Poll: Do you enjoy Moviebob's content?

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
PainInTheAssInternet said:
You can have all the opinions you like, but once you shove them out there in the public they almost have a duty to respond to it.
*blink blink* Good god. Did you just say the public is now duty-bound to respond to online opinions they disagree with?

What an exhausting proposition.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Ratty said:
I generally agree with the political values he espouses, but stopped following him and haven't been able to enjoy his work after he said "There are no bad tactics, only bad targets." on twitter. Which regardless of what you think of #Gamergate[footnote]It's NOT a hate group from what I've seen. In fact I've seen many more instances of doxxing, swatting and in one case even physical assault AGAINST Gamergaters only asking for journalistic reform.[/footnote] is the kind of statement one expects to hear from a literal fascist.

His stated goals may be good, but this mentality places him as part of a rising tide of people who dogpile harass individuals they disagree with for e-points rather than tackle the systemic causes of inequality. Which aside from being disgustingly hypocritcal [footnote]Apparently the scientist in #Shirtstorm was "asking for" his abuse because of what he was wearing- a shirt no one would have blinked at had it been worn by his female friend who designed it and gave it to him.[/footnote] hurts their own cause http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/feminism-rosetta-scientist-shirt-dapper-laughs-julien-blanc-inequality
Bob believes that the ends justify the means.

It's a very dangerous why of thinking, especially ironic in this case as those he decries can, and often do, say exactly the same thing while they go about harassing and sending threats to his friends.

Bob isn't a better person than them, he's just on a different "side"

psijac

$20 a year for this message
Nov 20, 2008
I have to admit Movie Bob is very knowlegdable on Movies and Comic Books. He recommended Surrogate which was kinda terrible Which is were I began to doubt is awesomeness. And then he Released his infamous PC gaming is dead video. After that he stopped being worth my time

TippiestRook

Nov 29, 2013
I absolutely hate him.

He's not funny at all(bro),an intolerable social justice warrior,insults people that don't agree with him,can't stop going on and on about Amazing Spiderman 2 and Man of Steel and I would be overjoyed if he were to leave this site.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
His pure pop culture stuff is good. Once he touches on politics and the like his stuff turns to shit.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
josak said:
For christ-sakes we as a society (in the US) have managed to embrace dropping a nuclear bomb on civilian targets because the target was sufficiently bad.
No, it was because they refused to fucking surrender!

Even at that both cities were military targets, just ones near the bottom of the list.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Elijah Newton said:
PainInTheAssInternet said:
You can have all the opinions you like, but once you shove them out there in the public they almost have a duty to respond to it.
*blink blink* Good god. Did you just say the public is now duty-bound to respond to online opinions they disagree with?

What an exhausting proposition.
Should have clarified. If you are a patron of an individual or an establishment and that individual/establishment makes their opinion on a subject very well-known and you become aware of it, you're practically obligated to react to it in some manner.

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Perhaps "obligated" is the wrong word, but even simply choosing to ignore something IS a reaction, as long as you're actively choosing to do so.

Besides, reacting to opinions with agreement, dissent or neutrality is... Well, discourse. There's nothing inherently wrong with it until you decide that individuals are more worthy targets than the ideas they espouse.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
How i rate Escapist contributors
1. Yahtzee
2. Jim Fucking Sterling son
3. The guys Who do Critical Miss
4. MovieBob
5. Hole where everyone else goes

MovieBob isn't my favorite contributor but he does make some of the content i come back to this website for Occasionally he does thing's I'm not fond of (Schlocktober, Whatever the E3 thing was) but his movie reviews are insightful for me and I like "The Big Picture" quite a lot.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Dark Knifer said:
So Moviebob on the escapist has a very large presence in terms of the amount of content he produces. He's constantly in the news section, writes a lot of different reviews and of course has the big picture but he's also been a bit of a dividing figure among the community, at least from what I've seen.

So I thought I might see what everyone thinks of him, what they like don't like etc. Oh and don't forgetting insulting contributors gets you in trouble so lets keep it civil... Please?

Personally, I enjoy him sometimes and sometimes not but generally I know what to avoid. For one I don't enjoy marvel movies so that's an easy thing to avoid but I have found him insightful on occasions and I enjoy his history lessons on various 'geek' things that have happened from before my time but I think his anger gets the best of him at times but that's more his twitter then here, though its been known to happen.

EDIT: Think the top option has dun goofed. It was meant to be "He's my favorite contributor" I'll try to edit it.
I thoroughly enjoy most of his work. I definitely don't always agree with him, but fortunately that is not a prerequisite for me enjoying his reviews and opinion pieces.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
President Bagel said:
My apologies if this was already posted. It's part of an ongoing series about people involved in gamergate. I wonder if the illustrator of this picture is aware that Movie Bob is opposed to gamergate.
I believe it's a play on "white knight".

But either way that doesn't really tell us what "side" the artist is on.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
President Bagel said:
My apologies if this was already posted. It's part of an ongoing series about people involved in gamergate. I wonder if the illustrator of this picture is aware that Movie Bob is opposed to gamergate.
This is so awesome! lol where does the chin stop and the neck start?

Seriously though, what comes across most prominently in Movie Bob's outlook is a mind with a narrow set of life experiences and almost completely cloistered in nerd culture. Has this guy ever had to work a hard manual labor job in his life, for instance (Gamestop doesn't count)? I can't help but wonder if his hostility towards masculinity is motivated by a desire to get back at some Boston meatheads that bullied him in his youth.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ratty said:
I generally agree with the political values he espouses, but stopped following him and haven't been able to enjoy his work after he said "There are no bad tactics, only bad targets." on twitter. Which regardless of what you think of #Gamergate[footnote]It's NOT a hate group from what I've seen. In fact I've seen many more instances of doxxing, swatting and in one case even physical assault AGAINST Gamergaters only asking for journalistic reform.[/footnote] is the kind of statement one expects to hear from a literal fascist.
This is in many ways my problem with the guy. After I read a few of the things he said on Gamergate I just don't wan't to fallow the guy. He's free to have whatever opinion he wants, but I don't know if I want to "support" that. I mean just compare Moviebob's reaction to Gamergate to Totalbiscuit's. It's not really a debate who handled it better.

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
I always check out Escape to the Movies and most episodes of the Big Pictures but when it comes to Game related content it's a mixed bag. As a few people have already mention he has the biggest nostalgia goggles for Nintendo and can weight in on debates he doesn't actually have an interesting or investment in, like the Mass Effect 3 Ending. Which yes people when overboard but haven't ever played a single Mass Effect game and not spending 60 plus on the story, I just didn't care about your opinion. Especially when Jim Sterling and other websites cover it better.