Poll: Do you care about "flag burning"?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
While non-violent protest is fine and all (and necessary at times), when someone burns a flag it honestly looks like they are sending the message: I want to burn your/our country.

I guess if I saw it happening I would be bothered by it but then I would realize that they have probably been wronged in some way by this country or its leaders.

GmonXyZ

Mar 3, 2012
I think everyone should start burning flags, instead of going to war.

It'd save billions in 'defense' _and_ boost the global economy like nothing else ever could.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Burning the British flag is particularly confusing, since we don't salute it. If you want to offend the British, burn the Queen.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Oh no, someone is setting fire to something I didn't design, have no real ties to beyond being born somewhere with no choice in the matter.

Help, please. Police!

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Nah, not really, for all i care you can wipe your ass with my country's flag if your'e out of toilet paper.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Craorach said:
Flags are important, they are like a badge that marks us as part of a nation when we wear it.. which is why it annoys me to see the union jack plastered over random clothing, same with other nations flags. Historically, they were literal rallying points for armies, rebellions, freedom fighters and other disparate groups.
To me, that sounds like a list of reasons to not care about them or what happens to them. I think a strong sense of national identity can cause more problems than it solves, and if the only practical use for something is in warfare, well, then it would be best if we didn't need them at all.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
OK, honestly? Flag-burning in itself doesn't really bother me. If they want to set a piece of cloth on fire, go for it.

The problem is what's behind it - burning flags is an act of war. The people you're seeing there, burning your flag? They're will to kill you. Not because of who you are, not because of what you've done, but simply because of where you come from.

Absolutist, racist warmongering.

I might have burned flags for a joke as a kid (I didn't, but I could have if I'd felt like it) but it wouldn't have meant anything. Kids will do stupid shit, and I've done stuff I personally consider to be worse than setting a flag on fire.

What bothers me is the declaration of war. That you're going down. Because someone really hates you that much, through no fault of your own. I haven't lived a pristine existence, but if anyone wants to get mad at me for my involvement in their suffering, it should be 10-year-old Asian sweat-factory workers, not some zealot with a chip on their shoulder.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I think that anyone who makes such an issue over it has their priorities screwed up. It's a dyed piece of cloth, for Pete's sake. Concentrate more on solving the cause than on what type of rags they're burning.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I don't feel that flags are the best symbol of America I always felt that to truly express your ire at a country you burn there currency, so i would go up to those burning flags and offer them 100$ and tell them to truly protest America burn a stack of those, I'm pretty certain they wont.

They might just mug me for the money and run but that's beside the point.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
The symbol is not the thing.

I think we often attach far more importance to symbolism than reality.

Burn as many flags as you want.

Before getting outraged about burning flags, maybe pay a bit more attention to actual laws and policies of your country and maybe get outraged about them instead.

But mostly, I just find it absurd. "Oh... I'm mad at you , so I'm going to burn your flag" Stand there, watch flag burn. "Oh yeah, take that!" I've never felt like that would mean a thing to me.

Nor have I ever felt the opposite. "Oh noes! There's someone burning the flag of my country! I am now outraged at them!" I more see flag burnings as an opportunity for China (or whoever mass produces flags and sells them to countries that like to burn them) to make a few bucks.

Then again, I also don't get the fervor of sporting events, which I find very similar. Hey, it would be cool if the Lakers got another Championship. But I've never cared enough to say, yell at a television. Much less to go burn some Mavericks merchandise.

TL;DR Flag burning stirs zero emotions in me besides a mild curiosity about what the people burning the flags are getting out of doing so.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Burn it along with all the other symbols of division. Countries aren't special, they're nothing more than the evolution of our tribal nature, imaginary lines in the sand drawn so we can say "keep out this is ours" like a child hoarding sweeties.

The way I see it we can come together as a race and surpass our ancestors in every way, or we can learn nothing from their mistakes and stagnate.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:
canadamus_prime said:
dyre said:
It seems mostly pointless. I think it's basically a way for angry people to vent without actually doing anything harmful (or useful).

People who get offended should keep in mind that it's just a piece of cloth that's being burnt, instead of, you know, a human being.
It's more than just a piece of cloth, it's a symbol; and by burning said symbol it's basically like saying "fuck you" to the nation the flag represents.
Uh, yeah, so? People aren't allowed to say "fuck you" to our nation? We've certainly earned plenty of "fuck you"s.
So nothing. I was just saying that flags are more than just "pieces of cloth." as you put it.
Come on, man, read context. I was clearly pointing out that burning objects is completely harmless, and we really shouldn't bother with people for doing so when we live in a world where some people destroy human beings, not just flags.
You can't just trivialize the destruction of symbols that represent things that people believe in, even if you don't agree with or understand that belief. Surely you can understand the importance of symbols. Think of any of the symbols used in your favorite franchise of choice, be it game, movie, book, or whatever. Wouldn't you be rather upset if someone started burning or otherwise destroying them?

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Woodsey said:
That's a rather drastic oversimplification: plenty will have friends and family living in war zones that the US and UK have a tendency of invading.
What's your point? Their hatred of the US and the UK would make them more inclined to sympathize with and possibly join the terrorists, would it not?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
KingGolem said:
Woodsey said:
That's a rather drastic oversimplification: plenty will have friends and family living in war zones that the US and UK have a tendency of invading.
What's your point? Their hatred of the US and the UK would make them more inclined to sympathize with and possibly join the terrorists, would it not?
There's a pretty large leap from burning a flag in protest and blowing yourself up in a suicide bombing. Yes, I'm sure a few would be willing to make the leap, but it's not a case of 'with us or against us'. The difference in the methods is so extreme that to suggest flag burners 'undoubtedly' support mass murderers (or attempted mass murderers) is ridiculous.

I'm sure there are Norwegians who don't like multiculturalism, doesn't mean they sympathise with Anders Breivik.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
BOOM headshot65 said:
Hate it! HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE IT!!!!! No amount of words can describe how much I hate it. But I can try with these:

If it annoyes you so much and you are an American, WASH the flag. That is far more respectable. But if you are American and I see you BURNING the flag of YOUR country, I will Knock your lights out Find a fire extinguisher, even if it is dirt.
The ultimate irony is if no one was offended, or acted/admitted offence, toward flag burning no one would burn flags. Its done for impact. If someone wants to purchase a piece of material of certain colouration and burn it thats their business. I wont say anything or impede them or react in any way. Youre just an idiot for purchasing cloth youre going to burn. You didnt burn my flag you burnt your own flag since you bought it. And in my view thats pretty moronic.

Honestly flag burning is cuased by hatred toward flag burning in the same way if no one was offended by the N word or other racial slurs no one would say them. Because its so obvious that they would carry no weight it makes the user look silly. However that isnt the case and therefor people use them.