I was clearly pointing out that burning objects is completely harmless, and we really shouldn't bother with people for doing so when we live in a world where some people destroy human beings, not just flags.

Halfstache

Feb 3, 2012
US Flag Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8:
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker?s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

kinda funny how so many people go apeshit over flag burning when it is the proper way to destroy a flag.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Burning the flag has all of the significance of flipping someone off.

Oh no. /sarcasm

And it's about as mature as flipping someone off.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
I don't think I would be offended if somone set my country's flag on fire, but I would definitely not be indifferent about it. I think my reaction would be something like "Wha, why did you do that? Ok, ok, slow down - what did we do to make you this angry at us?"

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Being Canadian, I've never seen a Canadian flag being burned EVER, whether it's in real life, on the news, a picture on the internet (although I'm sure if I actually Googled that, I'd probably find one, because hey, it's the internet!). Honestly, flags don't really mean anything to me, so it wouldn't really effect me to see one being burnt. I just roll my eyes at flag burners, because really, what are they trying to accomplish here, I mean come on. But no, it doesn't offend me.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Burning a flag is a form of protest. I may not like it or agree with it, but I believe in complete freedom of speech, and even people whom I disagree with can have valid ideas.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
If its my flag from GoW 3 id probably be a little pissed.. but at the same time why are you in my house burning my things? other than that couldn't care less.. its the same as burning a pillow case to me.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I honestly get realllllyyyy aggravated at the act. Not because of the protest, but if a citizen of a country burns that countries flag, you better be damn sure you have a damn good reason to do it. A simple protest should not have a flag burning. A large protest against the government shouldn't have it. When a revolution is needed, that's when the flag should be burn in protest.

To put that in simpler terms, flag burning to me is renouncing everything about the country, since the flag is a symbol of the whole country and what it stands for.

Also, for the people saying 'Oh, hur hur, they burn it to destroy it', well yeah, but its in a MUCH different aspect. A respect for the flag is what that is, making sure that if the respect of the flag is broken(i.e., the strict rules), it wont continue to fly, and be disposed of properly. At least thats my interpretation.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I do take offense to flag burning, It's like calling a black man "a dirty ******" or a brown person "a paki bastard" except you're saying it to an entire country. I'm from the UK, I also object to the burning of anything that represents a culture so koran burning, bible burning, poppy burning is offensive. I'm not personally offended by bible or koran burning because I'm not a muslim or christian but it is disrespectful.
What? No it isn't. Those are other terms are discriminatory and have baggage behind them. Burning a flag protests what the nation is doing. Burning a Koran or Bible protests the ideas they stand for.
I didn't say flag burning was the same as burning religious texts.
Okay. Drop the religious part and that still leaves my issue with saying it's the same as a racial slur.
I personally feel that flag burning is as offensive as a racial slur.
Alright, I personally feel that makes as much sense as wearing a shoe on your head. Presumably there should be some logic behind it, but apparently not.
I love posting my opinions and watching them get ripped apart. Why can't I be offended by flag burning?
I love posting something reasonable and having people twist it to mean something else.

Let's get some things straight.
1. I did not say that you could or could not do anything.
2. I am objecting to the comparison between flag burning and racial slurs.
3. I made no comment on being offended by flag burning itself, only on the comparison.
Alright, I'll rephrase my question why do you find it so un-logical that I find flag burning as offensive as a racial slur?
One is discriminatory, backed by a very negative past including violence and serious consequences.

The other is merely a gesture against the government of a nation and its actions.

One is a personal affront to people, the other is a comment on their feelings towards a government and how it's acted.
You say that flag burning is a gesture towards the government, I see it as a gesture against the people of a nation. Because of this I get as offended as someone that has been the victim of a racial slur.
That makes little sense since people burn their own flag. Thus they clearly mean it as a message against the government. It would make no sense as a message against themselves.
I am pretty sure their are numerous times when a group of people from a different country have burnt another countries flag, and meant to be offensive against the differing country as a whole not just its government. For example when extremist Muslims refer to America as "the great Satan" I don't think their just speaking about the American government, and following that logic if they burnt an American flag....

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
TheVioletBandit said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I do take offense to flag burning, It's like calling a black man "a dirty ******" or a brown person "a paki bastard" except you're saying it to an entire country. I'm from the UK, I also object to the burning of anything that represents a culture so koran burning, bible burning, poppy burning is offensive. I'm not personally offended by bible or koran burning because I'm not a muslim or christian but it is disrespectful.
What? No it isn't. Those are other terms are discriminatory and have baggage behind them. Burning a flag protests what the nation is doing. Burning a Koran or Bible protests the ideas they stand for.
I didn't say flag burning was the same as burning religious texts.
Okay. Drop the religious part and that still leaves my issue with saying it's the same as a racial slur.
I personally feel that flag burning is as offensive as a racial slur.
Alright, I personally feel that makes as much sense as wearing a shoe on your head. Presumably there should be some logic behind it, but apparently not.
I love posting my opinions and watching them get ripped apart. Why can't I be offended by flag burning?
I love posting something reasonable and having people twist it to mean something else.

Let's get some things straight.
1. I did not say that you could or could not do anything.
2. I am objecting to the comparison between flag burning and racial slurs.
3. I made no comment on being offended by flag burning itself, only on the comparison.
Alright, I'll rephrase my question why do you find it so un-logical that I find flag burning as offensive as a racial slur?
One is discriminatory, backed by a very negative past including violence and serious consequences.

The other is merely a gesture against the government of a nation and its actions.

One is a personal affront to people, the other is a comment on their feelings towards a government and how it's acted.
You say that flag burning is a gesture towards the government, I see it as a gesture against the people of a nation. Because of this I get as offended as someone that has been the victim of a racial slur.
That makes little sense since people burn their own flag. Thus they clearly mean it as a message against the government. It would make no sense as a message against themselves.
I am pretty sure their are numerous times when a group of people from a different country have burnt another countries flag, and meant to be offensive against the differing country as a whole not just its government. For example when extremist Muslims refer to America as "the great Satan" I don't think their just speaking about the government.
It's kind of hard to tell what they're talking about in particular.

But honestly, I'd imagine they're mostly upset about US actions in their region.
Well the buildings they flew planes into were filled with civilians, most of the Americans they have captured and beheaded on their little videos were civilians, and they have no problem suicide bombing civilians. All this leads me to believe they dislike Americans not just the American government. It's actually a pretty obvious conclusion that their flag burning is meant to insult the nation as a whole, yet your trying to deny this for some reason.