Poll: Do you feel good about receiving hate mail if it's a reply to you winning or beating someone?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Edit: In video games only not real life!(That wouldn't fit in the title.)

Hi Everyone!
Recently while playing Transformers:Fall of Cybertron I was playing Capture the Flag when a few rounds in I started getting messages from a name I didn't know from my friends list. Started to notice after their second message.

???: WTF!!!!!!!!!
???:I WAS SO CLOSE
???: U NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucane: r u mad because i stalked(*1) you before killing you?(Grammar= I was on a timer before the next match started.)
???: thats creepy .......... o_O
Lucane: little point shooting you when you had energon recover(*2) on
???: send me ur best insult
Lucane: I'd say whatever i did to get you to start messaging me was good enough. I'm done with this conversation.

At first I would of just let it go but he sent the third, so I felt a reply about my strategy was in order.
(I'm assuming it was the person I killed that way because no other kill stood out like that recently and he/she seemed to continue to reply as if it was that attack.)

Any way. Getting the flag back solo after shadowing my target was great enough,but the hate mail was so much more than icing on the cake for me. Is that weird?

Also, have you ever been the one to send hate mail?

Side note: I left out her/his name on purpose.
*1 :I followed ??? halfway across the map without attacking him/her while they basically had invincibility on.
*2 : Energon Recharger= Temporarily boosts health regeneration making the user nearly indestructible.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I find it amusing, maybe because I think I've caused someone to get angry enough to become so incoherent. Then I remember I'm on Xbox LIVE so that's actually normal grammar for 95% of the community.

But joking aside, yeah, I find it amusing if I receive some, just because I've made someone angry enough to threaten sexual dalliances with my mother/my girlfriend/myself.

I've also sent some messages that might have helped trigger amusing hate mail, especially to jet spawn campers on BF3 that I get killed by an enemy tank.[footnote]Seriously, if you're on my team and by the enemy spawn camping on the jets with a sniper, I will make every effort to attract a tank to you and get it to kill you, whilst escaping myself scot-free.[/footnote]

Dec 14, 2009
I play Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

90% of messages I receive are sore losers telling me how cheap/spammy/bad I am :D

I get bonus laughs when they I assume I'm a girl and either insult me, or try and hit on me.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
All my hate mail is from people who play Wesker/Dante in Marvel vs Capcom and slap me around with some bullshit never ending combo then tell me to stop playing. Or people who get mad because I used 4 straight Chaotic Flames to chip them out and they call me cheap. My favorite are the people whose ass I am kicking, but then my router cuts out mid combo just seconds away from my victory, and they proceed to think I rage quit and thus taunt me.

But no, I hate hate mail in all forms. Every time I get one, no matter the reason, I think that someone thought it was actually worth his time and mine to write some uncreative, grammatically incorrect, and likely offensive message, my day becomes a little worse.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I means i'm doing something right , so i like it . UMVC3 player here . I do get the occasiona " sick x-23" which makes me feel even better .

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Any time I get hate mail, I'm happy. Knowing that somebody has nothing better to do than send swearwords/racial slurs to random people over Xbox Live really makes me feel better about myself.

Plus, sometimes I grow everlasting friendships over hate mail, like my Xbox friend whose first message ever to me was "ur gay". :D

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, it can be quite funny when someone intelligent insults me but generally it's the generic 'ur gay' nonsense which is usually responded with 'u got beat by a ****** then bro' ;)

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
have recieved some, more often then not i got shit tons of voice messages...now THOSE were hilarious..the heavy breathing, intensity of their voice as they told me they were gonna fuck my whole family sideways for cheating and being a noob...

sweet delicious tears.

I usually don't respond, as I leave it at that, but if it's mid game and the person is being a complete douchenozzle with their strategy (this happens in tf2 more often than it should) and they get pissed, you bet your ass i'm going to troll them till they explode/rage quit.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I'm not sure, but I think there's a rather disturbing leap of logic between "frustrated by that guy" and "hating that guy".

But, should something like that happened, I would not feel good. To quote Farnsy, "Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Reminds me of watching my ex play WSG back when level 30 twinks were still a big thing, she was a monster (well, a gnome mage) and held quite some reputation on her battlegroup, to the point where hordes seeing her enter the match would leave and/or wouldn't take her on if they weren't at least four against her.

Needless to say, she got some hate spam from horde, especially, interestingly enough, from other mages, how she's outplaying them only because she's cheap and uses a build that shouldn't be allowed or something. She was on good terms with most of her usual battleground enemies though.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
I got accused of hacking numerous time during the CS:GO beta.

Serious or not, it was quite the ego boost.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
No, but I do get a fair number of hate in in-game chats sometimes.

I personally find it completly HILARIOUS, and a sing that I am doing well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I long for the day when someone in a competitive multiplayer game accuses me of using an aimbot.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I haven't received many but I just roll my eyes and ignore them. If your getting that stressed about a game your doing it wrong.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Ooooh, I wish I got hate mail like that. Closest I've had is in TF2, being such a good Engie that they were disallowed for the next game. ^^

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
When they resort to flaming it's wonderful. Because then I can win and laugh at their rage at the same time. I don't send any myself. Taking the loss like a man in silence or acknowledgement of defeat saves you the humiliation of being a sore loser.

If it's ingame raging my response is always "Trolololo!" as I proceed to grind their face into the dirt.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I don't get hate mail, at all. I don't play online much, so there's not much opportunity to be hated.
Daystar Clarion said:
I get bonus laughs when they I assume I'm a girl and either insult me, or try and hit on me.
How does that happen?
I thought girls playing video games was supposed to be a legend, not guys.

Dec 14, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
I don't get hate mail, at all. I don't play online much, so there's not much opportunity to be hated.
Daystar Clarion said:
How does that happen?
Well my name is Ashley, which is considered only a girl's name in the US.

So American players will see my profile and just assume I'm a woman.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
King of Asgaard said:
Daystar Clarion said:
How does that happen?
Well my name is Ashley, which is considered only a girl's name in the US.

So American players will see my profile and just assume I'm a woman.
Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.
Though, with the Evil Dead series, whose protagonist is named Ashley, you'd thing Americans would be more understanding of unisex names.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I've had my fair share of hatemail, whether it be playing lol or that brief time I had xbox live for a month to see what the fuss was all about.

With xboxlive, I was getting a dozen angry messages and voicemails per day :D Over the silliest and most insane crap, that truly made me sad for gamers in the sense I'd be under the impression I just played an awesome close game where either person could have won, then get angry message from guy calling me all sorts of names and obviously didn't enjoy the match at all, therefore making me feel crappy and reminding me that I'm wasting my life rather then doing something fun.

So didn't renew that xbox live sub and figured If i wanna get trolled or have people angry at me, i'd just stick with league of legends.

I certainly didn't enjoy hatemail, regardless of how I did, making people rage isn't why i game.