Poll: Do you enjoy Moviebob's content?

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
NiPah said:
I'm not a fan, mainly because our tastes are quite different.
And I don't care for some of his style choices on some of his videos, mainly how it seems like he speeds up the the dialog and his switching of accents (ok the last isn't something he choose to do, but it does pull me away when watching).
And because of that, I tend not to watch his videos, sometimes I do if the topic interests me, but it's not a regular thing.

All that being said it's just a taste thing, nothing is wrong with his videos, and I hope he continues to make them.
As someone who has lived in Boston his whole life, I can assure that his accent is fake as hell so you don't have to apologize, its a deliberate gimmick.

He's incredibly opinionated and arrogant, if you don't follow his views you are an idiot in his eyes. Not an endearing character trait at all. If I want good movie reviews I go to RLM, much more informative and educational.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I find his historical knowledge to be impressive and interesting but generally only look at his stuff if it's related to something I am already personally into. If he's reviewing or doing a piece on a movie or show that I don't care or know about, his style doesn't 'draw me in'.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I don't like his politics or his attitude, but he does have some good stuff once in a while. Mostly when he does Big Picture episodes about geek history.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
MovieBob is always entertaining, although I frequently disagree with his views as soon as politics enters the equation.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Seriously though, what comes across most prominently in Movie Bob's outlook is a mind with a narrow set of life experiences and almost completely cloistered in nerd culture. Has this guy ever had to work a hard manual labor job in his life, for instance (Gamestop doesn't count)? I can't help but wonder if his hostility towards masculinity is motivated by a desire to get back at some Boston meatheads that bullied him in his youth.
Yeah, this reminds me of his Big Picture episode over whether he would join Magneto's side over Professor X's if he was a mutant. His belief of "different=better" left me worried about his personality and really evidenced that not only he hasn't really dealt with some issues he has, but outright bases his entire personality and outlook on these. Considering I'm currently trying to deal with something similar, it astonishes me that he can embrace something so rooted in hate.
This, plus his poorly justified distaste for FPS and the blatant apologist nature he has for Nintendo really turned me away from him. What really put the nail in the coffin for me was his "Im not doing the usual fake thank you thing for 200 episodes of the big picture cos im just so great no seriously you guys". Ugh, if there's something I fucking hate, it's arrogance. His game overthinker intros certainly didn't help either. There's a concept in spanish called "vergüenza ajena", which is applied when something is so utterly embarrasing that no matter who does it, you still feel ashamed for even seeing it. That's what I felt when I saw those things, embarrassed for him.

So yeah, you could say I don't enjoy his output anymore.